MisterModo

Long Period of Travel & I-130 Forms

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MisterModo said:

I see, well we can't be the first couple to have traveled a lot...  There must be a way to fill out this form with some times as a tourist on there, no?

Of course there is.  For the 14 months from departure date to re-arrival date for address you put "touristing " and use the chronicle as your evidence of no permanent residence at time of interview.

This is not that difficult,  just gotta think outside the box 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

So the topic has been confused a bit by talking about both the I-130 and the DS-260.

But going to the I-130 for a moment, when I enter both employment and residence history, should I be doing it in a strictly chronological way?  Because the way I had it now, I had left a gap for the travels.  For example,  under employment I had my current self-employed status first, then the second entry had my last job from before the traveling, leaving a gap in the dates there for my traveling period.  So, should I change that to put the traveling period second, then the previous job 3rd (which would put it on the Supplemental page)?  And the same question goes for how I had entered residence history.

Edited by MisterModo

42 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Traveling is not employment 

What I mean is, should I put my current self-employed info first, then "Unemployed" in the second slot with the dates for the travel, then my previous job after that, in order to be chronological?  Initially, I was going to skip over the travel/unemployed dates because, just as you say, traveling is not employment.  However, the form does say, "If you are currently unemployed, type or print 'unemployed' in item 42."  So, that got me wondering if they want other (long) periods of unemployment entered in the employment history section. 

If not, I go back to my original question, which is how and where exactly in the form I should explain the gap in my employment record?  And the same question applies for the housing history.  Should I put my travel period in the "Physical Address 2" slot, or skip over it there, and explain the gap in the Supplemental section?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
40 minutes ago, MisterModo said:

What I mean is, should I put my current self-employed info first, then "Unemployed" in the second slot with the dates for the travel, then my previous job after that, in order to be chronological?  Initially, I was going to skip over the travel/unemployed dates because, just as you say, traveling is not employment.  However, the form does say, "If you are currently unemployed, type or print 'unemployed' in item 42."  So, that got me wondering if they want other (long) periods of unemployment entered in the employment history section. 

If not, I go back to my original question, which is how and where exactly in the form I should explain the gap in my employment record?  And the same question applies for the housing history.  Should I put my travel period in the "Physical Address 2" slot, or skip over it there, and explain the gap in the Supplemental section?

If the title to the section is employment history that is all that is listed there, if the section is address history that is all that is listed there.

You could use part 9 if you want to include additional information/explanation.  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

6 hours ago, MisterModo said:

Yes.  If you were unemployed during a gap, then you should put unemployed.

For residences, if you were travelling, was there still a place where you had mail delivered?  That would be your permanent residence and the place you would put as your residence.  A temporary location is not a residence. Your wife may also have had some sort of permanent residence despite travelling.

For example, my brother traveled around Australia for 6 months.  During that time his permanent residence was in Canada and his mail was delivered to that residence.  He would not list every stop over, campsite, or friend's couch as a residence.

Secondary example - if you go to school out of state you may use your parent's home address for your driver's license and mail.  That would be a permanent residence and you would not list college dorms as a residence.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

15 hours ago, NikLR said:

Yes.  If you were unemployed during a gap, then you should put unemployed.

For residences, if you were travelling, was there still a place where you had mail delivered?  That would be your permanent residence and the place you would put as your residence.  A temporary location is not a residence. Your wife may also have had some sort of permanent residence despite travelling.

For example, my brother traveled around Australia for 6 months.  During that time his permanent residence was in Canada and his mail was delivered to that residence.  He would not list every stop over, campsite, or friend's couch as a residence.

Secondary example - if you go to school out of state you may use your parent's home address for your driver's license and mail.  That would be a permanent residence and you would not list college dorms as a residence.

Okay thanks.  I've gotten some conflicting answers now, but I think this way makes the most sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.