Zoeeeeeee

Sage travels Brandon!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, brandonflude1 said:

It takes 2 weeks for your paperwork and such to all be in the system, and then it takes around 2 weeks from when you apply for them to issue it and you receive it.

If you apply too early, and your name isn't in the SAVE (I believe it's called this) Database then it needs to be manually verified and this can take up to 8 weeks I think 

The two weeks wait came from when the I-94 was a handwritten card passengers filled out on the plane. It had to get sent from the airport to a data center where busy minions typed the info into the system. Now your passport scan at entry/exit populates the database. If you have an I-94 online, then you should already be in the SAVE database.  After a successful trip to the SSA office, your card could arrive by mail in 4-5 days. 

If not found in the SAVE database it's probably not because you didn't wait two weeks. Reasons for fail at SSA::

• Your SSA worker is clueless and says a K1 can't have a SSN.
  • Your SSA worker is clueless and says you got married so turned into a K3.
  • Your SSA worker is clueless and can't even do a proper search or types name wrong.
  • Your passport scan messed up on your name and put first and middle names in one field...JOHNDAVID SMITH. The SSA worker can't find JOHN DAVID SMITH.
  • You got married and want your card in your new married surname. You are only going to be found by the name on your I-94.
  • Computer say NO!! 😂 

So if your name got messed up in the passport scan, it's still going to be messed up in 2, 4, 6 or more weeks. The SSA sends it off to USCIS to verify your legal entry.  USCIS worker goes duh...it's not JOHNDAVID. This is JOHN DAVID and sends it back to SSA. BUT sometimes Sweet Susie at the SSA office tosses it aside and forgets to send it off for verification. Meanwhile you waited for weeks, months for verification that never even got sent off. 😡 When you go back to check on it, you find out it's still sat in your local office, but you're past your 76th day in the country so are ineligible until your EAD is approved. 

Social Security can be an easy experience, but some find it a train wreck.

Edited by Wuozopo

5 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The two weeks wait came from when the I-94 was a handwritten card passengers filled out on the plane. It had to get sent from the airport to a data center where busy minions typed the info into the system. Now your passport scan at entry/exit populates the database. If you have an I-94 online, then you should already be in the SAVE database.  After a successful trip to the SSA office, your card could arrive by mail in 4-5 days. 

If not found in the SAVE database it's probably not because you didn't wait two weeks. Reasons for fail at SSA::

• Your SSA worker is clueless and can't even do a proper search or types name wrong.
  • Your passport scan messed up on your name and put first and middle names in one field...JOHNDAVID SMITH. The SSA worker can't find JOHN DAVID SMITH.
  • You got married and want your card in your new married surname. You are only going to be found by the name on your I-94.
  • Computer say NO!! 😂 

So if your name got messed up in the passport scan, it's still going to be messed up in 2, 4, 6 or more weeks. The SSA sends it off to USCIS to verify your legal entry.  USCIS worker goes duh...it's not JOHNDAVID. This is JOHN DAVID and sends it back to SSA. BUT sometimes Sweet Susie at the SSA office tosses it aside and forgets to send it off for verification. Meanwhile you waited for weeks, months for verification that never even got sent off. 😡 When you go back to check on it, you find out it's still sat in your local office, but you're past your 76th day in the country so are ineligible until your EAD is approved. 

That’s useful, if depressing! I’m going to go back to my plan of applying straight away then 🙃.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

• Computer say NO!! 😂 

So if my I-94 just has FIRSTNAME LASTNAME, my middle name is not included at all, so I include that on the SSA form? 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

So if my I-94 just has FIRSTNAME LASTNAME, my middle name is not included at all, so I include that on the SSA form? 

Apply in the name exactly as it appears on your I-94. Otherwise they will send you off (or forget to) to verify. Get the card and SSN and worry about names later. My first card had no middle name. My greencard arrived with a middle initial so when I went to SSA to update that I was an LPR, they had to give me a new card because SAVE now had a middle initial. They must match whatever USCIS has for you.

And now I have a full middle name on my latest Social Security card because naturalization spelled the whole name out.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Apply in the name exactly as it appears on your I-94. Otherwise they will send you off (or forget to) to verify. Get the card and SSN and worry about names later. My first card had no middle name. My greencard arrived with a middle initial so when I went to SSA to update that I was an LPR, they had to give me a new card because SAVE now had a middle initial. They must match whatever USCIS has for you.

And now I have a full middle name on my latest Social Security card because naturalization spelled the whole name out.

Thank you :) 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

So,

My I-94 has FIRST and LAST

My VISA has both FIRST and MIDDLE under GIVEN NAMES.

should I apply for SSN without a middle name; or should I let the officer fill in the form for me?

