kalamputi

advice for bringing relatives over from PH

18 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kalamputi said:

outside the box.

This term is wholly incongruent with all things US immigration.

3 hours ago, kalamputi said:

Look, to be clear, we just started looking into all of this after the decision was made to NOT try and live in the Philippines. So, I am exploring my options-all of them. As explained, we haven't even bothered with my wife's citizenship because it simply did not matter that much. And it may still not, depending on what route we choose to go.

Not having even looked into a work visa, I am ignorant of the requirements but of course I know they're not letting just anyone in. But since it appears to be my wife's best bet to get a relative into the US, we're going to look into it some more and obviously will find out whether or not a bachelor's in psychology will get her very far. She had a friend with a similar degree get a job at a hotel here in Maine; she has since gone home. I'm guess for the lucky ones who get to stay, they're going to either meet and marry someone here-and then their requirements won't matter anyway-or they're going to be exceptionally qualified and allowed to stay on their own merit.

44 minutes ago, kalamputi said:

There's a number of people telling me what isn't possible. For those who have told me, you're looking at 20 plus years for a sibling, I appreciate the hard info, that's what I'm here for but how about one of you tell me what is possible, outside the box. Otherwise I'll just sit here and get depressed reading the replies.

And believe me, I get it, a degree in psychology, big whoops! There's got to be another way.

Nothing wrong with researching your options. And people here are not coming down on you for doing what you are doing. It is a harsh reality for most immigrants that want to bring over their family that it either takes a long time or can't be done. I know people who leave developing countries do so for a better life and they want the same for their families. But to bring over there family is just that it is not as easy as many believe. Immigration is a humbling experience. It takes a huge amount of sacrifice to immigrate anywhere in the world.

The harsh truth is that not everyone that wants to come to America will not be able to make it. We even see married members here on VJ who get their spousal visas denied. Some make the decision to go to the loved one's country instead. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, kalamputi said:

There's a number of people telling me what isn't possible. For those who have told me, you're looking at 20 plus years for a sibling, I appreciate the hard info, that's what I'm here for but how about one of you tell me what is possible, outside the box. Otherwise I'll just sit here and get depressed reading the replies.

And believe me, I get it, a degree in psychology, big whoops! There's got to be another way.

Marriage and Study have been mentioned.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.