Rose__

Is it worth it to buy + import a car from Canada?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys! I'll be moving down to the US next year and I will need a car once I'm there. I'm trying to figure out if I should:

1) buy my car here in Canada, drive down with it and all of my things in it and import it?

2) OR fly down/ship my belongings then buy my car in the US?

I'm trying to figure out which way is best, considering taxes at the border, the hassle that it may be to get the importation paperwork, the exchange rates, average price of cars in the US vs Canada (I still don't know where is cheaper), etc. Any advice? :) Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's probably easiest to just wait to buy a car here. I don't know where in Canada you're from, but I know that the price of cars where I'm living in Texas are cheaper than the cost of cars where I moved from in Ontario, anyway.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, madiartzer said:

It's probably easiest to just wait to buy a car here. I don't know where in Canada you're from, but I know that the price of cars where I'm living in Texas are cheaper than the cost of cars where I moved from in Ontario, anyway.

I live in Montreal and I'll be moving down to Missouri :) don't know if that changes anything?

Edited by Aurora194

Much cheaper to buy down here, plus you cant import a car with a lien.  So buy here.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What cars are cheaper? I have been looking at Acura's and it seems like they are actually more expensive. I have had an acura for a long time and was planning on getting another one once i move in the US but i think i will have to revisit that plan. 

I will be moving to NY state. Not sure if that makes a difference.

17 hours ago, MWhite said:

What cars are cheaper? I have been looking at Acura's and it seems like they are actually more expensive. I have had an acura for a long time and was planning on getting another one once i move in the US but i think i will have to revisit that plan. 

I will be moving to NY state. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Prices for vehicles can vary by state.  For instance in my state you can't buy a Focus RS for less then 30k.  But if I travel to the next one over, I can save 5k on purchase price. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.