Jump to content
Béchameloo

American Fiance a Student

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Is there a problem if the American fiance is a masters student with no sufficient income because they're studying and not working? Would that affect the chances of getting the visa approved? We can still get an affidavit of support from someone else, a direct relative of the American fiance, but the petitioner themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Béchameloo said:

Is there a problem if the American fiance is a masters student with no sufficient income because they're studying and not working? Would that affect the chances of getting the visa approved? We can still get an affidavit of support from someone else, a direct relative of the American fiance, but the petitioner themselves.

It would be a problem without a co sponsor 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

It would be a problem without a co sponsor 

What do you mean? The petitioner doesn't meet the minimum income, but their direct relative does and will fill the affidavit of support for us. Whatcdo u mean by a co sponsor? A second person also filling the affidavit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Béchameloo said:

What do you mean? The petitioner doesn't meet the minimum income, but their direct relative does and will fill the affidavit of support for us. Whatcdo u mean by a co sponsor? A second person also filling the affidavit?

Petitioner is ALWAYS the primary sponsor and fills out the affidavit even if the don't qualify.   A co sponsor simply comes alongside the primary.   


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

Petitioner is ALWAYS the primary sponsor and fills out the affidavit even if the don't qualify.   A co sponsor simply comes alongside the primary.   

Ok cool. Since we have a co sponsor, would that be a small flag that we should worry about? Or as long we have a cosponsor we should be fine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Béchameloo said:

Ok cool. Since we have a co sponsor, would that be a small flag that we should worry about? Or as long we have a cosponsor we should be fine?

Depends.   Some consulates take a dim view on cosponsors.   You need to understand what your interviewing location accepts 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If money is that tight you might want to consider getting married first and filing a spousal visa. That way the immigrant spouse can work right away. If you don’t even have an income of $17k (that’s roughly the amount needed for the I-134 for a household of 2), how are you going to live for months with an extra mouth to feed and without being able to work? You also have to pay AOS fees after the marriage if you go through the K-1 process. Plus there is the cost of healthcare. 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JFH said:

If money is that tight you might want to consider getting married first and filing a spousal visa. That way the immigrant spouse can work right away. If you don’t even have an income of $17k (that’s roughly the amount needed for the I-134 for a household of 2), how are you going to live for months with an extra mouth to feed and without being able to work? You also have to pay AOS fees after the marriage if you go through the K-1 process. Plus there is the cost of healthcare. 

We have savings that can go us through, but no income that is taxable and shows in the IRS reports, and our parents are paying for our modest wedding, we have stuff figured out but the constant income part is the issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Béchameloo said:

We have savings that can go us through, but no income that is taxable and shows in the IRS reports, and our parents are paying for our modest wedding, we have stuff figured out but the constant income part is the issue

You can use savings on the I-134. No income that’s taxable? I’d like that kind of income. What kind of income would that be? It can’t be very much. 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...