Jump to content

Leaving the US for extended time and lost PR card

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, 


My wallet was lost a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately my US PR card was in it. I have a 10 yr residency card and am one year away from applying for citizenship. I don't want to overstay my time outside the US to delay the process (more than 6 months of the year) but my mother has a heart condition and I would like to return to my country of origin to be with her for between 6 months to a year. As I recently lost my PR card I will need to get it reinstated so I'm wondering how I go about these two things? Can someone tell me how to apply to leave the country for this period of time without effecting my status and if I will need my PR to do this? (I have a state drivers license and my Irish passport). 


Thanks for any help with this! 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

File the I-90 for a replacement.

Take the receipt and make an appointment with the local USCIS field office (you may have to call the USCIS customer info line) to get an I-551 stamp. That will function as a green card for a year.

Remember to file US taxes and such. A single trip abroad for under a year should not be an issue to return.


Over 6 months abroad may or may not be considered as breaking continuous residency for naturalization purposes. That's a judgement call by the IO when the time comes.

See https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-d-chapter-3


1. Absence of More than Six Months (but Less than One Year)

An absence of more than six months [more than 181 days but less than one year (less than 365 days)] during the period for which continuous residence is required is presumed to break the continuity of such residence. This includes any absence that takes place prior to filing the naturalization application or between filing and the applicant’s admission to citizenship. [11] 

An applicant’s intent is not relevant in determining the location of his or her residence. The period of absence from the United States is the defining factor in determining whether the applicant is presumed to have disrupted his or her residence. 

An applicant may overcome the presumption of loss of his or her continuity of residence by providing evidence to establish that the applicant did not disrupt his or her residence. The evidence may include, but is not limited to, documentation that during the absence: [12] 

  • The applicant did not terminate his or her employment in the United States or obtain employment while abroad.

  • The applicant’s immediate family remained in the United States.

  • The applicant retained full access to his or her United States abode.




AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received





12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received



4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017



5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone, I am trying to replace my 10 year green card through the government website but it is asking for the PR card information and since I lost it (and didn't make a photocopy), I don't have this information. What is the easiest way to get this information so I can file for the replacement online? 





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...