Teacake

Questions about K1 Interview in Sydney

18 posts in this topic

Hi all!

My Interview is a little over a month away and I have a few things I need clarified, if someone would be kind enough to help!

1) Do I, the beneficiary, need to bring a letter of intent to the interview?

2) On the interview checklist, it says the I-134, its supporting evidence and the revalidation letter are all “copies only”. Does that mean that my fiancé can simply scan the signed documents and email them to me for me to print? Are no wet signatures required?

3) I’m not seeing it on the checklist, but months ago, I read that I need to bring a CV including a full list of “publications” (I wrote this in my to-do list, but can’t remember where I got this from—ustraveldocs?). If someone could tell me where this is mentioned and what these “publications” are, that would be amazing.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Teacake said:

Hi all!

My Interview is a little over a month away and I have a few things I need clarified, if someone would be kind enough to help!

1) Do I, the beneficiary, need to bring a letter of intent to the interview?

2) On the interview checklist, it says the I-134, its supporting evidence and the revalidation letter are all “copies only”. Does that mean that my fiancé can simply scan the signed documents and email them to me for me to print? Are no wet signatures required?

3) I’m not seeing it on the checklist, but months ago, I read that I need to bring a CV including a full list of “publications” (I wrote this in my to-do list, but can’t remember where I got this from—ustraveldocs?). If someone could tell me where this is mentioned and what these “publications” are, that would be amazing.

Thanks!

You do need to bring a new letter of intent to the interview. Where it asks for copies only, you really only need copies. The signatures don't  have to be wet, but they do have to be copies of actual signatures. CV wasn't even mentioned in my husband's (fiance, then) instructions on what to bring with him. Here are the cover sheet and list of required docs that were sent to him by the Sydney embassy.

K Required Documents.pdf K1 Document Cover Sheet.pdf

3) I assume this would mean publications in academic journals/texts etc if that is relevant to your career. Could you have been reading about E-3 visa which is a specialty occupation visa only for Australian nationals? 

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

Timeline

Hi Teacake,

1) Bring everything you can with you to the interview. They may or may not need it but its always better to have it and not need it rather than not have it and need it.

2) Copies are fine for everything. They do not require any originals as they have everything in your file. It all relates back to #1.

3) I have not heard anything about that and I did not take a CV with me when I went for my interview back in 2014.

Make sure that you have everything physically printed in one file or folder. The US Consulate at the MLC building is technically US Soil so you will go through security and will not be able to take any bags/phones etc beyond the initial checkpoint. Security will store your bag/case etc for you while you are there and you will be able to collect it when you come back downstairs but you will not be able to take it in with you.

Good Luck!

My AOS Journey

11/11/14 - POE

12/12/14 - Married

12/15/14 - AOS/EAD Submitted

12/22/14 - NOA 1

01/13/15 - Biometrics

03/20/15 - Notice Of Potential Interview Waiver Received - 6 Month Delay

09/21/15 - NPIW Expired

10/16/15 - Service Request 1 submitted - Local office past my case

10/17/15 - Service Request Response - Currently being adjudicated, No timeline. Please wait

10/19/15 - Contacted Local Congressman. Request Submitted

11/19/15 - Response from congressman. Currently being adjudicated. Please wait. No Timeline

11/27/15 - Letter from Local Field office requesting missing I-693.

12/21/15 - Infopass Appointment regarding notice - I-693 not required for K1 Visa. Officer stated he would request local officer to contact me

12/22/15 - 1 Year since NOA 1

12/29/15 - Had original K1 I-693 medical form transcribed by US panel doctor and submitted to USCIS.

01/06/16 - Service request 2 submitted

01/19/16 - Interview Appointment Received

02/09/16 - Interview - APPROVED

02/12/16 - 2 Year Green Card In Hand

12/26/17 - ROC Submitted

01/08/18 - ROC NOA1 Recieved

10/06/18 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

01/17/19 - Removal of Conditions - Approved

01/23/19 - Received 10 year Green Card.

My Citizenship Journey

12/06/18 - N400 Submitted

12/18/18 - N400 Biometrics Appointment Received

12/26/18 - Biometrics Complete - Expected completion Feb 2020 (13 Months)

04/28/19 - So far lots of USCIS "nothing has changed" bi weekly status update e-mails.

05/07/19 - Received notification that my N400 interview had been scheduled.

05/08/19 - N400 Interview letter was available to view online.

05/13/19 - Received physical copy of N400 interview letter in mail.

06/14/19 - N400 Interview Passed. Recommended for citizenship.

