HF & HB

Medical Exam Review - Dr Cheema (Canada)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

I have recently completed my medical exam in Surrey, BC with Dr Cheema and I wanted to provide a review of my experience for all the applicants that may be curious as to how it went.

My experience at Dr. Cheema's office was very positive! The time it took being there was a little over a hour (15 min waiting after TDap shot). The ladies at the front desk were polite and helpful. Make sure to double check the info on the forms they give you with your personal info since my birthday and email had been incorrectly entered, but they kindly corrected it. After I was called inside, I was weighed, my height taken and then Dr. Cheema asked me some medical history questions. The questions were standard health questions, no surprises. Since I have always been in good health there was nothing of particular medical concern. I had all of my vaccines in order ( MMR 2 doses and TDap at birth and second dose later on) but I requested another TDap (paid $45) since I wanted a booster which is recommended once every 10 years. Just to clarify though, they told me this booster was not specifically needed for the K-1 requirements but I thought it might be helpful to have an up-to-date vaccine record for the AOS and for my peace of mind. The price was also good compared to travel clinics in my area. After the questions, he checked my blood pressure, lungs, eyes and vision test (bring contacts or glasses!), ears and he pressed on my abdomen, basically the kind of standard medical exam I have also had in the past. I was very glad that it was not more invasive and that I didn't have to change/undress, and also that he was very polite and put me at ease. I had read on here other reviews which pointed out that as long as the applicant doesn't have any major medical concerns the medical exam is fast and easy. Can't stress enough how thankful I am for other medical exam reviews on this website since it gave me a lot of peace of mind going into my appointment. 

After leaving Dr. Cheema's office I followed the instructions given by the ladies at reception to go to LifeLabs nearby for the bloodwork and to another building for the chest x-ray. The building for Lifelabs had sufficient parking and the process there was pretty fast, probably less than 20 min.

Afterwards I went to the Medical Imagery Clinic. Although it is like a 1 min drive away from the lab the location/parking I found to be awkward and kinda tricky. I spent a lot of time trying to find the right entrance and parking. The address seemed to direct me to its old location whereas the clinic is in the building next door (instructions written on a paper on the door of the old location). Parking is available at the back of the new building, but when I was there it was all taken. I had to find street parking but some of the streets appeared to only allow residents to park. Thankfully I found parking on 82nd street. In total the chest x-ray took about 45 min since the place was packed. Apart from the parking situation everything else went smoothly.

Thanks!

Side note - for anyone interested, there is a great thrift store in the area called Talize (highly recommend it) and also a small one called Penny Savers :) 

For God so loved the worldthat he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. ❤️  John 3:16 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi don_mar,

As far I can tell in BC Tdap immunization is only free for children/high school students but not for adults. I didn't get this info from my family doctor but rather a nurse at the local immunization clinic and from online. Definitely worth asking tho if someone is living elsewhere in Canada. :)

For God so loved the worldthat he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. ❤️  John 3:16 

12 hours ago, don_mar said:

Thanks for the detailed review! Can't you get the TDap for free at a regular clinic or your family doctor's?

Depends on how old you are and if you recieved one or two as a child.  Also you can do titre tests and see if you need the vaccine. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

On 6/19/2019 at 12:16 PM, don_mar said:

Thanks for the detailed review! Can't you get the TDap for free at a regular clinic or your family doctor's?

I got my Tdap done for free at my family doctor in Manitoba! 

K1 Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-129F: Feb 9, 2018

Petition received by USCIS: Feb 15, 2018

NOA1 Text Notification: Feb 20, 2018 

NOA2: Aug 21, 2018 😍

NVC Case # & Invoice ID: Sept 6, 2018

NVC "In Transit": Sept 18, 2018

Case "Ready": Sept 25, 2018

P3 Received: Oct 5

P3 Sent: Oct 16

P4 Received: Oct 18

Medical: Nov 13

Interview: Dec 6 - APPROVED! 

POE: Feb 12, 2019

Applied for SSN: Feb 15, 2019 (rec'd SSN: April 4th)

AOS Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-485, I-131, I-765: April 15, 2019

NOA1: April 23, 2019 (hard copies received April 29, 2019)

Biometrics: May 16, 2019

RFIE for I-148: June 20, 2019 (requesting birth certificate)

Sent Response to RFIE: June 25, 2019

Response to RFIE received: June 28, 2019

I-485 "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview" notice: Sept 4, 2019

I-765 (EAD) Card in Production: Oct 11, 2019

I-131 (AP) Approved: Oct 15, 2019

I-765 (EAD) Card mailed out to me: Oct 17, 2019

EAD/AP Combo Card received: Oct 19, 2019

Interview: Jan 28, 2020 - Approved 2 year conditional green card

ROC Sent I-751: November 1, 2021

Credit Card Charges Pending: November 9, 2021

Text Message: November 10, 2021 @ 3:46 am

NOA1 Dated: November 9, 2021 (hard copy received November 17, 2021)

Biometrics Waiver Dated: November 30, 2021 (hard copy received Dec 6, 2021)

Approval Notice Dated: April 10, 2024 (hard copy received April 16, 2024)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.