TastyCake

Looking to avoid a wardrobe malfunction

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ok, so it's almost 2 pm and I haven't asked a wack job question yet today.  So here it goes.

For those gents who accompanied their fiancees to the Kiev embassy, what is the dress code for visitors?  What have visitors worn in the past?  I won't show up in shorts and a Zeppelin t-shirt.  I was thinking along the lines of a tasteful polo shirt and chinos with some nice, clean shoes (i.e. 'business casual').  Would this work or should I pack a white collared shirt and tie with dress pants and dress shoes?  It'll be July so it could be hot and sticky.  I would like to wear something that doesn't reveal wet armpits.

Timeline
58 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

Ok, so it's almost 2 pm and I haven't asked a wack job question yet today.  So here it goes.

For those gents who accompanied their fiancees to the Kiev embassy, what is the dress code for visitors?  What have visitors worn in the past?  I won't show up in shorts and a Zeppelin t-shirt.  I was thinking along the lines of a tasteful polo shirt and chinos with some nice, clean shoes (i.e. 'business casual').  Would this work or should I pack a white collared shirt and tie with dress pants and dress shoes?  It'll be July so it could be hot and sticky.  I would like to wear something that doesn't reveal wet armpits.

Business casual will be fine.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Business casual would be acceptable at any consulate worldwide.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You will be required to remove your belt, and any chapstick/lip balm you might be caring in your pockets, so size your shorts / trousers accordingly. Interview is not in a room but through the window, so your lower part of the body will not be visible regardless. Chapstic will returned to upon existing the Embassy, make sure your brand stands out. It is not a good way to get herpes. 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Shiran said:

You will be required to remove your belt, and any chapstick/lip balm you might be caring in your pockets, so size your shorts / trousers accordingly. Interview is not in a room but through the window, so your lower part of the body will not be visible regardless. Chapstic will returned to upon existing the Embassy, make sure your brand stands out. It is not a good way to get herpes. 

I seldom use Chapstick... or any lip balm for that matter... so I'll be good there.  I'll advise Schnookums of this but I don't ever recall her using anything but normal lipstick but she knows she can't come in with a whole lot anyway.

But while we're on the topic of interview 'through a window', is it easy to hear them (and them us) through the window???  You would think they'd have the interview in what I would call a more positive, personal environment.  Paying the guy for gas at the Circle K at 2 in the morning comes to mind.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, TastyCake said:

But while we're on the topic of interview 'through a window', is it easy to hear them (and them us) through the window???  You would think they'd have the interview in what I would call a more positive, personal environment.  Paying the guy for gas at the Circle K at 2 in the morning comes to mind.

Generally yes. It is not very private either, people sitting behind you, waiting their turn will likely will be able to hear you as well. Windows have loudspeakers, but they are not very consistent in "pushing the button": to activate them possibly because they  do want to keep their questions  to be somewhat private, or possibly because too much effort.  Unless things changed, you will be interviewed at window 12 or 13. Bring some coins with you if you get desperate for coffee, there is coin operated vending machine. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Generally yes. It is not very private either, people sitting behind you, waiting their turn will likely will be able to hear you as well. Windows have loudspeakers, but they are not very consistent in "pushing the button": to activate them possibly because they  do want to keep their questions  to be somewhat private, or possibly because too much effort.  Unless things changed, you will be interviewed at window 12 or 13. Bring some coins with you if you get desperate for coffee, there is coin operated vending machine. 

Pushing a button is too much effort ???

Our tax dollars at work.  This would be comical if it wasn't so freaking pathetic.

Timeline

Interviews are conducted with the COs behind Plexiglass for safety reasons.

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes attacks on them are attempted.

Plan to slide any materials through the curved slot under the window (like at a bank).

Binders of papers won't fit, unless they're very thin and flexible.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

This is the binder I plan to bring to the embassy in Kiev.  I am probably going to be bringing way too many things.  I used an immigration attorney who had me 'front-load' so a fair amount of stuff went in with the petition.  I took the 'greatest hits' from the 'front-loaded' material and made copies to bring with me to the interview.

Greatest hits = Passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel and restaurant receipts, Viber chats dating back to when Donald Trump was a baby (I also have fresh chats through June).  My fear was all that stuff we front-loaded would not make it to the embassy (either on purpose or it just got lost or something).  This way I at least have some things to show them in case that material didn't make it all the way through.  Things that weren't front-loaded (I-134, some of my fiancee's original documents with corresponding English translations, etc.) will also be in this attached binder.

I have this binder for my sanity and for organization purposes.  I am Type A to a fault.  Would something this size even be allowed in the embassy?  If it would be allowed, can I just feed them documents through the curved window as each is requested?  For example:

CO:  I-134 please

ME:  Here it is

CO:  Updated letters of intent to marry please

...and so on.  There's no way this binder will get through the curved window without me kicking it through.  And even with that, probably not.

Binder 1 (Custom).jpg

Binder 2 (Custom).jpg

Timeline
8 hours ago, TastyCake said:

I have this binder for my sanity and for organization purposes.  I am Type A to a fault.  Would something this size even be allowed in the embassy?  If it would be allowed, can I just feed them documents through the curved window as each is requested?  For example:

CO:  I-134 please

CO:  Updated letters of intent to marry please

...and so on.  There's no way this binder will get through the curved window without me kicking it through.  And even with that, probably not.

The intake window for documents is different from interview window. You will be asked for thing in order by intake officer, basically the  way you described. Except that they don't care for fluff like updated letters. She will need to show DS-160 before you are even allowed into the Embassy. For you, your US Passport is enough. At intake they will ask her passport, her birth certificate, original only no translation, no copies (MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT BACK!), police record, I-134 + Tax transcripts, and then "evidence of relationship" That is it. We didn't had to deal with divorce things, otherwise it might be there somewhere too. After intake, you sit down and wait for your number and/or name be called for the actual interview. 

Timeline

What many folks has done is to carry a Pendaflex folder that has open slots.

With use of this, you can rapidly dive into any section to produce what's asked for.

This way, you avoid flipping pages and fumbling to pull things from tight plastic sleeves.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.