06/22/19 - N400 Approved

07/24/19 - Oath ceremony scheduled

1 minute ago, redvines said:

3) I assume this would mean publications in academic journals/texts etc if that is relevant to your career. Could you have been reading about E-3 visa which is a specialty occupation visa only for Australian nationals? 

I have no clue what happened there, which is pretty embarrassing lol. Will scrap the CV from my list of things to get onto. Thanks, redvines!

3 minutes ago, TheCaptain said:

Hi Teacake,

1) Bring everything you can with you to the interview. They may or may not need it but its always better to have it and not need it rather than not have it and need it.

2) Copies are fine for everything. They do not require any originals as they have everything in your file. It all relates back to #1.

3) I have not heard anything about that and I did not take a CV with me when I went for my interview back in 2014.

Make sure that you have everything physically printed in one file or folder. The US Consulate at the MLC building is technically US Soil so you will go through security and will not be able to take any bags/phones etc beyond the initial checkpoint. Security will store your bag/case etc for you while you are there and you will be able to collect it when you come back downstairs but you will not be able to take it in with you.

Good Luck!

Thanks very much, TheCaptain! This has been really helpful! I’ll be sure to have everything in order before my interview. 🤞🏻 Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

@Teacake Good luck with your interview! Neil said it was quick and easy!

Hi, Jodi and Neil! Thank you so much for your reply! I have the same checklist and info sheet you attached, so I’m guessing somewhere along the way I was just reading unnecessary information for some other visa. 🥴 (D’oh!) I follow your timeline and saw that you’d gotten married! Congratulations! Thanks again.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Teacake said:

Hi, Jodi and Neil! Thank you so much for your reply! I have the same checklist and info sheet you attached, so I’m guessing somewhere along the way I was just reading unnecessary information for some other visa. 🥴 (D’oh!) I follow your timeline and saw that you’d gotten married! Congratulations! Thanks again.

Thank you so much! We are married and can hardly believe it! I'll be waiting for your announcement, which I know won't be too far away.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 6/19/2019 at 8:38 PM, Teacake said:

I have no clue what happened there, which is pretty embarrassing lol. Will scrap the CV from my list of things to get onto. Thanks, redvines!

How did your interview go?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Everybody,

I have my K1 interview in Sydney scheduled for 27 August 2019....woohoo...what I am wondering is when they ask for originals of birth certificate, divorce certificate etc. is it for just me the "beneficiary" or are they also asking for my fiance's originals? It is not clear at all on any of the information or checklist if they want it from both. I am under the impression it is only for mine?

Thank you in advance.

Timeline

My fiance and I are still waiting for our Interview Date but we are confident we will get it soon! It's been about a week since we got our Packet 3 and filled out the DS-160 and paid the fee. We e-mail them with all the info they requested by we still haven't heard anything yet. Does it normally take quite so long?

On 7/22/2019 at 4:00 PM, Derek & Cece said:

My fiance and I are still waiting for our Interview Date but we are confident we will get it soon! It's been about a week since we got our Packet 3 and filled out the DS-160 and paid the fee. We e-mail them with all the info they requested by we still haven't heard anything yet. Does it normally take quite so long?

We just heard back after paying and filling the DS-160 and got put on a waitlist for our K1 through the Sydney consulate, wondering ourselves how long it takes from waitlist to an actual date. I guess they must be pretty busy.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Brent2019 said:

We just heard back after paying and filling the DS-160 and got put on a waitlist for our K1 through the Sydney consulate, wondering ourselves how long it takes from waitlist to an actual date. I guess they must be pretty busy.

We actually just heard the same thing a couple days ago. We are so sad because it means that we probably won't be interviewed until September since I've seen people being scheduled for August already. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my current theory. Hang in there though! We should all have our visas soon :)

A larger concern at the moment is what while we can get started on the medical and everything while we wait, the cost we were quoted here in Perth was "up to $1200.00 + GST for an adult. This fee depends on the number of blood tests required. Any vaccinations that are required are NOT included in this fee." Considering my fiance doesn't have her vaccination records I shudder to think what the total cost will be when all is said and done.

Edited by Derek & Cece

2 minutes ago, Derek & Cece said:

We actually just heard the same thing a couple days ago. We are so sad because it means that we probably won't be interviewed until September since I've seen people being scheduled for August already. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my current theory. Hang in there though! We should all have our visas soon :)

A larger concern at the moment is what while we can get started on the medical and everything while we wait, the cost we were quoted here in Perth was 'up to $1200' depending on how many blood tests they need to do. Considering my fiance doesn't have her vaccination records I shudder to think what the total cost will be when all is said and done.

Yeah you're probably right, sometime in September, early October at the latest I hope. Ouch that is a lot of money for the medical! Can she get her records from her doctor to see if she already has some of the vaccinations and stuff?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.