SanjaAlex

SSN experience Miami office (K1)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Just wanted to share my recent experience in obtaining ssn as a K1 immigrant in my local office. 

Arrived to US on July 5th. Went to SSN office July 8th. Got there an hour and a half before opening and was 30th in line... Looks pretty bad lol Managed to have breakfast and coffee while waiting. People with appointments were called out to the front, rest of us got assigned with numbers. Ours was 22. My local office (11100 SW 211 St, Miami, FL 33189, USA) has over 30 counters so I went in with the first batch. Thru security and was directed to counter 22. Waited inside for about 30 minutes, as we were let in half an hour before opening. The lady on our counter was not familiar with K1 visa at all. She looked at my printed I-94 and told me I need to apply for a status as a refugee or for asylum lol I told her I'll adjust my status and apply for green card after my wedding as I'm here on fiance visa. She stepped out for a bit, came back, told us to go to lobby B, fill out application and wait to be called to the counter, she put us in the system and told us we're be called by name. She congratulated us on our engagement and we were on our way. Lobby B wait was... Over 2 hrs long. I was going crazy. Only think thtt comes to my mind why we waited for so long was because they're not very experienced with K1 visas. Finally we were called, gentleman on the counter was prepared, he checked the application, printed out a form, gave it to me to check and sign and told me my ssc will be in my mailbox in 1-3 weeks. If it doesn't arrive in 30 days to come back to the office with the paper he gave me. 12 days later my ssc arrived. On it says 'valid for work only with DHS authorization'. 

It was easier then I expected, wait is tough but I'm getting used to that here 😁 hope everyone's ssn adventure is as smooth as mine 😉

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

sometimes it is worth an hour drive to find a smaller office in a small city 

very surprised a clerk in Miami didn't know about K1 visas with all the immigrants they have

but as far as offices go ,   SS is federal ,  a person can go to any office for this

and driving licenses are state,   try a smaller "out of Miami " one  when you get ready for the state ID or driving license

a lot less waiting time

you will get to know all these shortcuts as you spend more time here

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

sometimes it is worth an hour drive to find a smaller office in a small city 

very surprised a clerk in Miami didn't know about K1 visas with all the immigrants they have

but as far as offices go ,   SS is federal ,  a person can go to any office for this

and driving licenses are state,   try a smaller "out of Miami " one  when you get ready for the state ID or driving license

a lot less waiting time

you will get to know all these shortcuts as you spend more time here

I was surprised as well, could be that one lady didn't knew about K1, could be that office doesn't have many K1 immigrants, could be anything tbh I'm just glad I've got it done without problems. 

Thank you for the tip, much appreciated 👍😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.