Pengunista

Is it ok to travel using AP while waiting interview result

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So basically I just want to know if it’s okay to travel using my AP while I’m waiting for my interview result.

I had my interview June 6 and the interviewer said that he will review our case and either approve it or ask for more proof.  I know I can’t inquire until 3 months from the time of my interview.  I’m planning to go home middle of August and be back first week of September. 

5 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

So basically I just want to know if it’s okay to travel using my AP while I’m waiting for my interview result.

I had my interview June 6 and the interviewer said that he will review our case and either approve it or ask for more proof.  I know I can’t inquire until 3 months from the time of my interview.  I’m planning to go home middle of August and be back first week of September. 

Good question.  I would think it would really complicate things if a denial was given while out of the country.  How would you get back in?

The answer from two immigration officers when we asked the very same question was, literally: there is no issue IF you get approved. Though the AP would be automatically cancelled if approved, CBP officers can check your status and grant you entry. 

From the same immigration officers: now, if you get denied, you'll be in trouble. :P

Getting a request for more evidence would have no impact whatsoever and would actually be the "safest" option. 

Despite being assured we could enter the country just by being approved, with no GC in hand and just with a cancelled AP, we decided not to risk a thing and wait. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Good question.  I would think it would really complicate things if a denial was given while out of the country.  How would you get back in?

Yeah the whole “what if I got denied” thing did cross my mind. Thank you

1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

The answer from two immigration officers when we asked the very same question was, literally: there is no issue IF you get approved. Though the AP would be automatically cancelled if approved, CBP officers can check your status and grant you entry. 

From the same immigration officers: now, if you get denied, you'll be in trouble. :P

Getting a request for more evidence would have no impact whatsoever and would actually be the "safest" option. 

Despite being assured we could enter the country just by being approved, with no GC in hand and just with a cancelled AP, we decided not to risk a thing and wait. 

It’s so tricky isn’t it!?! I guess I’ll just wait, I just wish our IO would make up his mind already, my husband and I already prepared more proof just Incase they ask for more. 

I have ave a question, after your interview did your IO asked you or whoever is the beneficiary to sign something?

3 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

Yeah the whole “what if I got denied” thing did cross my mind. Thank you

It’s so tricky isn’t it!?! I guess I’ll just wait, I just wish our IO would make up his mind already, my husband and I already prepared more proof just Incase they ask for more. 

I have ave a question, after your interview did your IO asked you or whoever is the beneficiary to sign something?

Yes. We both signed a paper that described briefly the removal of conditions and actually said we were approved. It had an empty field that was later stamped with the date of our approval. 

Did you sign something?

Timeline
Just now, Allaboutwaiting said:

Yes. We both signed a paper that described briefly the removal of conditions and actually said we were approved. It had an empty field that was later stamped with the date of our approval. 

Did you sign something?

Yes I did, I’m the beneficiary. She asked me to sign something. And it’s just me not my husband and it’s not about us being approved coz he never say we are approve on the spot.

7 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

Yes I did, I’m the beneficiary. She asked me to sign something. And it’s just me not my husband and it’s not about us being approved coz he never say we are approve on the spot.

Didn't you read what it said? 

The paper we signed had two parts: one for the officer, one for us. We received our part a few days after they approved our case. 

The delay for us was due to the K1 being missing at the time of the interview. The officer never said we were approved but she made us sign the paper anyway. 

Did you adjust from a K1?

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Didn't you read what it said? 

The paper we signed had two parts: one for the officer, one for us. We received our part a few days after they approved our case. 

The delay for us was due to the K1 being missing at the time of the interview. The officer never said we were approved but she made us sign the paper anyway. 

Did you adjust from a K1?

To be honest, when he said he will still need to review our case, my high hopes of getting approved on the spot went away. That I wasn’t even paying attention when I signed, but I do remember him signing first before he asked me to sign . 

I adjusted from F1 that overstayed. 

6 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

To be honest, when he said he will still need to review our case, my high hopes of getting approved on the spot went away. That I wasn’t even paying attention when I signed, but I do remember him signing first before he asked me to sign . 

I adjusted from F1 that overstayed. 

That could be the reason why you were the only one signing. Did he explain removal of conditions?

If the interviewing officer is not senior, they still need to get the files reviewed by a supervisor, who will be the one actually approving. 

That's why not everyone gets immediate approvals.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

That could be the reason why you were the only one signing. Did he explain removal of conditions?

If the interviewing officer is not senior, they still need get the files reviewed by a supervisor, who will be the one actually approving. 

That's why not everyone gets immediate approvals.

No, I wonder if they only explain ROC if you got approved on the spot.  We did touch based about ROC because he was asking paperwork that normally a couple would send during ROC.  

1 minute ago, Pengunista said:

No, I wonder if they only explain ROC if you got approved on the spot.  We did touch based about ROC because he was asking paperwork that normally a couple would send during ROC.  

I bet you'll be approved. But I still think it is safer to avoid traveling until you get an update. 

You can always call customer service and ask for a Tier 2, to know if there's some news on your case.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

I bet you'll be approved. But I still think it is safer to avoid traveling until you get an update. 

You can always call customer service and ask for a Tier 2, to know if there's some news on your case.

