Summerbrezz07

Meeting in person.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I’m looking for some  opinions..... I am well aware of the requirement of having met each other within two years of filing the  petition.  I went to visit my fiancé in October 2018, and we will be filing our petition within the next few months. But since it’s approaching a year since we have Physically seen each other and  although  we have plenty of proof to provide , I  was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and have another visit before we actually file the I-129 F.  Any comments and/or experiences would be appreciated . Ultimately the interview would take place at embassy in Mumbai 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Summerbrezz07 said:

I’m looking for some  opinions..... I am well aware of the requirement of having met each other within two years of filing the  petition.  I went to visit my fiancé in October 2018, and we will be filing our petition within the next few months. But since it’s approaching a year since we have Physically seen each other and  although  we have plenty of proof to provide , I  was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and have another visit before we actually file the I-129 F.  Any comments and/or experiences would be appreciated . Ultimately the interview would take place at embassy in Mumbai 

Personally, I felt confident with my fiancé going into the interview. I haven’t seen my fiancé since February and wanted to go but it’s expensive and she wanted to fly back together so I decided to wait until after her interview. So she had her interview yesterday and they told her they wanted me to be there at a different Interview. I know it’s not a requirement, but they requested I be there with my fiancé. I’ll probably head out there in early-mid September. 

Timeline

It’s definitely a good idea to see each other as much as possible. It helps to support your case of being a true couple. It’s my opinion that it’s better to make multiple trips and make your length of stay shorter, as opposed to making 1 or 2 trips with a longer length of stay. 

Our CR1 Journey

Met - 1/14/2010 // Engaged - 3/6/2011

K1 filed - 6/8/11 // Interview @ Mumbai Consulate - 1/5/2012: Denied // USCIS final decision - 3/15/2013; administratively closed and free to file again without prejudice

Married in Delhi - 1/30/2014

Sent I-130: 4/7/2014 NOA 1: 4/10/2014

NOA 2: 11/13/2014 (after 217 days)

NVC Received: 11/26/2014 (13 days from USCIS to the NVC)  // Case # & IIN # received - 12/29/2014 (via phone to NVC) Also sent email to get case transferred to New Delhi

NVC Welcome Letter received: 12/30/2014

Submit DS-261: 12/30/2014 // Paid AOS Bill: 1/2/2015  // Received IV Bill & Paid: 1/13/2015 (CEAC shows PAID 1/15/15) // DS-260 submitted: 1/17/2015

AOS & IV packages sent via FedEx: 1/19/2015  // AOS/IV packages received: 1/21/2015 @ 9:58 am (Signed for by: G. Waters) Scan date: 1/21/2015

60-Day Email from NVC: 1/24/2015 2nd 60-Day Email from NVC: 1/26/2015 (OK...I get it, it's taking 60 days.... sigh)

Reply from NVC re: Transfer to New Delhi : 2/16/2015 (Told to contact New Delhi...49 days wasted for no help at all!)

CASE COMPLETE!!: 3/12/2015 (50 days) // Case Complete Email Received: 3/19/2015 (7 days from CC date)

Interview Date Received via phone inquiry to NVC: 3/24/2015 // Packet 4 (Interview letter/Instructions) received: 3/25/2015

Medical Completed: 3/30/2015 // CEAC status: In transit to Mumbai and shows READY as of 4/1/2015

Biometrics Completed: 5/4/2015 // Received call from Embassy 5/11/2015 asking if we want to transfer to Delhi.....huh? One week prior to interview? Ummm.... no thanks!

INTERVIEW!! 5/18/2015 @ 7:30 am ~ Mumbai Consulate  RESULT: APPROVED!!!

Visa in hand: 05/20/2015 (Yay!) ELIS Fee ($165) paid this day as well

POE: 05/29/2015 Newark 

SSN card received: 6/8/2015 (processed on 6/2/2015) // ELIS shows "Optimized" since 5/30/2015  // ELIS changed to "In Process" 07/14/2015. (E-file received 06/25/15)

GREEN CARD RECEIVED!! 7/30/2015

ROC

Sent:  3/22/2017 | $680 Check cashed: 4/3/2017

NOA1: 3/30/2017 (Rcvd 4/3/2017)

Biometrics Appt letter received: 4/22/2017 - Biometrics date:  5/3/2017 - Done. Hubby said they were super friendly in the Pittsburgh field office! 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ruben218 said:

Personally, I felt confident with my fiancé going into the interview. I haven’t seen my fiancé since February and wanted to go but it’s expensive and she wanted to fly back together so I decided to wait until after her interview. So she had her interview yesterday and they told her they wanted me to be there at a different Interview. I know it’s not a requirement, but they requested I be there with my fiancé. I’ll probably head out there in early-mid September. 

I myself planned on attending the interview with my fiancé as well. Best of luck to you and your fiancé. I hope everything works out for you both.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Summerbrezz07 said:

I think it fulfills the requirement and you should be fine. We filed for our I-129F 6 months after our in-person meeting and it wasn't a problem. As long as the relationship is solid and you can show other evidences I would say you're fine either way. I also waited until the interview in Mumbai (which was one year after our last meeting), and that also was no problem. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lynn n Sam said:

It’s definitely a good idea to see each other as much as possible. It helps to support your case of being a true couple. It’s my opinion that it’s better to make multiple trips and make your length of stay shorter, as opposed to making 1 or 2 trips with a longer length of stay. 

Thanks !

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Akipog said:

I think it fulfills the requirement and you should be fine. We filed for our I-129F 6 months after our in-person meeting and it wasn't a problem. As long as the relationship is solid and you can show other evidences I would say you're fine either way. I also waited until the interview in Mumbai (which was one year after our last meeting), and that also was no problem. 

Glad to hear someone with a similar experience. We do have solid proof of our relationship , which makes me very confident 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 8/15/2019 at 4:38 AM, Summerbrezz07 said:

If the price of a trip is a challenge, sign up for Emirates/Etihad/Qatar Air/Turkish Air newsletters and keep an eye on their sales. Sometimes you can get a good discount on tickets. And hotels in India exist in virtually every price range. Go enjoy time with your Fiancé! There's lots of fun tourist activities you can enjoy together (or take a day trip to another city) and the weather in India is starting to get more comfortable for the winter.

Timeline
7 hours ago, 9000miles said:

If the price of a trip is a challenge, sign up for Emirates/Etihad/Qatar Air/Turkish Air newsletters and keep an eye on their sales. Sometimes you can get a good discount on tickets. And hotels in India exist in virtually every price range. Go enjoy time with your Fiancé! There's lots of fun tourist activities you can enjoy together (or take a day trip to another city) and the weather in India is starting to get more comfortable for the winter.

@9000 thanks for the tips , I’ll definitely be looking into it.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Summerbrezz07 said:

@9000 thanks for the tips , I’ll definitely be looking into it.

If you don’t mind me asking, which city is your fiancé in? I (white guy) have been in north India for about a year while my wife (indian) wait for our spousal visa. I’ve been around the country and maybe could give advice on things to see/do.

Timeline
9 hours ago, 9000miles said:

If you don’t mind me asking, which city is your fiancé in? I (white guy) have been in north India for about a year while my wife (indian) wait for our spousal visa. I’ve been around the country and maybe could give advice on things to see/do.

He is from the Jammu area  and we visited Amritsar in October of last year. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.