Victor & Helen

Postponing AOS interview at USCIS Houston office

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Has anyone attempted to change an interview for AOS/Green Card lately and what happened? Our interview is scheduled for the 28th of this month in Houston but I need to be offshore, on  a rig in West Africa, on the 20th and if I don't, I will lose the job. Has anyone have any experience on something related?

Your question is about AOS and your profile says IR1/CR1 which is a consular visa process.  How did the beneficiary enter the USA? When? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hi there, we probably filed in the wrong category on this website...wife and I got married in the US, she came in on a tourist visa...and then just settled.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Victor & Helen said:

Hi there, we probably filed in the wrong category on this website...wife and I got married in the US, she came in on a tourist visa...and then just settled.

No, not sure...but if I don't go to work, then probably there won't be another job for months, offshore work is very slow these days and I'm a consultant

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Victor & Helen said:

No, not sure...but if I don't go to work, then probably there won't be another job for months, offshore work is very slow these days and I'm a consultant

This is one of the only times i’d suggest sending a lawyer in with her on your behalf

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

This is one of the only times i’d suggest sending a lawyer in with her on your behalf

Yes, if that's allowed.  Not sure it is.  Are you?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
12 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, if that's allowed.  Not sure it is.  Are you?

Saw a lot of them there with couples and families.

The call’s free.  

Have a buddy whose wife (AOS from K1) had to get a 3rd 551 stamp to keep her job late last year.  They’re backed up.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Saw a lot of them there with couples and families.

The call’s free.  

Have a buddy whose wife (AOS from K1) had to get a 3rd 551 stamp to keep her job late last year.  They’re backed up.

Attorneys are definitely allowed, by you suggested an attorney WITHOUT the USC spouse present too.  Is THAT allowed?  I don't know. I sure it is "allowed" in that the attorney is allowed to be there, but not sure that will fly as an actual interview.  It probably WOULD avoid a denial though and give them a chance at a later interview.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Attorneys are definitely allowed, by you suggested an attorney WITHOUT the USC spouse present too.  Is THAT allowed?  I don't know. I sure it is "allowed" in that the attorney is allowed to be there, but not sure that will fly as an actual interview.  It probably WOULD avoid a denial though and give them a chance at a later interview.

I’m just putting ourselves in their shoes.  

What I don’t know about and can’t answer about are rescheduling options.  I do know that Houston seems to be swamped.

Sending her in alone would be irresponsible.

Ditto losing his job

The USC spouse is supposed to attend, that’s for sure.  It was a suggestion (which may not be feasible) to both make the interview appointment and compensate for the missing petitioner.  I do not know if it would work out but in OP’s place I would check.

Timeline
Just now, Nitas_man said:

I’m just putting ourselves in their shoes.  

What I don’t know about and can’t answer about are rescheduling options.  I do know that Houston seems to be swamped.

Sending her in alone would be irresponsible.

Ditto losing his job

The USC spouse is supposed to attend, that’s for sure.  It was a suggestion (which may not be feasible) to both make the interview appointment and compensate for the missing petitioner.  I do not know if it would work out but in OP’s place I would check.

I agree.  They would most likely still need to reschedule, AFTER her attendance with the attorney, but the attorney can advise on that too.  I've seen too many cases of people trying to reschedule and failing, then fighting a denial, because they didn't show up for the scheduled interview.  At the very least, attending with the attorney will avoid that, and cost a lot less than losing a job.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
16 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I agree.  They would most likely still need to reschedule, AFTER her attendance with the attorney, but the attorney can advise on that too.  I've seen too many cases of people trying to reschedule and failing, then fighting a denial, because they didn't show up for the scheduled interview.  At the very least, attending with the attorney will avoid that, and cost a lot less than losing a job.

Thanks to all, a big decision for us because my job is unusual and unfortunately it's just bad timing. Been a year out of work and all of a sudden this comes up?...We do have an attorney but she prefers I don't go to work but I do have to keep food on the table...

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Victor & Helen said:

Thanks to all, a big decision for us because my job is unusual and unfortunately it's just bad timing. Been a year out of work and all of a sudden this comes up?...We do have an attorney but she prefers I don't go to work but I do have to keep food on the table...

You also have to qualify as sponsor, unless you have a joint sponsor.  How long is the work assignment.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Victor & Helen said:

a month overseas...sponsorship is not an issue, just need cash flow

Timeline
Just now, Victor & Helen said:

a month overseas...sponsorship is not an issue, just need cash flow

Your attorney works for you.  YOU decide your future.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.