tim_lyn_brigade

Applying for assylum in the Philippines?

42 posts in this topic

Hi. I am the husband American, who brought his Filipino wife to the USA. We found life in the US was way to difficult. So we went back to the Philippines. Better jobs here and housing. If nothing else. The only problem is, my wife has been out of the country for over a year. So she is now stateless. So are the kids. I can apply for the kids to live here under my status(I'm not a foreigner), but I can't afford it. We can also fly out of the country. But again, I can't afford it. Mind you, I am one of the richest millionaires in the Philippines. I make anywhere from 5,000-10,000 a month. Sometimes upwards of 20,000 a month. So how do the poor people do it? I was thinking, can my wife and kids just apply for asylum here? Thanks.

Edited by tim_lyn_brigade

14 minutes ago, tim_lyn_brigade said:

Hi. I am the husband American, who brought his Filipino wife to the USA. We found life in the US was way to difficult. So we went back to the Philippines. Better jobs here and housing. If nothing else. The only problem is, my wife has been out of the country for over a year. So she is now stateless. So are the kids. I can apply for the kids to live here under my status(I'm not a foreigner), but I can't afford it. We can also fly out of the country. But again, I can't afford it. Mind you, I am one of the richest millionaires in the Philippines. I make anywhere from 5,000-10,000 a month. Sometimes upwards of 20,000 a month. So how do the poor people do it? I was thinking, can my wife and kids just apply for asylum here? Thanks.

Asylum under what grounds?  Persecution by the Philippine government for being rich?

And why would she be "stateless"?  She is still a citizen of the Philippines.

Edited by Jorgedig

What's the basis for asylum again? Credible fear from...?

Asylum also requires being within the US already (or at POE).

Not sure how she is stateless...?

I'm assuming your earnings are in PHP and that's why it doesn't meet the minimums for sponsorship.

If so, you can return to the US beforehand to get a US-based job earning enough money to sponsor them. Or you can use assets. Or you can find a joint sponsor.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just now, Jorgedig said:

Asylum under what grounds?  Persecution by the Philippine government for being rich?

And why would she be "stateless"?  She is still a citizen if the Philippines.

On having nowhere else to go? Not sure. What are the options? Not a citizen. As I said, she has been gone a year already.

4 minutes ago, tim_lyn_brigade said:

On having nowhere else to go? Not sure. What are the options? Not a citizen. As I said, she has been gone a year already.

So you're saying that filipinos lose their citizenship after being out of the Philippines for one year?  I'm not a Philippines expert, but I find that surprising, especially with how mobile filipinos seem to be with regards to working abroad, etc.

Also just to clarify:  she isn't yet a US citizen, correct?  Is Philippines one of the countries that doesn't allow for dual citizenship?

Edited by Jorgedig

Just now, geowrian said:

What's the basis for asylum again? Credible fear from...?

Asylum also requires being within the US already (or at POE).

Not sure how she is stateless...?

I'm assuming your earnings are in PHP and that's why it doesn't meet the minimums for sponsorship.

If so, you can return to the US beforehand to get a US-based job earning enough money to sponsor them. Or you can use assets. Or you can find a joint sponsor.

Fear from arrest? Why would the US need to be involved for asylum? She did go to the US. I said that. But not sure why that matters? She is stateless, because we cannot afford to buy her citizenship anywhere. Why would we go BACK to the US? We just left. Why would I want a US-based job when I left the US because of the jobs? Also, are plane tickets to America free? If so, why can't we just fly somewhere else? Surely it would be cheaper to fly to Thailand than the USA? Might even get a boat? I was unaware I needed to sponsor her. We have no assets. Where can we find a sponsor or joint sponsor? I had no idea this was required.

1 minute ago, tim_lyn_brigade said:

Fear from arrest? Why would the US need to be involved for asylum? She did go to the US. I said that. But not sure why that matters? She is stateless, because we cannot afford to buy her citizenship anywhere. Why would we go BACK to the US? We just left. Why would I want a US-based job when I left the US because of the jobs? Also, are plane tickets to America free? If so, why can't we just fly somewhere else? Surely it would be cheaper to fly to Thailand than the USA? Might even get a boat? I was unaware I needed to sponsor her. We have no assets. Where can we find a sponsor or joint sponsor? I had no idea this was required.

Arrest?!

I am truly confused.  Does your wife currently have, or did she at one time have a green card?  If so, you can't be completely unfamiliar with the concept of sponsorship.

