vochoa8a

I never submitted a change of address and am worried!

4 posts in this topic

I will be brief. 

My husband and I are on the verge of filing our I-751 ROC packet. While assembling the packet I came upon a realization.

I want to prove that my husband and I live together but I never filed a change of address with USCIS.

My husband and I moved into the guest house of a very nice elderly lady. The small apartment is located in an extremely nice community and it's an all around American town. However, she said she would prefer for us to NOT receive mail at that address. We can only afford the rent in this area because she charges way below the average rent rate but doesnt report it to the city. She said that the city would charge her a fine if they found out she rents her guest house and she needs the help so we agreed to not receive mail at that address. We have been living there since March/April 2018

Fast forward to the present. It's now time to submit the I-751. The current address on file at USCIS is my moms home address which is where we lived for over a year before moving into the new apartment/guesthouse. We go to my moms house all the time and actually prefer to receive our mail there.

With that said, I dont want to lie and say we have continued to live at my moms house even though we moved over a year ago. My priority is to submit evidence of a bonafide marriage and that we have continued to live together all this time. I have the rental agreement and the rental receipts (we pay cash each month. Our landlord is older and very old school although shes very sweet and nice).

I am loosing sleep over this. Will USCIS deny our I-751 case if I file a change of address over a year later? Will we get fined or thrown in jail as is stated is a possible consequence for failing to submit a change of address.

I would appreciate any guidance wholeheartedly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

File the Address Change form for you and your husband (assuming he is the sponsor) immediately.  I believe it’s the AR11 and an i865.

I believe there is an option to have a mailing address and a physical presence address.  

Regardless of what your landlord would prefer, you are obligated to notify the government where you actually live even if you don’t receive your mail there.

1. Correct - do not lie. What if they decided to do a home visit? Ouch.
  2. You can submit the I-751 with the actual address fine, but with a different mailing address. No issue there.
  3. Any I-864 sponsor (including your spouse) should have filed an I-865 when they moved. This can still be filed if late....they don't enforce the requirement so I wouldn't be too worried, but it's a good way to ensure they have updated records to contact the sponsor.
    1. You should have filed an AR-11 as well. But if you file the I-751 with the current address, I wouldn't worry about it now. Or send it...it won't hurt.
  4. Regarding the rental situation....sorry, but at least the first part of "don't wrestle with pigs" saying applies. If you are involved with shady transactions (and helping somebody avoid paying taxes is doing that, as well as likely avoiding local rental codes (hence why there would be fines)), then you both end up looking shady as a result.
  5. As for other evidence of living together, do you have drivers licenses with that address? A lease? Anything at that address?
Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, Cryssiekins said:

File the Address Change form for you and your husband (assuming he is the sponsor) immediately.  I believe it’s the AR11 and an i865.

I believe there is an option to have a mailing address and a physical presence address.  

Regardless of what your landlord would prefer, you are obligated to notify the government where you actually live even if you don’t receive your mail there.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate your feedback!

Edited by vochoa8a

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.