Zmata92

Spouse Passport???

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm the petitioner and the case has gotten approved "Thank you for your interest in immigrating to the United States of America. The Department of State's National Visa Center (NVC) received your approved immigrant visa petition from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). NVC's role is to ensure you are prepared for your immigrant visa interview at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate General, and to schedule your interview appointment."

Now i'm submitting in the supportive documents and affidavit of support and all that good stuff, and now its asking for my wife's (currently in mexico) passport information in which she is in the process of getting. My only concern is all the documents I've submitted prior to the case being approved have been in my wife's maiden name and not her married name. 

So my question is, should my wife get her passport with her maiden name since I've used that name on all her forms or will it be ok if she gets her passport with her married name even though I've been using her maiden name for all her forms I've submitted to the USCIS?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zmata92 said:

I'm the petitioner and the case has gotten approved "Thank you for your interest in immigrating to the United States of America. The Department of State's National Visa Center (NVC) received your approved immigrant visa petition from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). NVC's role is to ensure you are prepared for your immigrant visa interview at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate General, and to schedule your interview appointment."

Now i'm submitting in the supportive documents and affidavit of support and all that good stuff, and now its asking for my wife's (currently in mexico) passport information in which she is in the process of getting. My only concern is all the documents I've submitted prior to the case being approved have been in my wife's maiden name and not her married name. 

So my question is, should my wife get her passport with her maiden name since I've used that name on all her forms or will it be ok if she gets her passport with her married name even though I've been using her maiden name for all her forms I've submitted to the USCIS?

At the NVC stage you will use the exact name that is in her current passport. My I-130 had my wife's maried name (my last name), but at the NVC stage I had to use the name in her passport (Maiden Name). Colombians do not change their names to a married name, they keep their last names from brith until death. Good luck.

“I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.”

“I AM NOT ACCREDITED TO REPRESENT YOU BEFORE THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE AND THE IMMIGRATION BOARD OF APPEALS.”

Married: 03September2010

Beneficiary Country: Colombia

CR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 21March2011

USCIS Expedited Approved: 21June2011

NOA2: 21June2011

NVC Expedite Approved: 14September2011

Interview: 21October2011

POE: 28October2011

I-90 (Name Change)

NOA1: 03January2012

Biometrics: 07February2012

Approved: 07February2012

ROC (Approved)

NOA1: 28October2013

Interview: 22November2013

Approved: 11March2014

***Moved back to Colombia to finish graduate studies. Wife filed I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence Status) at the tourist visa interview. After finishing graduate school, we decided to move back to the U.S.***

B1/B2 (Approved)

DS-160: 12June2017

Interview: 12July2017

Filed I-407: 12July2017

IR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 09October2018

USCIS Expedite Approved: 05April2019

NOA2: 09April2019

NVC Expedite Approved: 23May2019

Interview: 10June2019

POE: 29June2019

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zmata92 said:

She can get her new passport with married name. I actually recommend it since her GC will be issued in that name and you wil save the expense of changing her name on the GC later on. Good luck!

“I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.”

“I AM NOT ACCREDITED TO REPRESENT YOU BEFORE THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE AND THE IMMIGRATION BOARD OF APPEALS.”

Married: 03September2010

Beneficiary Country: Colombia

CR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 21March2011

USCIS Expedited Approved: 21June2011

NOA2: 21June2011

NVC Expedite Approved: 14September2011

Interview: 21October2011

POE: 28October2011

I-90 (Name Change)

NOA1: 03January2012

Biometrics: 07February2012

Approved: 07February2012

ROC (Approved)

NOA1: 28October2013

Interview: 22November2013

Approved: 11March2014

***Moved back to Colombia to finish graduate studies. Wife filed I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Residence Status) at the tourist visa interview. After finishing graduate school, we decided to move back to the U.S.***

B1/B2 (Approved)

DS-160: 12June2017

Interview: 12July2017

Filed I-407: 12July2017

IR1 (Expedited USCIS and NVC)

NOA1: 09October2018

USCIS Expedite Approved: 05April2019

NOA2: 09April2019

NVC Expedite Approved: 23May2019

Interview: 10June2019

POE: 29June2019

If she wants her green card in married name she should get her passport in married name. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.