Just now, Jorgedig said:

So you're saying that filipinos lose their citizenship after being out of the Philippines for one year?  I'm not a Philippines expert, but I find that surprising, especially with how mobile filipinos seem to be with regards to working abroad, etc.

Also just to clarify:  she isn't yet a US citizen, correct?  Is Philippines one of the countries that doesn't allow for dual citizenship?

Yeah one year. You can come back to the Philippines, but you are very restricted. Can't work, can't buy land. And have to leave after a year. Leave to where? They did away with dual citizenship years ago. Back in 2003. So no more dual citizenship allowed. No, not a US citizen.

10 minutes ago, tim_lyn_brigade said:

Where was she born? What were the nationalities of her parents?

Very few people are stateless, especially adults, unless they deliberately gave up citizenship.

6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Is Philippines one of the countries that doesn't allow for dual citizenship?

It's allowed, although one loses Filipino citizenship when they become a US citizen. They need to fill out a form and such to get it back and become dual citizens.

4 minutes ago, tim_lyn_brigade said:

So you're looking for information on applying for asylum within the Philippines? I assumed you meant the US - if that's incorrect, then disregard my remarks on anything with the US.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Just now, Jorgedig said:

Arrest?!

I am truly confused.  Does your wife currently have, or did she at one time have a green card?  If so, you can't be completely unfamiliar with the concept of sponsorship.

They arrest illegals here. The Philippines is not like America. lol Yes, she has a permanent resident card. Ah OK. So we need to find a sponsor here as well? Do you know of any guarantor companies in Manila? And their prices? Are there any free ones, per chance? For example, can PAO do it?

Just now, geowrian said:

Where was she born? What were the nationalities of her parents?

Very few people are stateless, especially adults, unless they deliberately gave up citizenship.

It's allowed, although one loses Filipino citizenship when they become a US citizen. They need to fill out a form and such to get it back and become dual citizens.

So you're looking for information on applying for asylum within the Philippines? I assumed you meant the US - if that's incorrect, then my remarks regarding anything with the US.

I don't want to say her province online. Tsismis. Her parents were Filipino. No, dual citizenship is not allowed anymore.  Yes, Philippines. As the title and content states. "Applying for assylum in the Philippines? "

5 minutes ago, tim_lyn_brigade said:

Yeah one year. You can come back to the Philippines, but you are very restricted. Can't work, can't buy land. And have to leave after a year. Leave to where? They did away with dual citizenship years ago. Back in 2003. So no more dual citizenship allowed. No, not a US citizen.

Sir Im from the Philippines and im pretty sure that you dont lose citizenship by being in the US for just over a year. I have friends from who left the Philippines already with PR in US and in Canada but are still FIlipino citizens by right of birth until they revoke citizenship when they acquire a new one. Also as for sponsorship wasnt that required when you apply for I130?

Just now, tim_lyn_brigade said:

I don't want to say her province online. Tsismis. Her parents were Filipino. No, dual citizenship is not allowed anymore.  Yes, Philippines. As the title and content states. "Applying for assylum in the Philippines? "

So how did she lose Filipino citizenship...?

Yes, dual citizenship is still allowed. Many Filipinos on this website have done so fine. It does require an extra step and a small fee, but it's definitely still in existence.

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/dual-citizensh1p-ra-9225

I assumed "in" was used instead of "within".

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Just now, melovescookie said:

Sir Im from the Philippines and im pretty sure that you dont lose citizenship by being in the US for just over a year. I have friends from who left the Philippines already with PR in US and in Canada but are still FIlipino citizens by right of birth until they revoke citizenship when they acquire a new one. Also as for sponsorship wasnt that required when you apply for I130?

Pretty sure. But I am 100% sure. The I130 is a US form. It does not apply. You can still be arrested. Even with Filipino parents.

Edit-How long ago was this? You know the laws here change almost monthly, right? Also, since the BI is part of the DOJ, all they have to do is issue a memo. basically, they write a note, and it is law. it is 2019 now. Dual citizenship ended in 2003.

1 minute ago, tim_lyn_brigade said:

Pretty sure. But I am 100% sure. The I130 is a US form. It does not apply. You can still be arrested. Even with Filipino parents.

Yes I130 is a US immigration form. You mention above that you dont know that you have to sponsor her. when you petition her to be in the US it was noted that you should be able to sponsor her while she doesnt have a work? Or are u saying that you have to sponsor her while you are in the philippines?

15 minutes ago, tim_lyn_brigade said:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.