KristineGB

Proof of ongoing relationship [merged threads]

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I debated whether to post this now or after my interview because I don't have my visa approved yet but when I was searching for current feedback on mental health issues at the medical exam in Toronto, I didn't find any. There was one for Medisys but it was for last year. 

I went to Dr. Lynden on Clairhurst and Bathurst as a tip from another VJ-er. (Thank you Brian and Char!) I have a history of depression, with one hospitalization back in 2010 due to the depression and am currently taking meds for anxiety. I'm 200% okay now, completely stable and highly functioning and I think that's what helped my case. No cause for alarm. But, as most of us here, I was overthinking it. And as the case for why I have anxiety - I over think and over prepare and think of worst case scenario. 

According to packet 4:

•  Applicants who have been treated or hospitalized for psychiatric or mental illness or alcohol or drug abuse must present written certification which includes the diagnosis, duration of treatment rendered, and prognosis.

I saw this about two weeks before my medical so I panicked a little. I had my family doctor write me a letter stating that I was stable and "no harm to myself or others", had my psychotherapist write one too and she kindly indicated what we were doing to help me heal, and then asked my former psychiatrist in the Philippines to write me a letter. Poor woman was so swamped with work but she still did it for me.

I then got a record of my hospitalization in the Philippines because I read that you should bring this (the staff were so kind to expedite) and brought my medicines. I arrived at 7:30am for an 8:30am appointment. I know traffic can be horrid going into Toronto (I'm from Mississauga) so I wanted to allot extra time. I parked in the Green Parking across the street and paid for the full day max time ($10 but it's $1.50 for half an hour and later just gave my ticket to a guy who was just coming in because I was done by 930am) because I just didn't want to have to worry about it. If you're on a super tight budget there is a Dollarama underground parking right beside the clinic but I don't know if they charge, you can investigate as an option. There is a Loblaws nearby which may also have cheaper parking, but I'm not sure. I was outside the clinic suite at 7:30am but the door was locked and no one was there. Someone came at around 8:00am but I was to wait outside. They let me in at 8:15am. The receptionist asked for my passport, only 1 passport photo (which kinda sucked because I read somewhere credible but I forgot where that you needed 5 and I paid a fortune for 5), and copies of my vaccine. 

Tip on vaccine that I didn't figure out until later and this is for people who may not have copies of their own. I moved around alot as a child and my mom died when I was young so I have no idea where my records are. I got a titre test to see what I was immune to and then got what I wasn't immune to at the walk in clinic. I was going to go to a travel doctor but it was going to cost me a fortune so I tried - just on a hunch - that I could get it at a walk in clinic covered by OHIP and I did!! All they needed for my age bracket was MMR, TDAP, varicella (chicken pox) and flu shot (seasonal). I only had to get the MMR. At first I thought I was going to have to get everything on packet 4 list. On visadoctor.ca, they'll tell you what they look for per age bracket. 

Back to the medical exam. I filled out a form then was in the room at 8:34, had to fill out another form about my health. There was a question that said "Have you had any illness requiring being in hospital". I initially ticked "no" because I felt like they were looking for something like pneumonia or something, and not depression. But my conscience was bugging me so I circled "yes" as well, thinking I'd just explain later. There was also a question that said, "Do you have any psychological/psychiatric history including major depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia." I encircled "yes", underlined "major depression" and added "past" before "major depression". 

Dr. Lynden walked in shortly, shook my hand, was very pleasant. He saw me for all of five minutes or even less. He saw that I'd put escitalopram as my current meds, and asked if it was for depression. I said anxiety. He asked if I'm stable, I said yes. He asked if I was hospitalized for the depression and I said "yes" and he asked "are you stable now?" I said "yes. very much". He asked again if I was okay and I said yes, very much. He gave me instructions on what to do next, to go to pay, then get my xray done in the basement, then go across the street for my labs. He didn't ask to elaborate on the depression or ask to see letters from my family physician but I guess it's good to have that for the interview just in case. Since ultimately, it's the consulate that's going to decide. 

