Boketto

Biometrics question

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask whether if anyone knows under what circumstances might USCIS reuse applicant biometrics and waive the appointment? Are the chances more likely if:

The applicant did AOS in the states and have already gone through a biometrics appointment 

The applicant has travelled out of the US after gaining conditional residence and has had their fingerprints captured at the border

Can anyone who has gotten their fingerprint appointment waived shed some insight? 

I am asking because I am worried that I may be traveling when my appointment letter is received. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

USCIS doesn’t care about fingerprints taken at POE.  They usually ask for biometrics for each petition. I believe there is biometrics waiver for only some medical conditions.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

My husband had to do biometrics for every application.  They do not seem to reuse them.  They are valid for 15 months.

Fingerprint Waivers

Applicants with Certain Medical Conditions

An applicant may qualify for a waiver of the fingerprint requirement if the applicant is unable to provide fingerprints because of a medical condition, to include birth defects, physical deformities, skin conditions, and psychiatric conditions. Only certain USCIS officers are authorized to grant a fingerprint waiver.

An officer responsible for overseeing applicant fingerprinting may grant the waiver in the following situations:

• The officer has met with the applicant in person;

• The officer or authorized technician has attempted to fingerprint the applicant; and

• The officer determines that the applicant is unable to be fingerprinted at all or is unable to provide a single legible fingerprint.

An applicant who is granted a fingerprint waiver must bring local police clearance letters covering the relevant period of good moral character to his or her naturalization interview. All clearance letters become part of the record. In cases where the applicant is granted a fingerprint waiver or has two unclassifiable fingerprint results, the officer must take a sworn statement from the applicant covering the period of good moral character.

An officer should not grant a waiver if the waiver is solely based on:

• The applicant has fewer than 10 fingers;

• The officer considers that the applicant’s fingerprints are unclassifiable; or

• The applicant’s condition preventing the fingerprint capturing is temporary.

An officer’s decision to deny a fingerprint waiver is final and may not be appealed.

Edited by mtempelaar

I saw that quite a few I-751 applicants have received a notice that their previous biometrics from AOS will be reused for I-751 so I was hoping I would be lucky in that category...

2 minutes ago, Boketto said:

I saw that quite a few I-751 applicants have received a notice that their previous biometrics from AOS will be reused for I-751 so I was hoping I would be lucky in that category...

Re-using may just be timing.  That being said, my husband's I-751 and  N-400 naturalization application biometrics were within the 15 months and they still didn't waive it.

Edited by mtempelaar

Just now, mtempelaar said:

Re-using may just be timing.  That being said, my husband's I-751 and  N-400 naturalization applications were within the 15 months and they still didn't waive it.

Oh that sucks... hope informed delivery doesn’t tell me I have a notice in the mail while I’m on the beach abroad 🤣  thank you for your response! 

9 minutes ago, Boketto said:

Some did receive a notice that their previous biometrics will be reused and now few months later the same people are receiving letters that they need to do their biometrics. So more likely than not you will have to do them. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.