Help_us

Online N-400 - Attach marriage certificate

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

I went online for tax transcripts and the IRS website only goes back 4 years for transcripts. i haven't looked into how to request dates that are further back yet. 

AOS

6/2007: Sent in I-485, I-130, I-765

7/2007: Biometrics

12/2007: Interview at Local Office, GC approved/received in mail

ROC

10-13-2009: Sent I-751 to CSC

10-14-2009: Package received at CSC

10-22-2009: I-751 check cashed

10-24-2009: Received NOA in mail

11-13-2009: Biometrics

12-8-2009: Card Production Ordered

12-10-2009: Approval Notice Sent

Naturalization

1-11-2019: Applied online

1-29-2019: Biometrics 

6-11-2019: Interview

6-11-2019: USCIS account updated to say APPROVED

I uploaded all information pertaining to my marital status.

- Divorce decree from first marriage

- Marriage cert from current marriage

- Divorce decrees from DW previous 2 marriages.

I would advise against adding unsolicited information to the online application. Take it to the interview.

• 4 months later...

I promised an update after my interview so here we go .... Wifey and I had our interviews yesterday at same time. We were interviewed by different IOs. My wife was called first and hers was less that 7 minutes. Mine would have taken same time were it not for chitchatting and IO correcting system errors-- we got approved on the spot and were given our Oath letters. None of us was asked for any documents besides green card. Since we didn't attach any records (MC, kids birth certificates, tax records etc) we carried everything but we were not asked for it at all. So for those still wondering whether to attach these documents and are not applying based on marriage, I can confidently say, it's not necessary but just carry them in case they ask. Just follow the online Document Checklist and don't stress about attaching things that are not listed.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, Mka19 said:

I promised an update after my interview so here we go .... Wifey and I had our interviews yesterday at same time. We were interviewed by different IOs. My wife was called first and hers was less that 7 minutes. Mine would have taken same time were it not for chitchatting and IO correcting system errors-- we got approved on the spot and were given our Oath letters. None of us was asked for any documents besides green card. Since we didn't attach any records (MC, kids birth certificates, tax records etc) we carried everything but we were not asked for it at all. So for those still wondering whether to attach these documents and are not applying based on marriage, I can confidently say, it's not necessary but just carry them in case they ask. Just follow the online Document Checklist and don't stress about attaching things that are not listed.

Well, I’m another one who applied not marriage based and had to upload my marriage certificate. My husband just applied on 5 year basis and was also asked to upload his. We both had to upload our kids birth certificates as well by the way. All diversity visa based so no reason for any of these certificates being required, but they were.  The docs weren’t asked for at interview (I’ve had my interview) but we couldn’t submit without them. Weird how you weren’t asked for them during the online application but others are.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:24 AM, jer216 said:

I went online for tax transcripts and the IRS website only goes back 4 years for transcripts. i haven't looked into how to request dates that are further back yet. 

I took the available 4 years of transcripts and there was some other option (not as detailed) going back further that I printed as well for the interview.  Wasn’t an issue, they weren’t asked for. 

• 8 months later...
On 10/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, Mka19 said:

I also applied based on 5 years rule. However, I just submitted the copy of GC and marriage certificate for both myself and my spouse. I was asked to upload the birth certificate for my kids but I did not. Is the birth certificate needed? If yes, should I upload it as part of unsolicited documents?

7 hours ago, Decent80 said:

I also applied based on 5 years rule. However, I just submitted the copy of GC and marriage certificate for both myself and my spouse. I was asked to upload the birth certificate for my kids but I did not. Is the birth certificate needed? If yes, should I upload it as part of unsolicited documents?

Is there a reason you didn’t upload it when they asked? I uploaded my kids’ ones. I did 5 year rule and was asked to upload same list of documents you mention. I presumed they were listed because they were required so uploaded what they asked for.

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Is there a reason you didn’t upload it when they asked? I uploaded my kids’ ones. I did 5 year rule and was asked to upload same list of documents you mention. I presumed they were listed because they were required so uploaded what they asked for.

There were two sections, one required section where GC and marriage certificate were asked, in the additional evidence section they asked for  child birth certificate and any other additional evidence. 

5 minutes ago, Decent80 said:

There were two sections, one required section where GC and marriage certificate were asked, in the additional evidence section they asked for  child birth certificate and any other additional evidence. 

Really? I don’t remember any difference between “required” and not, just uploaded what they asked. Figured if they asked for it they wanted it for a reason. Anyway imo you’re overthinking it. Either you decide it’s not required and leave it out, or just upload it and stop stressing about it.

On 6/5/2019 at 3:56 PM, Mka19 said:

I disagree here! Under 5 year rule you are not required to send marriage certificates and tax return transcripts. You are required to take those to your interview though. My friend got approved last year on 5 year rule (work-based PMR) without submitting those. Personally I applied in February under the same rule. I didn't submit those either although I'm still waiting for interview. Read the evidence check-list / requirement on USCIS website.

I was asked to submit the certificate as well and if you dont submit those you get an error message. 

The website is not known for being a technical master piece. It has a huge amount of errors and records several fields incorrectly (don't worry, the IO knows and they will go over it with you during the interview). It might be as simple as an error in the code that will not let you proceed without the certificate ones you entered "married".

The warning that your application may be denied or delayed if you do not upload stuff is more to cover them than anything else. If you have filed your taxes on time every year, there is no reason to upload your tax returns unless specifically asked. Just bring them with you to the interview (and most likely they will never been asked for).

On 7/7/2020 at 9:20 PM, Fr8dog said:

The website is not known for being a technical master piece. It has a huge amount of errors and records several fields incorrectly (don't worry, the IO knows and they will go over it with you during the interview). It might be as simple as an error in the code that will not let you proceed without the certificate ones you entered "married".

The warning that your application may be denied or delayed if you do not upload stuff is more to cover them than anything else. If you have filed your taxes on time every year, there is no reason to upload your tax returns unless specifically asked. Just bring them with you to the interview (and most likely they will never been asked for).

I agree. I checked the N400 document checklist and it does not require marriage certificate nor birth certificate or tax returns for individuals who are applying as part of 5 year rule. Also, I always provide the bare minimum needed. So I just uploaded Copy if GC and marriage certificate. 

Edited by Decent80

On 6/5/2019 at 3:56 PM, Mka19 said:

I disagree here! Under 5 year rule you are not required to send marriage certificates and tax return transcripts. You are required to take those to your interview though. My friend got approved last year on 5 year rule (work-based PMR) without submitting those. Personally I applied in February under the same rule. I didn't submit those either although I'm still waiting for interview. Read the evidence check-list / requirement on USCIS website.

Agreed. Under 5 year rule, you don't have to upload tax return transcripts.

But I'll bring them with me to the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.