DS & DS

Biometric Appointment - First "No", now "Yes"

8 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I filed for removal of the conditions on my GC in December 2018.

In March 2019 I received a letter, that they can re-use my existing biometrics and that I don't have to come in for another appointment.

But yesterday (August 10) I received a letter with a biometrics appointment on August 21.😯

Do I need to be concerned? Or were they just so slow that my previous biometrics expired, before they got to work on my application?

On a side note: Does anybody else think its pretty short notice to receive a letter with an appointment 11 days later?

What if I would have been on a 2 week cruise? They explicitly stated that my application will be considered abandoned, if I don't show up for the appointment or request to reschedule it.

Thanks a lot for your opinion in advance

Daniela 

No need to be concerned. They sent out those notices to everyone with an open case in mass. This actually means they're looking at your case, the biometrics waiver was them sending out a blanket to everyone. So this is a good thing.

And honestly short notice or not, USCIS doesn't care. It's usually recommended not to travel and such while in these processes for reasons like you said.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

3 minutes ago, Ash. said:

No need to be concerned. They sent out those notices to everyone with an open case in mass. This actually means they're looking at your case, the biometrics waiver was them sending out a blanket to everyone.

And honestly short notice or not, USCIS doesn't care. It's usually recommended not to travel and such while in these processes for reasons like you said.

Thanks a lot. That makes me feel better.

As for the not travelling: I got an 18 month extension letter for my green card. I think it's unreasonable to be asked not to travel for such an extended period of time. I get it, the USCIS doesn't care, but that doesn't mean that I have to like being subject to their slow processing and resulting unreasonable demands. Some people also have to travel for work for extended periods of times. Are they supposed to tell their employer: "sorry, can't do it. It's possible (even though not likely) I'll receive a letter from the USCIS". Especially if they, as in my case, first tell the petitioner, that they don't have to come for a biometric appointment at all, and now I have to come within less than 2 weeks.

Hope that didn't come across as too harsh. I just never liked being told what I can and cannot do. I understand that rules and processes are necessary, but I think that they can be set up that way that there is time to treat people with respect and dignity.

Thanks for letting me vent 😊

Daniela

No worries.

Never said you had to like it, more a just be aware of the risks. Same reason a lot of people won't move during the process, sometimes the addresses don't get updated and RFE's, biometric notices, or even green cards don't get delivered.

Normally those who travel have others check their mail or get signed up for the Informed Delivery through USPS, at least based on a majority of posts on the form.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you can't make the appointment, all you have to do is email to reschedule. I don't let the process slow down my life, or my wife's. I have a trip in November for 3 weeks out of the country, Have a week cruise scheduled and already paid for in January 2020, I could get the interview letter for my wife's AOS  anytime I'm gone, but if I can't make it, I will just reschedule. Kinda be a bummer to miss the appointment, but like you said, don't let anyone dictate your life.

I think our biometrics was around the same amount of time out, it was a short appointment window, we did a walk-in the next day after the letter came because I was going out of town to work on the day of the appointment, no problems. If you can, do a walk-in early. I recommend " Walk-in Wednesday" as they call it at my local office.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

21 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

If you can't make the appointment, all you have to do is email to reschedule. I don't let the process slow down my life, or my wife's. I have a trip in November for 3 weeks out of the country, Have a week cruise scheduled and already paid for in January 2020, I could get the interview letter for my wife's AOS  anytime I'm gone, but if I can't make it, I will just reschedule. Kinda be a bummer to miss the appointment, but like you said, don't let anyone dictate your life.

I think our biometrics was around the same amount of time out, it was a short appointment window, we did a walk-in the next day after the letter came because I was going out of town to work on the day of the appointment, no problems. If you can, do a walk-in early. I recommend " Walk-in Wednesday" as they call it at my local office.

Hi Loren,

I had no idea that you could do a walk in. It says on that letter that you should not show up more than 15 minutes early due to limited space in the waiting area. What USCIS office did you have to go to?

Unfortunately, I am not directly around the corner from the USCIS office. I have an appointment for next week Wednesday and I also have a pretty cool manager, so that I should have no problem making my appointment.

My, admittedly typical German, complaint was more in principle than me really having a problem with it.

Have a great evening

Daniela

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, DS & DS said:

Hi Loren,

I had no idea that you could do a walk in. It says on that letter that you should not show up more than 15 minutes early due to limited space in the waiting area. What USCIS office did you have to go to?

Unfortunately, I am not directly around the corner from the USCIS office. I have an appointment for next week Wednesday and I also have a pretty cool manager, so that I should have no problem making my appointment.

My, admittedly typical German, complaint was more in principle than me really having a problem with it.

Have a great evening

Daniela

I know, they have a list of offices on here that lets people mention if early walk-in are ok at their local office. My letter said the same thing, and we went to the office and I thought it was closed there were so few cars in the lot. Once security checked us thru we went to the biometric room and the officer there was doing nothing. There wasn't a single person in the whole room that could probably hold 50 people based on the number of chairs there. We were in and out in 10 minutes, and the guy doing the prints was really nice actually. I noticed he had a nice watch on like I owned and we were chatting about it while he did his thing. I was actually amazed at how nice it was overall. I hope the rest of my interactions with my local office are as nice. I have heard horrible things about it from people at work who were working on their citizenship, but so far so good. The office is only 16-17 miles from my house, so not a far drive. If you are a long way from the office, I wouldn't risk a walk in and get turned away, better to wait for your appointment. The whole process is mind boggling for sure. Why it isn't a faster process simply amazes me. The money they are bringing in from fees should way more than cover any costs to ramp up the process, but they are trying from the occasional news article I see posted on here. So, hopefully some improvement soon.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We should pin this thread as a sticky on biometrics since it seems so many people had them waived and then got scheduled for them anyway later.  

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.