johnnydobbins

DCF started today in Mexico City

22 posts in this topic

I was finally able to schedule an appointment and have one for two weeks from today. 

How were you able to pay the fee? I was told today it either needs to be a check or money order. Hearing conflicting info on whether to make it out to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” or ‘’U.S. Embassy’’ as well. 

Was planning on just using a credit card as I've always done for anything in the US embassy in CDMX, so glad I found this out with time to spare. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

I was finally able to schedule an appointment and have one for two weeks from today. 

How were you able to pay the fee? I was told today it either needs to be a check or money order. Hearing conflicting info on whether to make it out to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” or ‘’U.S. Embassy’’ as well. 

Was planning on just using a credit card as I've always done for anything in the US embassy in CDMX, so glad I found this out with time to spare. 

If your appointment is with the USCIS then any payment is made to them and not to the embassy/ consulate 

YMMV

My appointment is with USCIS. On the first post on this page there is a link to a lot of info about the process in Mexico City which included this excerpt below, which is not dated so was curious about what the most up to date info was. I've emailed them as well but don't expect a fast response.

"

At the time of this writing the fee for an I-130 is USD$535 but is subject to change. Different USCIS offices accept different forms of payment. I emailed the Mexico City USCIS directly and received the following payment options:

• Cashier’s check from a bank located in the U.S. It must be payable to ‘’U.S. Embassy’’
  • Giro Bancario. It may be obtained from a bank or currency exchange house in Mexico. It must be payable in U.S. currency and the amount must be written in English. It must be payable to U.S. Embassy. (Note: we don’t take “Giros Bancarios” from MONEX, CI Banco and HSBC)

I went to a Santander, 2 Banamexs, and 2 Bancomers and none were able to help me with the Giro Bancario. Bancomer was willing to send a Giro to the US embassy, but they could not write the amount in english. I had relative in the US take out a cashier's check and Fedex it to me instead."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, hackettl said:

Great info, thanks! Shoot, I was planning on using card too!! Anyone have any updates on this info? If not to get a check ASAP from the 

Straight from the Mexico uscis site.

For all other applications and petitions that you submit to this office, you must pay the fees to the U.S.. Embassy cashier in U.S.. dollars, U.S credit cards, or U.S. debit cards only. If you pay with a credit or debit card, the cardholder must appear in person.

cash (dollars) or card, doesn't appear to accept checks or money order 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
16 hours ago, payxibka said:

Straight from the Mexico uscis site.

For all other applications and petitions that you submit to this office, you must pay the fees to the U.S.. Embassy cashier in U.S.. dollars, U.S credit cards, or U.S. debit cards only. If you pay with a credit or debit card, the cardholder must appear in person.

Thank you! I'd seen that info but wanted to be 100% sure that it was accurate (I'm a bit paranoid!!) I also wrote them an e-mail to triple confirm and they already replied confirming that they also accept: 

• US debit card
  • US or Mexican credit card
  • USD

In case anyone else is reading this...

• 2 months later...

@johnnydobbins have you finished the process yet? Specifically, what was your experience with booking the actual interview in Juarez?

My wife and I have been checking the site multiple times per day every day and there is never anything available. 

We have been calling every number we can find related to the consulate in Juarez and no one can provide any information whatsoever of when appointments will become available. 

I'm now concerned we won't get one before our scheduled move at the beginning of August. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.