linh.ng2310

Travel/Moving Abroad while N600 is pending

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I submitted n600 application for my 3 year old in the beginning of April. We went in for biometric in early May and since then haven't heard anything from USCIS regarding when the certificate would be issue or when we will need to show up for an interview. We are planning to travel back home for a few months and moving to another country in the upcoming months. Is it ok for us to travel/move abroad while n600 is still pending? My daughter already has her US passport.

I called USCIS to inquire about the case but the agent said if it's not out of normal processing time (here in boston is 13 months), then there's really nothing they can tell me differently than what it says on my account online (which is in process and we have no idea when it's gonna go through). 

Another question is if we move abroad, can I change our current address to someone's address that can help us receive letters and notice from USCIS? Of course we will fly back if they schedule an appointment. And in case they are mailing the certificate to the address provided, would I have to be there to receive the mail or not?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
15 hours ago, linh.ng2310 said:

Hi everyone,

I submitted n600 application for my 3 year old in the beginning of April. We went in for biometric in early May and since then haven't heard anything from USCIS regarding when the certificate would be issue or when we will need to show up for an interview. We are planning to travel back home for a few months and moving to another country in the upcoming months. Is it ok for us to travel/move abroad while n600 is still pending? My daughter already has her US passport.

I called USCIS to inquire about the case but the agent said if it's not out of normal processing time (here in boston is 13 months), then there's really nothing they can tell me differently than what it says on my account online (which is in process and we have no idea when it's gonna go through). 

Another question is if we move abroad, can I change our current address to someone's address that can help us receive letters and notice from USCIS? Of course we will fly back if they schedule an appointment. And in case they are mailing the certificate to the address provided, would I have to be there to receive the mail or not?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Why you think, there will be interview for N600?  Yes, you can change the address to receive the certificate.  N600 will not prevent you to travel or move abroad, since kid is US citizen now.  Passport is good enough to prove US citizen, but it does not provide the information when you became citizen, so N600 might be useful, if needed for some reasons in the future.

Timeline
1 hour ago, dilip said:

Why you think, there will be interview for N600?  Yes, you can change the address to receive the certificate.  N600 will not prevent you to travel or move abroad, since kid is US citizen now.  Passport is good enough to prove US citizen, but it does not provide the information when you became citizen, so N600 might be useful, if needed for some reasons in the future.

I think cases are varied from different field offices so I'm not sure if for my daughter case, they will mail out the certificate or we will be required to go to an interview (not like our n400 but they will be checking the documents I submitted and verify information).

And yes the reason why i applied for N600 is I wanna complete her status as US Citizen in USCIS system so there will be no problems in the future.

I was mainly concerned if moving abroad would affect the process/result and if a friend can receive the certificate for us while we are away. 

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Moving out of the country won't affect the status of the N-600 since you already fulfilled the legal requirements of them. The N-600 is just the confirmation that the requirements have been met. For pickup of the certificate you will probably need to be in the US (your child in that age usually doesn't need to be present). You can change your address to a friend or relative in that case, too. The Certificate of Citizenship is usually printed on the spot and you can take it along. 

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline
6 hours ago, Mark88 said:

Moving out of the country won't affect the status of the N-600 since you already fulfilled the legal requirements of them. The N-600 is just the confirmation that the requirements have been met. For pickup of the certificate you will probably need to be in the US (your child in that age usually doesn't need to be present). You can change your address to a friend or relative in that case, too. The Certificate of Citizenship is usually printed on the spot and you can take it along. 

Thank you Mark

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.