cherylc522

Name Changes

5 posts in this topic

I recently got re married and want to change my last name to my new married name. I ran into some information that said if I update my legal name then I am required to re apply for my permanent resident card. I'm at the point where I am going to be applying for naturalization within the next year or so, but I would like to have my married name changed now. My question is: If I get my legal name changed, am I required to apply for a new permanent resident card? Or is it okay to leave my card in the current name while having my legal name changed?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
10 hours ago, cherylc522 said:

I recently got re married and want to change my last name to my new married name. I ran into some information that said if I update my legal name then I am required to re apply for my permanent resident card. I'm at the point where I am going to be applying for naturalization within the next year or so, but I would like to have my married name changed now. My question is: If I get my legal name changed, am I required to apply for a new permanent resident card? Or is it okay to leave my card in the current name while having my legal name changed?

https://info.legalzoom.com/need-change-name-green-card-married-20528.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 hours ago, cherylc522 said:

I changed my name on my DL, SSC, and foreign passport over the last two years, but still have my green card in my maiden name. Now I applied for naturalization and filled out that I changed my name so it will be reflected in the certificate (did not request a name change). Not a big deal.

ETA: I also recently traveled internationally and used the name in my passport and had 0 issues. Nobody even asked me about it, even though I was ready with my marriage certificate.

Edited by Mollie09

7 hours ago, Mollie09 said:

I changed my name on my DL, SSC, and foreign passport over the last two years, but still have my green card in my maiden name. Now I applied for naturalization and filled out that I changed my name so it will be reflected in the certificate (did not request a name change). Not a big deal.

ETA: I also recently traveled internationally and used the name in my passport and had 0 issues. Nobody even asked me about it, even though I was ready with my marriage certificate.

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was wanting to hear!! In this case my Canadian passport and greencard will be in one name but everything else will be in my new married name until I go through my naturalization and get it all updated. 

21 hours ago, cherylc522 said:

My question is: If I get my legal name changed, am I required to apply for a new permanent resident card?

Just a heads up, some states, their DMV will require you to change your name on your immigration document (green card, in your case) before they'll allow you to change your name on your driver's license. I know that definitely happened to me, here in Ohio. They denied my name change because my green card was still in my old name. But, I got my naturalization certificate now (which is in my new name) so I can change my name on my license.

10-year green card received: 2004-02-01

N-400 Filed Online:  2018-11-28

N-400 Biometrics Appointment: 2018-12-20

N-400 Notice of Interview: 2019-01-04

N-400 Interview Appointment: 2019-02-21

N-400 Application Approved: 2019-02-21

N-400 Notice of Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-11

N-400 Oath Ceremony: 2019-04-18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.