Boris Farage

Second IR5

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline

Relatively recent US citizen here (2017), filed for an IR5 for my mother as soon as I could but did so without the aid of this fantastic site. Although I had no bumps on her 'journey' I wanted to get the benefit of the experts on here for my father's IR5 process. He hasn't been too keen on the idea of permanent residency, but I have convinced him that if Britain is indeed headed for a hard Brexit, it might do him well financially to move here should the proverbial waste hit the fan. (We are both pro-Brexit but it's important to hedge one's bets, so to speak.) I've been doing some reading here and I think it is in his interest to file sooner rather than later, then stall the I-130 until after the presidential election to see how things play out over here as well. 

Glad to be here and take advantage of the many excellent resources and knowledge available. I think my ex-wife may have used this site when I came over on a K1 nearly a decade ago, the name rung a bell when it was mentioned to me.  

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

Filed: Timeline
58 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

it might do him well financially to move here  

I certainly would if he and mom are able to squeeze in 10 years of full-time work before retirement (or even part of this requirement would help) in order to qualify for some Social Security payments and after 5 years of residence (at least partially paid) Medicare. To buy into Medicare parts A & B (presuming an immigrant is here 5 years and is over age 65) and has not worked in the US, TODAY is $572.50 per person; plus, since that only pays 80%, need a medigap policy--so another $300+ a month, so about $900 each per month!

Edited by databit

Timeline
20 minutes ago, databit said:

I certainly would if he and mom are able to squeeze in 10 years of full-time work before retirement (or even part of this requirement would help) in order to qualify for some Social Security payments and after 5 years of residence (at least partially paid) Medicare. To buy into Medicare parts A & B (presuming an immigrant is here 5 years and is over age 65) and has not worked in the US, TODAY is $572.50 per person; plus, since that only pays 80%, need a medigap policy--so another $300+ a month, so about $900 each per month!

Thanks for putting it in clear terms. Mum has never worked, our family has been lucky in that regard that she was able to stay at home and pursue other passions. My father has worked his entire life, and he's still young enough (58) to work many more years. The cost of buying into Medicare isn't an issue for us, though I am aware we are blessed in that regard. The biggest issue for my father (as it has been for myself and now my mother) will be taxation, though I have an excellent firm I work with here in Los Angeles that has handled matters for me since 2011. However, my father is concerned about political instability in the US should the election not go the way he prefers in 2020. I have told him on several occasions that this is not a banana republic, and should a Democrat win it is unlikely that the country will end up like a second Venezuela, but older people can get set in their convictions.

-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
8 hours ago, Boris Farage said:

this is not a banana republic

We hope that he will be receptive to moving here to the Colonies. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome back to the future. Hope that your family's visa journey turns out. There is always a lot of chest-beating and saber-rattling in DC, and then there is the rest of this great country...... 

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
11 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

We hope that he will be receptive to moving here to the Colonies. :) 

HA! Dad would appreciate that sentiment. He is partial to the bourbon over here, and I remind him oceans of it await him should he make the move.

9 hours ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Welcome back to the future. Hope that your family's visa journey turns out. There is always a lot of chest-beating and saber-rattling in DC, and then there is the rest of this great country...... 

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thank you. Out here on the Left Coast it can be a little lonely for people of my ilk (and my father's for that matter), and I watch what goes on in Washington with a shake of the head. Not that things are much better back in England, but at least there is no spectre of impeachment on baseless grounds looming over the farce unfolding over there. At the very least, I am pleased that I will be able to vote in the next general election and let my voice be heard.

-

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boris Farage said:

HA! Dad would appreciate that sentiment. He is partial to the bourbon over here, and I remind him oceans of it await him should he make the move.

Thank you. Out here on the Left Coast it can be a little lonely for people of my ilk (and my father's for that matter), and I watch what goes on in Washington with a shake of the head. Not that things are much better back in England, but at least there is no spectre of impeachment on baseless grounds looming over the farce unfolding over there. At the very least, I am pleased that I will be able to vote in the next general election and let my voice be heard.

God bless our republic.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca