AOK

GC interview evidence - no EAD yet

6 posts in this topic

I filed at the beginning of March 2019 (receipt date 03/08/19) and my interview for my green card is on September 9th in Los Angeles. I never received my EAD though so I don't have a state ID, US drivers license or anything else that the interview letter asks to bring as evidence of my life here. I do have a SSN that I got as soon as I arrived. Because of this, what do I need/can I bring as documents establishing my eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident Status, as the letter asks for?  

My wife has been financially supporting me and so everything is in her name, and also I have only been in the US since December 2018 and have not been able to work yet due to not receiving my EAD so I haven't filed any taxes  - the only evidence I have to bring to the interview is our lease agreement for our old apartment and the lease agreement for our new apartment (we are moving this week), I am included on her family phone plan, I am on her health insurance, and we have a cat together who's vet bills have both of our names on. Also when we married we just had a very small, low key ceremony with a few close friends, one of whom officiated. It was a nice intimate, private evening and we didn't take any pictures because we are planning a big wedding ceremony with all of our family and friends in a couple of years once we can afford it. Will it be ok that we don't have any photos of our wedding? At the time we were just wanting a nice evening together and with our friends, not about documenting evidence for immigration purposes. 

Also one last thing is that the letter asks me to bring all travel documents used to enter the US - I know i have an I-94 for when I arrived on my K1 visa but do I also have one for every other time I entered the country to visit with an ESTA? 

I know a lot of people always ask about what to bring to the interview and I have read many topics about that but was unable to find answers to these specific questions, so sorry if this is repeating anything previously answered that I just didn't see and thank you to anyone who is able to help. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, AOK said:

My wife has been financially supporting me and so everything is in her name, and also I have only been in the US since December 2018 and have not been able to work yet due to not receiving my EAD so I haven't filed any taxes  

You could have gotten added to her bank account and filed taxes together if the marriage was before the end of 2018. But that is neither here nor there. Take whatever you have. You seem to have some things which ought to be good enough.  The list they supply is generic so don't worry about what you don't have. 

I-94 and visa showing you properly entered with inspection. 

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

You could have gotten added to her bank account and filed taxes together if the marriage was before the end of 2018. But that is neither here nor there. Take whatever you have. You seem to have some things which ought to be good enough.  The list they supply is generic so don't worry about what you don't have. 

I-94 and visa showing you properly entered with inspection. 

We married in January 2019 so filing taxes together wasn’t an option. 

She can add you to her bank account as a beneficiary in case of death -if having a joint account is not an option-.

In any case, the evidence you already have sounds good and enough. 

Some forum members who went through the AOS interview recently, have shared they weren't actually asked for documents to prove the relationship and were approved on the spot. 

Try not to worry and good luck. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This should be sufficient! Dont worry to much. If you can have your wife try to add you as a beneficiary to bank accounts, 401K or other assets or as an authorized user to credit cards, it takes 5 mins online for many credit card companies. But overall in my opinion you are in good shape. The more evidence, the better. Take what you can! Best of luck!

Take what you can. We recently completed our AOS interview in Los Angeles and they were less concerned with the amount of hard evidence and more on our relationship. If you married not too long ago they also tend to be more lenient--they understand that these things may take time (we also did not have wedding pictures). You seem to have some good evidence and I would not be too worried.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.