I was the first person at the xray place, I arrived at 9am and was done in 5 minutes. I crossed the street to the LifeLabs, they had me pee in a cup and then drew blood for an STD test. Everyone was friendly, both at xray and labs. I was done by 9:28am. 

I'm assuming all is well because the doctor didn't say anything that led me to believe things weren't okay. When I immigrated to Canada and I got my medical exam done, I was sent to get a psych consult. Dr. Lynden didn't require that here. I've read that Medisys in Montreal was more inquisitive about the mental health thing. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 minutes ago, KristineGB said:

So I debated whether to post this now or after my interview because I don't have my visa approved yet but when I was searching for current feedback on mental health issues at the medical exam in Toronto, I didn't find any. There was one for Medisys but it was for last year. 

I went to Dr. Lynden on Clairhurst and Bathurst as a tip from another VJ-er. (Thank you Brian and Char!) I have a history of depression, with one hospitalization back in 2010 due to the depression and am currently taking meds for anxiety. I'm 200% okay now, completely stable and highly functioning and I think that's what helped my case. No cause for alarm. But, as most of us here, I was overthinking it. And as the case for why I have anxiety - I over think and over prepare and think of worst case scenario. 

According to packet 4:

•  Applicants who have been treated or hospitalized for psychiatric or mental illness or alcohol or drug abuse must present written certification which includes the diagnosis, duration of treatment rendered, and prognosis.

I saw this about two weeks before my medical so I panicked a little. I had my family doctor write me a letter stating that I was stable and "no harm to myself or others", had my psychotherapist write one too and she kindly indicated what we were doing to help me heal, and then asked my former psychiatrist in the Philippines to write me a letter. Poor woman was so swamped with work but she still did it for me.

I then got a record of my hospitalization in the Philippines because I read that you should bring this (the staff were so kind to expedite) and brought my medicines. I arrived at 7:30am for an 8:30am appointment. I know traffic can be horrid going into Toronto (I'm from Mississauga) so I wanted to allot extra time. I parked in the Green Parking across the street and paid for the full day max time ($10 but it's $1.50 for half an hour and later just gave my ticket to a guy who was just coming in because I was done by 930am) because I just didn't want to have to worry about it. If you're on a super tight budget there is a Dollarama underground parking right beside the clinic but I don't know if they charge, you can investigate as an option. There is a Loblaws nearby which may also have cheaper parking, but I'm not sure. I was outside the clinic suite at 7:30am but the door was locked and no one was there. Someone came at around 8:00am but I was to wait outside. They let me in at 8:15am. The receptionist asked for my passport, only 1 passport photo (which kinda sucked because I read somewhere credible but I forgot where that you needed 5 and I paid a fortune for 5), and copies of my vaccine. 

Tip on vaccine that I didn't figure out until later and this is for people who may not have copies of their own. I moved around alot as a child and my mom died when I was young so I have no idea where my records are. I got a titre test to see what I was immune to and then got what I wasn't immune to at the walk in clinic. I was going to go to a travel doctor but it was going to cost me a fortune so I tried - just on a hunch - that I could get it at a walk in clinic covered by OHIP and I did!! All they needed for my age bracket was MMR, TDAP, varicella (chicken pox) and flu shot (seasonal). I only had to get the MMR. At first I thought I was going to have to get everything on packet 4 list. On visadoctor.ca, they'll tell you what they look for per age bracket. 

Back to the medical exam. I filled out a form then was in the room at 8:34, had to fill out another form about my health. There was a question that said "Have you had any illness requiring being in hospital". I initially ticked "no" because I felt like they were looking for something like pneumonia or something, and not depression. But my conscience was bugging me so I circled "yes" as well, thinking I'd just explain later. There was also a question that said, "Do you have any psychological/psychiatric history including major depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia." I encircled "yes", underlined "major depression" and added "past" before "major depression". 

