Matt F

K-1 Visa Health Insurance/Necessary Medical Testing (Biopsy)

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a loaded question and it seems the headaches never end with this process - 

Summary: My fiancee and I (Thai National) have finally passed the difficult and coveted stage of the interview and are simply waiting for the K-1 Visa to be mailed to her.

During the medical examination, due to fear and uncertainty on her part, she finally decided to divulge to me that the doctor during what im assuming is the X-Rays may have found a tumor within her uterus. Possible endometrial cancer i.e. She is relatively young which is an uncommon occurence for those her age but this condition is not entirely uncommon among females and it does run in her family. Being that she chose the most wonderfully opportune time to tell me in the midst of the final days for myself to book a flight and to come here, then do the process of getting married, we seem to be in this pause of a few months where it is unlikely she will be covered under insurance.

To add to the complication, I am currently active duty military and covered under health insurance, which as a dependent she will be added under as well - in due time. In that "due time" I will be separating as well and it will take some amount of time for her to get that coverage.

I know this is a very in-depth question but I suppose I can ask it in layman's terms - Does anyone have epxerience for the amount of time it takes to add a dependent from k-1 visa to the Tricare health insurance OR does anyone know what my options would be for temporary insurance with a "pre-existing" condition. 

Any help would be appreciated

Matt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

**Post moved from K1 to Military Immigration-Related Discussion.

Hi Matt - I moved your post here because I think you will be able to get direct information. However, adding her to your insurance should be the same as adding her to a civilian's insurance and should not be too tedious.

Make sure she gets her SSN ASAP after arriving; you will need it to add her to health care. Here's a link to the guide  https://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn/ read this and print the part that says it's for K1 holders because you may need to educate the SSA employee.

I would also get married right away too, because you may be asked to submit a copy of the marriage certificate.

She should be covered right away after that. 

Edited by C-ma'am

On 8/22/2019 at 10:53 AM, C-ma'am said:

**Post moved from K1 to Military Immigration-Related Discussion.

Hi Matt - I moved your post here because I think you will be able to get direct information. However, adding her to your insurance should be the same as adding her to a civilian's insurance and should not be too tedious.

Make sure she gets her SSN ASAP after arriving; you will need it to add her to health care. Here's a link to the guide  https://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn/ read this and print the part that says it's for K1 holders because you may need to educate the SSA employee.

I would also get married right away too, because you may be asked to submit a copy of the marriage certificate.

She should be covered right away after that. 

Isnt that how regular insurance work though? Tricare works different. You should be covered straight away. I didnt have a SSN at first and I was covered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Just now, Londonergirl said:

Isnt that how regular insurance work though? Tricare works different. You should be covered straight away. I didnt have a SSN at first and I was covered.

That's why I moved the post here. There might be something I don't specifically about Tricare. Personally, I would call Tricare and ask what's needed to avoid any type of conjecture.  

I moved here on a K1 visa and my husband is active duty. I was covered on Tricare straight away after we got married.

Edited by Londonergirl

An SSN is not required to have health insurance, but it will make life obtaining it a lot easier.

The best process is to get the SSN asap, get married asap, and add her to insurance asap. Then I would get her evaluated by a very good doctor that specializes in this.

Temporary insurances will not cover pre-existing conditions, they are subpar and are not ACA compliant. You can purchase private health insurance plans that are ACA compliant, but there should be no reason why she cannot be added as a spouse asap to your Tricare.

I am not aware of any xray that involves the uterus for a visa medical exam. It is usually a chest xray. There are many reasons why a woman would have a large tumor in their uterus that are non-cancerous, but if she has a family history she certainly needs a proper screening.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.