John951

walk-in at any USCIS office for Emergency Advanced Parole (split topic)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife just got a call that her mom and sister were got by a car while on the scooter. From the initial report her mom has a broken leg, the sister is dizzy and wants to vomit. I've already filled for AOS, EAP,AP and have received the noa1, no RFE, and have the bio appointment in two weeks. On read on USCIS that you can apply in person at your local office, but my local office( San Bernardino CA) doesn't accept walk in or making appointments, something like that. Can I just do a walk-in into the next nearest office to me or do I need to call USCIS customer service and ask to have it expedited at the current office or are both possible but which is faster ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
23 minutes ago, John951 said:

My wife just got a call that her mom and sister were got by a car while on the scooter. From the initial report her mom has a broken leg, the sister is dizzy and wants to vomit. I've already filled for AOS, EAP,AP and have received the noa1, no RFE, and have the bio appointment in two weeks. On read on USCIS that you can apply in person at your local office, but my local office( San Bernardino CA) doesn't accept walk in or making appointments, something like that. Can I just do a walk-in into the next nearest office to me or do I need to call USCIS customer service and ask to have it expedited at the current office or are both possible but which is faster ?

I had to get an emergency advance parole when my dad passed away. You do not need to call USCIS. You just go to your local office with your case number, 2 passport photos and evidence (in this case note from their doctor) of why you need to go. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Unidentified said:

I had to get an emergency advance parole when my dad passed away. You do not need to call USCIS. You just go to your local office with your case number, 2 passport photos and evidence (in this case note from their doctor) of why you need to go. 

Was the office you went to not accepting walk-ins or infopass appointments ?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, John951 said:

Was the office you went to not accepting walk-ins or infopass appointments ?

If it's an emergency you don't need an info pass. Just walk in and explain the situation and hope for the best. 

Timeline
Just now, Unidentified said:

If it's an emergency you don't need an info pass. Just walk in and explain the situation and hope for the best. 

Yeah we going to try that, thanks.

How long after that do they issue you the AP? Same day? Two weeks?

Timeline
Just now, John951 said:

Yeah we going to try that, thanks.

How long after that do they issue you the AP? Same day? Two weeks?

If approved you'll get it while you're there. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Posts split into separate thread as poster is asking about their own situation and not replying to the OP of the other thread; please start your own thread with your own questions instead of hijacking threads started by other members.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Update:

The San Bernardino office does not accept walk in's. They have armed security gaurds with names on a checklist of who to let in. We had to call USCIS to request emergency AP, after the call they have someone from the field office call with in 2-3 business days and that person gave us a next day appointment.

They required new ap paperwork,photos, the whole gambit.

Timeline
20 hours ago, John951 said:

Update:

The San Bernardino office does not accept walk in's. They have armed security gaurds with names on a checklist of who to let in. We had to call USCIS to request emergency AP, after the call they have someone from the field office call with in 2-3 business days and that person gave us a next day appointment.

They required new ap paperwork,photos, the whole gambit.

All offices have armed security guards with names on a checklist. Did you tell them it was an emergency? 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

All offices have armed security guards with names on a checklist. Did you tell them it was an emergency? 

I didn't bother going there and telling them there was an emergency. The USCIS website for that office even says of you have an emergency to call the 800 number.

It's a moot point now anyways. They denied our request.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, John951 said:

I didn't bother going there and telling them there was an emergency. The USCIS website for that office even says of you have an emergency to call the 800 number.

It's a moot point now anyways. They denied our request.

Okay well if you ever need one in the future or if someone else reading this needs one: You can always drop in at the local office and explain that it is an emergency, you should not have to wait 2-3 days if it is really an emergency. Broken leg, probably not so much. But if someone is dying, just go to the local office. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Okay well if you ever need one in the future or if someone else reading this needs one: You can always drop in at the local office and explain that it is an emergency, you should not have to wait 2-3 days if it is really an emergency. Broken leg, probably not so much. But if someone is dying, just go to the local office. 

True.

I would say our situation falls more in the expedited request for severe financial loss and humanitarian reasons, but the supervisor hinted that she would deny that request also unless we had a doctor's note specifically asking for my wife to go. Seems like a high bar at this office, especially when I here other people getting AP due to wedding plans.

C'est la vie

Timeline
12 minutes ago, John951 said:

True.

I would say our situation falls more in the expedited request for severe financial loss and humanitarian reasons, but the supervisor hinted that she would deny that request also unless we had a doctor's note specifically asking for my wife to go. Seems like a high bar at this office, especially when I here other people getting AP due to wedding plans.

C'est la vie

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous that people get Emergency AP because they didn't do their research and made wedding plans they would never make. I had to bring a document from my dad's doctor explaining that he was dying. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.