Seanrm

I've mad a massive mistake and might've messed up my whole K1 application in Ireland

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My interview is in 3 weeks in Ireland and my passport expires in 6 months. For some reason I was under the assumption I can just renew it after the interview

But now by the time I have my interview it will only have 5 months

I can't renew it now because it will take 4 weeks and they need my old passport. My passport is UK. And I can't go to the interview with no passport...

Is there anything I can do?

Edited by Seanrm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Seanrm said:

My interview is in 3 weeks in Ireland and my passport expires in 6 months. For some reason I was under the assumption I can just renew it after the interview

But now by the time I have my interview it will only have 5 months

I can't renew it now because it will take 4 weeks and they need my old passport. My passport is UK. And I can't go to the interview with no passport...

Is there anything I can do?

Call the embassy and ask. They might reschedule your interview to a later date 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Call the embassy and ask. They might reschedule your interview to a later date 

Struggling to actually find a person to talk to. It's all automated and none of the options fit me. Did send an online message to them though

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Seanrm said:

Struggling to actually find a person to talk to. It's all automated and none of the options fit me. Did send an online message to them though

Sometimes I am a jerk and still connect to somebody even tho my question doesnt fit the phone option. Sometimes the agent can give u a diff phone number or just forward you to the right person/extension. U dont have anything to lose so give it a try.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Sometimes I am a jerk and still connect to somebody even tho my question doesnt fit the phone option. Sometimes the agent can give u a diff phone number or just forward you to the right person/extension. U dont have anything to lose so give it a try.

This is exactly what I did! Spoke to a really nice fella at the embassy

Basically he said they can put the visa in my old passport and I renew it, but Id have to keep both passports and travel with them

My other option is going to northern ireland and getting one on the day for a premium price

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Personally, I would see about getting a passport fast.

If you are due to travel in less than 3 weeks you should apply in person to a Passport Office. To apply in person at a Passport Office, you must book an appointment online.

If you require a passport urgently, you should contact the Passport Service.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/renewing_an_irish_passport.html

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Seanrm said:

This is exactly what I did! Spoke to a really nice fella at the embassy

Basically he said they can put the visa in my old passport and I renew it, but Id have to keep both passports and travel with them

My other option is going to northern ireland and getting one on the day for a premium price

This is also an option.  Many folks travel with an expired passport that still contains valid visas along with a current passport.  Visa validity dates rarely are inline with the passport validity dates.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.