Ricardo_C

Lack of response re: Expedite request

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi, all

Back in March, I filed an I-130 for my mother, who is back in Venezuela. Mailed it in on the 23rd, it was received on the 25th, and my priority date is the 28th. As soon as I had the NOA, I called and requested expedited processing, on humanitarian grounds. I was told to expect a response within five days. None came. Thinking I'd simply asked too early, I waited till 30 days had elapsed and called again. This time I was told my request had been rejected because of a lack of evidence, but that the response had been sent to the wrong address. I told the officer that I hadn't been given a way to submit evidence, but that I would be willing to do so if I knew where to send it. He said that he would resubmit the request and that once I got a response, I would be given a number to fax documentation to. I have no idea if this is accurate, because once again, I got no response.

I called back in, verified that they had the correct mailing and email addresses, and submitted a request again. It's not been five business days, and no response. uscis.gov/tools doesn't show any data, which the officers I've spoken to tell me is an ongoing issue not related to my case.

At this point, what are my options? Do I have any chances of having this expedite request go forward? Is this something worth contacting my representative about? I'm sorry if these questions are too basic, but I hadn't run into this situation before. My own immigration and naturalization journeys were much more straightforward. Thanks in advance for any insights you might have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Timeline
On 6/2/2019 at 1:03 PM, Louis61404 said:

Did you get this expedited?

I'm sorry for the late reply, I hadn't seen the notification :(

I ended up contacting my Senator, whose staff reached out to USCIS. All they said was that the case was being processed in the order in which it was received, and that I would be contacted when action was taken. Since then, no contact from USCIS other than a letter telling me what they told the Senator's staff, and another acknowledging a change of address (I moved a couple weeks ago).

Meanwhile, my mom brought up another concern: The postal service in Venezuela has become even less reliable than usual, so when her case eventually moves to the NVC and she is sent documentation, there's every chance it won't be delivered. I'll be calling USCIS again tomorrow to see whether I can receive any future documents on her behalf, and have them delivered to her through a courier service or something. But given the way the process has moved so far, I'll probably just be told to wait till the petition is actually approved. 

Unrelated, but emblematic of my woes dealing with USCIS this time around: I logged into my old account. No real reason, just felt like it. It now shows my earliest immigration forms (green card approval from 2010 and removal of conditions approval from 2012), along with my contact information from when I first arrived in the US. My citizenship application doesn't appear anymore. I guess they weren't kidding when they told me their online tools were having issues. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you don't have to worry about your mom's address, first of all, the link will be sent to you. the process at the NVC stage is online

you will upload the documentation, all the copies are uploaded online, and the ds260 for your mom to fill is online, or you can fill it for her

the process is electronic these days, immigration is trying to go paperless, for part of it at least

4 hours ago, Ricardo_C said:

I'm sorry for the late reply, I hadn't seen the notification :(

I ended up contacting my Senator, whose staff reached out to USCIS. All they said was that the case was being processed in the order in which it was received, and that I would be contacted when action was taken. Since then, no contact from USCIS other than a letter telling me what they told the Senator's staff, and another acknowledging a change of address (I moved a couple weeks ago).

Meanwhile, my mom brought up another concern: The postal service in Venezuela has become even less reliable than usual, so when her case eventually moves to the NVC and she is sent documentation, there's every chance it won't be delivered. I'll be calling USCIS again tomorrow to see whether I can receive any future documents on her behalf, and have them delivered to her through a courier service or something. But given the way the process has moved so far, I'll probably just be told to wait till the petition is actually approved. 

Unrelated, but emblematic of my woes dealing with USCIS this time around: I logged into my old account. No real reason, just felt like it. It now shows my earliest immigration forms (green card approval from 2010 and removal of conditions approval from 2012), along with my contact information from when I first arrived in the US. My citizenship application doesn't appear anymore. I guess they weren't kidding when they told me their online tools were having issues. 

I would imagine that every intending immigrant in Venezuela is similarly attempting to expedite, and they are currently flooded with requests.

Timeline
On 7/16/2019 at 2:52 AM, aleful said:

hi

you don't have to worry about your mom's address, first of all, the link will be sent to you. the process at the NVC stage is online

you will upload the documentation, all the copies are uploaded online, and the ds260 for your mom to fill is online, or you can fill it for her

the process is electronic these days, immigration is trying to go paperless, for part of it at least

That's great to hear, it's been almost 10 years since my own immigration journey, so I wasn't sure of what had been digitized yet :) My naturalization case was fully digital, but I wasn't sure about anything else, I feel like a newbie again. Cheers!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.