Amber and Shawn

DS-160 Questions

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Filing up the DS-160 I've got a few questions I know its alot but I wanna be sure I don't mess up! Thanks in advance!

1. Other names used: my name "Amber" is used online as a name i go by with all social media ect It's not on any documents or birth certificate. I inputed this info on the i-129f should I do the same on the DS-160 under Other Names Used? Also when i tried filing it up as Other GIVEN NAME used it says its incomplete because i didnt put anything in Other Surnames used. hm.. should it just leave it blank? would it matter

2. Identification Number should be, for malaysian's our IC number right?

3. Application Receipt/Petition Number under purpose of Trip to US fiance: is the case number from NVC?

4. Estimate date of arrival is 2 months from now a safe estimate?

5.Person/Entity Paying for your trip: do they mean just the flight tickets or? 

6. Person traveling with you would be my fiance but in the relationship with Person there's no "Fiance" option what should I put here

7. Social Media : Facebook username or handle? Like just the name i go by or do i provide a link? or can i just put in my Instagram @  its less personal tho would it be ok to not list Facebook?

8.Passport book number for Malaysians? Does not apply or do i need to call

9. US Point of contact info : Contact person: Name of petitioner .. Organization Name: check box Do Not Know .. Relationship: U.S petitioner correct?

10. Family inormation: Relatives my parents are divorced and im not in contact with either of them, would it be okay to use old address even if theyre not living there anymore or would that be messy later on?

11: Present work : Not employed.. Explain? uh what should i write here

Anything where you have extenuating circumstances (for example parents), just input information you feel is accurate and then include explanations under the “Additional Information” section.

For social media, you MUST provide information for EVERY social media site they have listed in the drop down menu. Failure to do this will likely result in a denial of your application if it is discovered, since it will be treated as you having lied on the application by omitting information. So absolutely DO NOT leave your FB information blank. Figure out what your FB username is and put that information within.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
22 hours ago, Amber and Shawn said:

Filing up the DS-160 I've got a few questions I know its alot but I wanna be sure I don't mess up! Thanks in advance!

1. Other names used: my name "Amber" is used online as a name i go by with all social media ect It's not on any documents or birth certificate. I inputed this info on the i-129f should I do the same on the DS-160 under Other Names Used? Also when i tried filing it up as Other GIVEN NAME used it says its incomplete because i didnt put anything in Other Surnames used. hm.. should it just leave it blank? would it matter

Hmmm, I actually didn't think this question could mean the applicant should mention social media nicknames. I thought this was aimed at maiden names, married names (from possible previous marriages) or similar, a name that could be found on official papers like birth certificate, marriage certificate, employment contract etc. The name you use on your social media doesn't qualify as a given name. 

3. Application Receipt/Petition Number under purpose of Trip to US fiance: is the case number from NVC?

Receipt number is mentioned on the NOA that you received from USCIS.

4. Estimate date of arrival is 2 months from now a safe estimate?

5.Person/Entity Paying for your trip: do they mean just the flight tickets or? 

Yes. Well, considering your answer to Q11 probably also the person who is paying for everything - I guess this is your fiance?

6. Person traveling with you would be my fiance but in the relationship with Person there's no "Fiance" option what should I put here

They are asking whether you are a part of a group of people coming to the USA. 

7. Social Media : Facebook username or handle? Like just the name i go by or do i provide a link? or can i just put in my Instagram @  its less personal tho would it be ok to not list Facebook?

List all your social media accounts. I submitted links, it seemed the safest way to do it.

9. US Point of contact info : Contact person: Name of petitioner .. Organization Name: check box Do Not Know .. Relationship: U.S petitioner correct?

Yes.

10. Family inormation: Relatives my parents are divorced and im not in contact with either of them, would it be okay to use old address even if theyre not living there anymore or would that be messy later on?

How about the address you have lived at so far?

11: Present work : Not employed.. Explain? uh what should i write here

Just tell them what your situation is - do or did you study, had any job previously, I don't know your personal situation.

Good luck!

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

38 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

Hmmm, I actually didn't think this question could mean the applicant should mention social media nicknames. I thought this was aimed at maiden names, married names (from possible previous marriages) or similar, a name that could be found on official papers like birth certificate, marriage certificate, employment contract etc. The name you use on your social media doesn't qualify as a given name. 

The DS-160 directly asks about social media account usernames.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

Receipt number is mentioned on the NOA that you received from USCIS.

So i put in the Receipt Number from NOA1? or the Case Number from NVC?

42 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

They are asking whether you are a part of a group of people coming to the USA. 

I guess i'll leave this as Traveling Alone even if my fiance will be here to travel with me?

43 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

I live with my aunt, they're asking on my mother and father's address? Do i input the old address, my aunt's address or try to get in contact with them? Advice?

Thank you.

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

The DS-160 directly asks about social media account usernames.

It does, indeed. But not in that section of the questionnaire. "Other names used include your maiden name, religious name, professional name, or any other names which you are known by or have been known by in the past."

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Timeline
48 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:
23 hours ago, Amber and Shawn said:

This here is still very much up in the air, i just dont want to cause confusion when they check my social media and see the messages between me and my fiance because he also calls me by the name Amber, thus why i left it in the i-129f Other names used section because it mentioned "nicknames".. 

4 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

It does, indeed. But not in that section of the questionnaire. "Other names used include your maiden name, religious name, professional name, or any other names which you are known by or have been known by in the past."

See the OP #7, and the first reply.

Timeline

Bump. 

7 hours ago, jeaniecz said:

3. Application Receipt/Petition Number under purpose of Trip to US fiance: is the case number from NVC?

Receipt number is mentioned on the NOA that you received from USCIS.

So i put in the Receipt Number from NOA1? or the Case Number from NVC?

They are asking whether you are a part of a group of people coming to the USA. 

I guess i'll leave this as Traveling Alone even if my fiance will be here to travel with me?

I live with my aunt, they're asking on my mother and father's address? Do i input the old address, my aunt's address or try to get in contact with them? Advice?

Thank you.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

See the OP #7, and the first reply.

Yes, that one does ask for social media account and names. I wasn't disputing that.

I was referring to OP Q1 which refers to Personal Information on DS-160. There is no asking for social media names in that part of the form.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Amber and Shawn said:

Bump. 

3. Application Receipt/Petition Number under purpose of Trip to US fiance: is the case number from NVC?

Receipt number is mentioned on the NOA that you received from USCIS.

So i put in the Receipt Number from NOA1? or the Case Number from NVC?

•  

The form says:

Your application receipt/petition number was given to you by the Department of Homeland Security’s United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you filed your petition application at a USCIS Service Center. The application receipt/petition number is 13 characters long and the first three characters are letters.

So I filled in my WAC number.

They are asking whether you are a part of a group of people coming to the USA. 

You can choose to fill in your fiance's name and select "other" as relationship.

Thank you.

If they ask for your parents' address(es), then fill those in. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.