Jump to content

Going to New York on L1 Visa (temp secondment 12 months) - want to bring girlfriend

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I have just been approved for an internal transfer for 12 months from my company in the UK to work in their New York office, leaving in October. As part of this, they will be sponsoring my visa (L1). I would like to bring my (spanish) girlfriend with me, though as we are not married then she is not eligible for L2 dependant visa. What are my best options for getting her out there with me? As my secondment is only for a year then we fully intend on returning to the UK (as on my return I'll be in line for a promotion)


I know getting married is an option but not one we're currently considering, so any other alternatives would be helpful



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no options.

You can only bring your spouse. That's it.


29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 


03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  


24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no "girlfriend options".........B2 visa for her to make a short visit......or marriage......

"What I am to be, I am now becoming" - Ben Franklin         


      :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0


Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

She can visit, on VWP on Spanish passport for 90 days at a time or B visa for up to 6 months. She should not be seen to be abusing visit privileges by coming too long or too often, and obviously she cannot work or study on a tourist status. Unless she manages to organize some other visa of her own to coincide with timeframe and place (like a J1), this is the best you’ll be able to do absent marriage.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...