2,900 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Let this not scare you but different field offices in NYC have different wait times..coupled with this new idea of USCIS sending cases from busy locations to less busy locations to achieve equity and faster processing times for all...here's what the N.Y. N.Y. field office says.... But my own field office says 7.5 months and up!

1. 14 Months to 24 Months
    Employment-based adjustment applications
    July 25, 2017
  2. 20.5 Months to 36 Months
    Family-based adjustment applications
    July 29, 2016

I submit my I-485 base on marriage on October 2017, and i had my marriage base interview May 2019. (17 months after) NYC.... 

Received a notification on September 2018 that my I-485 was on queue for an interview, Got the interview notice on April 2019 for May 2019... (8 months after a notification was received total wait 17 months)...  😕

Just now, FeDaniela said:

I submit my I-485 base on marriage on October 2017, and i had my marriage base interview May 2019. (17 months after) NYC.... 

Received a notification on September 2018 that my I-485 was on queue for an interview, Got the interview notice on April 2019 for May 2019... (8 months after a notification was received total wait 17 months)...  😕

Obviously I got the above info from USCIS processing times..I couldn't have altered it in any way...you can look on the site to confirm! Of course it may not be practical..but it's just what the site says hun!☺ 

Just now, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Obviously I got the above info from USCIS processing times..I couldn't have altered it in any way...you can look on the site to confirm! Of course it may not be practical..but it's just what the site says hun!☺ 

i put on my timeline for you guys to have an idea...... on how long maybe is taking..... it could be less or could be more... Hope for those like you being transfer from Vermont to NYC local office is not such a long time.

Filed: Other Timeline

I am beyond frustrated!  So it's been over a year since my Vawa was approved, twice now I have submitted my adjustment of status package along with the I-912 Fee waiver and twice it has been sent back denied, we are at a loss because the second time we included even more information.  I'm a full time student, we receive section 8 housing, Snap food benefits, both my toddlers have medicaid and our only source of income is $850 in social security disability, I included so much information and bank statements, my school paperwork showing I receive the full pell grant, proving all the means-tested benefits I have and they still denied the fee-waiver even though we are definitely below the 150% poverty line and proved we receive several public benefits.  What the heck  else am I suppose to provide for them? The attorney who helped me submit everything is furious, saying that it absolutely qualifies and that she doesn't understand why they are denying fee waivers that more than qualify under their guidelines.  I'm contacting my Senator's office in the mean time as well to see if they can help me. 

Oh, and my EAD expires next week, so if they were denying it based on that fact alone that I had an EAD, well NOT ANYMORE. :(

1 hour ago, namastenyc said:

Hi everyone,

Hope that you all are doing well and enjoying the summer. I wanted to ask about immigration timelines for NY and interview for I-485 AOS. I’ve been reading that the wait times for NYC is really long. The last update I received was that my I-360 case was approved and they issued for work permit shortly thereafter. I originally filed my paperwork in Aug. 2017. No new updates on my case as of March 2019. Does anyone know the anticipated wait time to get the request for the GC interview then finally the GC approval? The lag time for NY seems to be particularly long. What are people’s experiences? Any thoughts and feedback would be very much appreciated. I just want to know so as my keep my expectations about the duration of the process in line. Many thanks for your time and attention. I appreciate all your valuable inputs and contributions throughout this journey. 

Hi, I’m also from NYC. I filed mine last Sept. 2018 and my EAD is under C31. Is your EAD C31 or C09? I only had a prima facie, after that long silence until now I haven’t heard any updates yet. 

7 minutes ago, MsVi2 said:

I am beyond frustrated!  So it's been over a year since my Vawa was approved, twice now I have submitted my adjustment of status package along with the I-912 Fee waiver and twice it has been sent back denied, we are at a loss because the second time we included even more information.  I'm a full time student, we receive section 8 housing, Snap food benefits, both my toddlers have medicaid and our only source of income is $850 in social security disability, I included so much information and bank statements, my school paperwork showing I receive the full pell grant, proving all the means-tested benefits I have and they still denied the fee-waiver even though we are definitely below the 150% poverty line and proved we receive several public benefits.  What the heck  else am I suppose to provide for them? The attorney who helped me submit everything is furious, saying that it absolutely qualifies and that she doesn't understand why they are denying fee waivers that more than qualify under their guidelines.  I'm contacting my Senator's office in the mean time as well to see if they can help me. 

