shallot343

Affidavit of Support before 2019 taxes filed (proof of income)

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

quick question (I think this may have been answered but I can't find a succinct thread regarding this)

I am currently still awaiting NOA2 but want to make sure NVC documents are in order so we can upload quickly (beneficiary is a UKC). I am currently making more than double the minimum income for a household size of two, and I started my job in January 2019. Assuming the VJ timelines are close to correct we should have NOA2 in November and likely will need my Affidavit of Support documents by December/Jan, with an interview date for, hopefully, Feb/March.

The problem is, I will not yet have filed my 2019 tax return by the time these documents are needed. I have access to 3 years prior tax returns, however I was working abroad during those years and while I did file and my income in US$ is shown (and sufficient!), I know foreign - earned income does not count.

My question: Will a year's worth of paystubs showing my YTD earnings and a letter from my employer, alongside earlier tax returns (showing consistent earning, though abroad), be sufficient for the Affidavit of Support? Or should I prepare a joint sponsor? 

I plan to file my taxes as early as possible, so by the time the interview comes up, I should have the completed 2019 return-- can my spouse bring this along to interview as an update ?

thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone- bumping this with another question! I saw in another forum that an embassy requested a joint sponsor for a petitioner who had worked abroad in 2018 (and thus had 0 US income on the 2018 tax return) despite paystubs and employment letters from from jan 2019 until now showing adequate income earned in the US.

given that my VJ timeline says we should get NOA2 in late October/ early November, how long can we reasonably delay the medical and interview to ensure that my 2019 tax return is filed by this point. I’m hoping to delay these until January so that we will have my 2019 taxes filed  showing US earned income. Will this be possible? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
42 minutes ago, shallot343 said:

Hi everyone- bumping this with another question! I saw in another forum that an embassy requested a joint sponsor for a petitioner who had worked abroad in 2018 (and thus had 0 US income on the 2018 tax return) despite paystubs and employment letters from from jan 2019 until now showing adequate income earned in the US.

given that my VJ timeline says we should get NOA2 in late October/ early November, how long can we reasonably delay the medical and interview to ensure that my 2019 tax return is filed by this point. I’m hoping to delay these until January so that we will have my 2019 taxes filed  showing US earned income. Will this be possible? 

Definitely, as you can drag your feet in submitting documents to NVC 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Once you get your NOA2, approval notice, the case file will then be shipped to NVC where you will start the processing there, which can take months.  Partly how fast the process at NVC is completed is up to you, so you could, potentially, drag feet long enough to have filed your 2019 tax return.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/begin-nat-visa-center.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/PDF-other/Uploading%20to%20CEAC-instrucions.pdf

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 8/7/2019 at 9:03 AM, shallot343 said:

Hi all, 

quick question (I think this may have been answered but I can't find a succinct thread regarding this)

I am currently still awaiting NOA2 but want to make sure NVC documents are in order so we can upload quickly (beneficiary is a UKC). I am currently making more than double the minimum income for a household size of two, and I started my job in January 2019. Assuming the VJ timelines are close to correct we should have NOA2 in November and likely will need my Affidavit of Support documents by December/Jan, with an interview date for, hopefully, Feb/March.

The problem is, I will not yet have filed my 2019 tax return by the time these documents are needed. I have access to 3 years prior tax returns, however I was working abroad during those years and while I did file and my income in US$ is shown (and sufficient!), I know foreign - earned income does not count.

My question: Will a year's worth of paystubs showing my YTD earnings and a letter from my employer, alongside earlier tax returns (showing consistent earning, though abroad), be sufficient for the Affidavit of Support? Or should I prepare a joint sponsor? 

I plan to file my taxes as early as possible, so by the time the interview comes up, I should have the completed 2019 return-- can my spouse bring this along to interview as an update ?

thank you!!

You will likely have the W2 with you by Jan 15 2020, at least online. Provide the W2 for 2019 and a statement stating that you are still awaiting your tax related documents from other institution and as a result cannot provide the tax return or transcript for 2019. Just add the previous 3 year transcript.

Especially if your income is 3x-4x the 125% poverty guidelines, I wouldn't worry much!

Edited by saladboye

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.