Timeline
34 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

So,

My I-94 has FIRST and LAST

My VISA has both FIRST and MIDDLE under GIVEN NAMES.

should I apply for SSN without a middle name; or should I let the officer fill in the form for me?

My office tossed aside my form and she just started typing. Didn't bother looking at what I wrote. I did ask, may I have a middle name please? She said "Nope, because that's not in the database. You get what you get". 😂

The sad sad truth is some workers know what their doing and some have little experience with K1s because they're a rarity compared to other immigrants and regular Americans who fill their offices to overflowing daily.  It's Russian Roulette when you go in on exactly what will happen. I think if you apply matching the I-94 you have a better chance. But be aware of the rules so you don't fall for random BS like your visa turned into a K3. Remember just because they work for the government doesn't mean they have a clue about immigration nuances. And if the worker doesn't seem to be zipping through and done and starts talking manual verify, then ask for a supervisor and act like you plan to camp there all night until they bring one out (politely of course.)

And just because you don't have a middle name on your SS card doesn't mean you can't use your middle name in your everyday life. Or that ladies can't start using their married name because it's not on their SS card. Social Security Administration doesn't define your legal name. The number is what counts. Not many places even need to see the card. They just want the number.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:12 PM, Wuozopo said:

My office tossed aside my form and she just started typing. Didn't bother looking at what I wrote. I did ask, may I have a middle name please? She said "Nope, because that's not in the database. You get what you get". 😂

The sad sad truth is some workers know what their doing and some have little experience with K1s because they're a rarity compared to other immigrants and regular Americans who fill their offices to overflowing daily.  It's Russian Roulette when you go in on exactly what will happen. I think if you apply matching the I-94 you have a better chance. But be aware of the rules so you don't fall for random BS like your visa turned into a K3. Remember just because they work for the government doesn't mean they have a clue about immigration nuances. And if the worker doesn't seem to be zipping through and done and starts talking manual verify, then ask for a supervisor and act like you plan to camp there all night until they bring one out (politely of course.)

And just because you don't have a middle name on your SS card doesn't mean you can't use your middle name in your everyday life. Or that ladies can't start using their married name because it's not on their SS card. Social Security Administration doesn't define your legal name. The number is what counts. Not many places even need to see the card. They just want the number.

See, this is why I obsessively check this forum - I’m constantly learning. Unfortunately, my memory isn’t incredible, so I’m definitely going to be searching the forum, writing a checklist and begging you to check it over before I leave @Wuozopo (assuming I’m successful at my interview)!

I actually got my letter from the embassy today! There was something rather exciting about seeing that address on the envelope and seen the approved stamp on Herschell’s petition. I bet they’re wondering why I’ve not already got an interview scheduled in, as everyone does it as soon as a case number’s assigned 😆.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

See, this is why I obsessively check this forum - I’m constantly learning. Unfortunately, my memory isn’t incredible, so I’m definitely going to be searching the forum, writing a checklist and begging you to check it over before I leave @Wuozopo (assuming I’m successful at my interview)!

Well heck, I'm a bloody American now so I know this stuff...😂🤣🇺🇸

Actually my wife knows all the American stuff and I pick it up from her. She's a whiz at tax returns too.

Timeline
On 6/1/2019 at 5:11 PM, Zoeeeeeee said:

I actually got my letter from the embassy today! There was something rather exciting about seeing that address on the envelope and seen the approved stamp on Herschell’s petition. I bet they’re wondering why I’ve not already got an interview scheduled in, as everyone does it as soon as a case number’s assigned 😆.

I never got a copy or a letter from the embassy :(

2 hours ago, brandonflude1 said:

I never got a copy or a letter from the embassy :(

Well, based on where you’re sat, right this second, proves that you don’t really need one 🙃

Timeline

Applied for a SSN today - couldn’t find me in the system. (2 days short of the 2 weeks?). Was given a letter stating that they would be sending my paperwork off to verify it and check my alien status. I recommend waiting the 2 weeks. 

Officer wasn’t sure - he tried my name multiple different ways, first and last, first middle last, firstmiddle last, etc. But to no avail. Not sure why, but looks like a 4 week manual verification then 2 weeks to have it issued. Bleh

Edited by brandonflude1

Timeline
1 minute ago, brandonflude1 said:

Applied for a SSN today - couldn’t find me in the system. (2 days short of the 2 weeks?). Was given a letter stating that they would be sending my paperwork off to verify it and check my alien status. I recommend waiting the 2 weeks. 

I don't think it would be any different. You could have said "never mind" and told them to cancel your application. Then go back in three days to try again. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.