Oh, and my EAD expires next week, so if they were denying it based on that fact alone that I had an EAD, well NOT ANYMORE. :(

I’m really sorry to hear this. Ths kegak assistajt at the non-profit advised me to gather the funds and plan ahead and prepare to pay the fees in advance. She told me ages ago the it’s extremely difficult to get the fees waived. Your experience proves it because based on your need, immigration status, circumstances, you clearly met the eligibility criteria to qualify for other relief based on your present ability to pay according to certain income guidelines set forth. 

1 hour ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Hi there..I'm from NYC as well..got approved in March as well..do you know if your i485 has been transferred to the local office..I guess the wait times starts from there...yes NYC has long wait times..but it's not that terrible! We were patient enough to wait for approval..lets wait for the interview with a heart of gratitude..before you know it..It's time!☺

Thanks for your detailed response. No, I have received any additional updates. Where do I get this info from and how can I follow up regarding if it’s been transferrred to the local field office? How can I find out if it’s berb transferred or  on hold? Many thanks! 🙏

Filed: Other Timeline
2 minutes ago, namastenyc said:

I’m really sorry to hear this. Ths kegak assistajt at the non-profit advised me to gather the funds and plan ahead and prepare to pay the fees in advance. She told me ages ago the it’s extremely difficult to get the fees waived. Your experience proves it because based on your need, immigration status, circumstances, you clearly met the eligibility criteria to qualify for other relief based on your present ability to pay according to certain income guidelines set forth. 

When I submitted my Vawa it was also submitted with a fee waiver and that was approved even though we provided less proof than this time.  The attorney who helped me says that the current political climate is what's causing them to be more strict and make mistakes and issue denials when they shouldn't be, and it's so frustrating because there isn't really an appeal process for the fee waivers.  

See my post above!

No, I don’t have any updates or notification about next steps or contact info for local field office or new paperwork. Everytime I recheck the case status on the USCIS website, it just notes the case has been approved. Is it now appropriate the Congress person in my district? Not sure what the next follow up steps are. 

Hi there..I'm from NYC as well..got approved in March as well..do you know if your i485 has been transferred to the local office..I guess the wait times starts from there...yes NYC has long wait times..but it's not that terrible! We were patient enough to wait for approval..lets wait for the interview with a heart of gratitude..before you know it..It's time!☺

Congrats on the approval. 💕

14 minutes ago, Optimistic1986 said:

Hi, I’m also from NYC. I filed mine last Sept. 2018 and my EAD is under C31. Is your EAD C31 or C09? I only had a prima facie, after that long silence until now I haven’t heard any updates yet. 

C31. For me, it took around 19 months from the time the case was filed aug 2017 till it was approved in March 2019 to finally get the work permit. 

Let this not scare you but different field offices in NYC have different wait times..coupled with this new idea of USCIS sending cases from busy locations to less busy locations to achieve equity and faster processing times for all...here's what the N.Y. N.Y. field office says.... But my own field office says 7.5 months and up!

1. 14 Months to 24 Months
    Employment-based adjustment applications
    July 25, 2017
  2. 20.5 Months to 36 Months
    Family-based adjustment applications
    July 29, 2016

Thanks s lot. I really appreciate it. How can a hold of this info, though? I have no way to tracking where the case is being adjudicated anymore. No updates on the website when I type my receipt number either.  

4 minutes ago, namastenyc said:

No, I don’t have any updates or notification about next steps or contact info for local field office or new paperwork. Everytime I recheck the case status on the USCIS website, it just notes the case has been approved. Is it now appropriate the Congress person in my district? Not sure what the next follow up steps are. 

Congrats on the approval. 💕

Thanks dear..congrats to us! 🍸 🍸 cheers! Now about the i485..they usually update the status..but I've come to know that it's not in all cases! It may have been moved to the local office without alerting you..it happens..but have you gone to check it by yourself..try and see what it says!

3 minutes ago, namastenyc said:

C31. For me, it took around 19 months from the time the case was filed aug 2017 till it was approved in March 2019 to finally get the work permit. 

That’s absolutely insane! It’s a really looonngg wait omg. So to speak, I’m not even close to my approval 😩. Congratulations on your work permit btw. At least you can work now. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.