Dr. Lynden walked in shortly, shook my hand, was very pleasant. He saw me for all of five minutes or even less. He saw that I'd put escitalopram as my current meds, and asked if it was for depression. I said anxiety. He asked if I'm stable, I said yes. He asked if I was hospitalized for the depression and I said "yes" and he asked "are you stable now?" I said "yes. very much". He asked again if I was okay and I said yes, very much. He gave me instructions on what to do next, to go to pay, then get my xray done in the basement, then go across the street for my labs. He didn't ask to elaborate on the depression or ask to see letters from my family physician but I guess it's good to have that for the interview just in case. Since ultimately, it's the consulate that's going to decide. 

I was the first person at the xray place, I arrived at 9am and was done in 5 minutes. I crossed the street to the LifeLabs, they had me pee in a cup and then drew blood for an STD test. Everyone was friendly, both at xray and labs. I was done by 9:28am. 

I'm assuming all is well because the doctor didn't say anything that led me to believe things weren't okay. When I immigrated to Canada and I got my medical exam done, I was sent to get a psych consult. Dr. Lynden didn't require that here. I've read that Medisys in Montreal was more inquisitive about the mental health thing. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Hi! What else did they do for the physical exam? Was there any palpation (i dont like getting naked in front of a doctor lol) Or just blood works, urine and x-ray? Thank you

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Kartinee23 said:

Hi! What else did they do for the physical exam? Was there any palpation (i dont like getting naked in front of a doctor lol) Or just blood works, urine and x-ray? Thank you

No undressing, no touching. You get more stuff done at your GP. He didn't put a stethoscope to my chest or anything. Lol. 

My Canadian immigration medical in the Philippines, they checked my butthole. But for this, nada. Just those questions then blood work, urine, xray. They didnt even weight me. Oh, they took my blood pressure. That's it. A female nurse did it. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, KristineGB said:

No undressing, no touching. You get more stuff done at your GP. He didn't put a stethoscope to my chest or anything. Lol. 

My Canadian immigration medical in the Philippines, they checked my butthole. But for this, nada. Just those questions then blood work, urine, xray. They didnt even weight me. Oh, they took my blood pressure. That's it. A female nurse did it. 

What is GP? 

Lol! Yes i dont feel comfortable showing my butthole lmao!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kartinee23 said:

What is GP? 

Lol! Yes i dont feel comfortable showing my butthole lmao!

Oh sometimes they call it general physician. GP

Normally you undress from top down and put on a gown.  Generally leave pants on.  They will listen to your lungs and fell your belly.  Sounds like the OP had a very underwhelming physical which is wonderful. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

Normally you undress from top down and put on a gown.  Generally leave pants on.  They will listen to your lungs and fell your belly.  Sounds like the OP had a very underwhelming physical which is wonderful. 

Oh wow really? Where did you get yours

Timeline
12 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Should I be worried that he didnt really do the usual check-up? 

1 hour ago, KristineGB said:

Should I be worried that he didnt really do the usual check-up? 

I think those doctors don't do as full of an exam as Medisys or Cheema does.  But I wouldn't worry about it because really, what are they going to find on that exam? Nothing. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
19 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I think those doctors don't do as full of an exam as Medisys or Cheema does.  But I wouldn't worry about it because really, what are they going to find on that exam? Nothing. 

What is Cheema?

1 hour ago, KristineGB said:

What is Cheema?

Dr cheema is the one in Surrey BC. 

Timeline
14 hours ago, NikLR said:

Cheema palpated my abdomen, but I didn't have to undress at all.  

Timeline
25 minutes ago, KristineGB said:

UPDATE: Just got my medical exam results in a yellow envelope. That’s 5 business days. 

You went to DR MASCARENHAS at Bathurst and St Claire? How many pieces of pictures did they ask? Thanks  

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Kartinee23 said:

You went to DR MASCARENHAS at Bathurst and St Claire? How many pieces of pictures did they ask? Thanks  

Yes. Just one. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.