I think I’ll call tomorrow just to inquire and after talking to my husband about it, we decided that it’s best for me to just wait. And I hope you are right about getting approve. 😁

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
On 7/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, Pengunista said:

I wasn’t even paying attention when I signed, but I do remember him signing first before he asked me to sign

Something very similar happened to me. I signed and don't know what it was. I think it's for the yes/no questions that they ask. They have you sign that you were telling the truth.

AOS thru marriage from F-1 (student) visa in Tampa, FL - 83 DAYS (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

2019-03-18 - AOS package sent; concurrent filing (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) (FedEx; choose regular rate! Still arrives super fast and is WAY cheaper!)

2019-03-21 - AOS package received (Day 1)

2019-03-30 - All NOA1s arrived (dated March 25) (Day 10)

2019-04-05 - Biometrics notice arrived (dated March 29) (Day 16)

2019-04-16 - Biometrics appointment (Day 27)

2019-04-17 - Online status updated to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" (Day 28)

2019-04-23 - Online status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled" (Day 34)

2019-05-30 - AOS Interview (Day 71) → https://tinyurl.com/yxug6acr

2019-06-04 - Online status updated to "Case Was Approved"; EAD and AP status updated to "Case Closed" (Day 76)

2019-06-11 - GC in hand (Day 83) ~ done for now!

ROC during COVID-19 pandemic, Nebraska Service Center <_< - 514 DAYS

Spoiler

2021-03-10 - ROC package sent

2021-03-15 - ROC package received (Day 1)

2021-04-09 - NOA1 arrived (dated April 06) (Day 26)

2021-04-30 - Online status updated to "Fingerprints Were Taken" (used AOS fingerprints); no biometrics fee refund (Day 47)

2021-11-01 - 24-month extension letter received (Day 232)

2022-08-08 - Combo interview (I-751 and N-400) (Day 512) → https://tinyurl.com/2aejcx4e

2022-08-10 - Approval notice in the mail; no 10-year green card for me since N-400 also approved (Day 514)

N-400 during COVID-19 pandemic in Philly, PA - 169 DAYS (No RFE)

Spoiler

2022-03-11 - Online submission

2022-03-11 - NOA1 and biometrics reuse notice uploaded to myUSCIS account (Day 1)

2022-06-30 - Interview scheduled (Day 112)

2022-08-08 - Combo interview (I-751 and N-400) (Day 151) → https://tinyurl.com/2aejcx4e

2022-08-10 - Oath ceremony scheduled (Day 153)

2022-08-26 - Oath ceremony (Day 169) ~ DONE FOREVER!

BE  K I N D → https://tinyurl.com/tev3sgl  

Timeline
48 minutes ago, HSsweethearts4E said:

Something very similar happened to me. I signed and don't know what it was. I think it's for the yes/no questions that they ask. They have you sign that you were telling the truth.

Did you sign it after the interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

Did you sign it after the interview?

No during but it was basically over by that point

AOS thru marriage from F-1 (student) visa in Tampa, FL - 83 DAYS (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

2019-03-18 - AOS package sent; concurrent filing (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) (FedEx; choose regular rate! Still arrives super fast and is WAY cheaper!)

2019-03-21 - AOS package received (Day 1)

2019-03-30 - All NOA1s arrived (dated March 25) (Day 10)

2019-04-05 - Biometrics notice arrived (dated March 29) (Day 16)

2019-04-16 - Biometrics appointment (Day 27)

2019-04-17 - Online status updated to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" (Day 28)

2019-04-23 - Online status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled" (Day 34)

2019-05-30 - AOS Interview (Day 71) → https://tinyurl.com/yxug6acr

2019-06-04 - Online status updated to "Case Was Approved"; EAD and AP status updated to "Case Closed" (Day 76)

2019-06-11 - GC in hand (Day 83) ~ done for now!

ROC during COVID-19 pandemic, Nebraska Service Center <_< - 514 DAYS

Spoiler

2021-03-10 - ROC package sent

2021-03-15 - ROC package received (Day 1)

2021-04-09 - NOA1 arrived (dated April 06) (Day 26)

2021-04-30 - Online status updated to "Fingerprints Were Taken" (used AOS fingerprints); no biometrics fee refund (Day 47)

2021-11-01 - 24-month extension letter received (Day 232)

2022-08-08 - Combo interview (I-751 and N-400) (Day 512) → https://tinyurl.com/2aejcx4e

2022-08-10 - Approval notice in the mail; no 10-year green card for me since N-400 also approved (Day 514)

N-400 during COVID-19 pandemic in Philly, PA - 169 DAYS (No RFE)

Spoiler

2022-03-11 - Online submission

2022-03-11 - NOA1 and biometrics reuse notice uploaded to myUSCIS account (Day 1)

2022-06-30 - Interview scheduled (Day 112)

2022-08-08 - Combo interview (I-751 and N-400) (Day 151) → https://tinyurl.com/2aejcx4e

2022-08-10 - Oath ceremony scheduled (Day 153)

2022-08-26 - Oath ceremony (Day 169) ~ DONE FOREVER!

BE  K I N D → https://tinyurl.com/tev3sgl  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.