eloel

Resigning before the F1 Visa Interview

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

So I have completed my DS-160 and scheduled a visa appointment. While filling the DS-160 form, I gave my current employment details in the "Present Work/Education/Training" section. But since then, I have given my resignation and I would not be employed at the time of my interview date.

I was wondering should I create a new DS-160 application updating this section to 'NOT EMPLOYED' or is it enough to show my experience/resignation letter if the question regarding my current employment ( that is there in my current DS-160 form) status arises during the time of the interview.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, eloel said:

Hi,

So I have completed my DS-160 and scheduled a visa appointment. While filling the DS-160 form, I gave my current employment details in the "Present Work/Education/Training" section. But since then, I have given my resignation and I would not be employed at the time of my interview date.

I was wondering should I create a new DS-160 application updating this section to 'NOT EMPLOYED' or is it enough to show my experience/resignation letter if the question regarding my current employment ( that is there in my current DS-160 form) status arises during the time of the interview.

Thanks!

I would, like most recommend not resigning as people have sat in administrative processing for an F-1 for months and months. but as to redoing or changing the DS-160, not sure if you should make a new one or not.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had a similar issue yesterday - the embassy here in the UK says if it's biographical, and not security or background check related, just correct it at the embassy at time of interview. 

If you provide your country things could be easier to answer.

Here is the response from the UK, and i know Manilla also allow corrections to be made at time of interview.

If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number.  Please contact us through our website as we will be required to unlock your case before you can amend the information.  If the error is in the biographic details, you may notify the consular officer on the day of your interview and take no further action.

I know this says DS-260, but they are both visa related, and the information is almost always interchangeable. 

edit: I see you are in India - following your embassy's website in New Delhi goes through to the following URL

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/forms/ds-160-online-nonimmigrant-visa-application/ds-160-faqs.html

Edited by brandonflude1

5 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

I had a similar issue yesterday - the embassy here in the UK says if it's biographical, and not security or background check related, just correct it at the embassy at time of interview. 

If you provide your country things could be easier to answer.

Here is the response from the UK, and i know Manilla also allow corrections to be made at time of interview.

I know this says DS-260, but they are both visa related, and the information is almost always interchangeable. 

India.

23 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

I would, like most recommend not resigning as people have sat in administrative processing for an F-1 for months and months. but as to redoing or changing the DS-160, not sure if you should make a new one or not.

Hmm. I've heard cases where someone had resigned before their interview and still got their visa approved but I don't know about how they filled their DS-160. Alternatively, I could extend my notice period at my current company so that it covers the visa interview date as well and go with my current DS-160 itself. (Though I'm not sure if my employer would agree to that)

Timeline
4 minutes ago, eloel said:

Hmm. I've heard cases where someone had resigned before their interview and still got their visa approved but I don't know about how they filled their DS-160. Alternatively, I could extend my notice period at my current company so that it covers the visa interview date as well and go with my current DS-160 itself. (Though I'm not sure if my employer would agree to that)

I would try staying on board there until you had visa in hand. It's always recommended for any visa type honestly as nothing is guaranteed.A few people on here recently were like 3-4 months in AP I believe.. don't know if they ever followed up with any more info since then.... An interview and subsequent administrative processing can last awhile sometimes or even result in denials. That's why we always suggest remain at your work just in case, unless of course you can manage financially without it, then that's up to you obviously. It's more a precautionary warning and advice to people going for any visa.

Edited by Ben&Zian

02/03/2017 - Married 

3 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

I would try staying on board there until you had visa in hand. It's always recommended for any visa type honestly as nothing is guaranteed.A few people on here recently were like 3-4 months in AP I believe.. don't know if they ever followed up with any more info since then.... An interview and subsequent administrative processing can last awhile sometimes or even result in denials. That's why we always suggest remain at your work just in case, unless of course you can manage financially without it, then that's up to you obviously. It's more a precautionary warning and advice to people going for any visa.

Financially it wouldn't be a problem for me. But the AP thing definitely scares me.

Thanks for your help. I have decided to talk to my manager tomorrow to extend my notice period. Hopefully, he agrees to it. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, eloel said:

Financially it wouldn't be a problem for me. But the AP thing definitely scares me.

Thanks for your help. I have decided to talk to my manager tomorrow to extend my notice period. Hopefully, he agrees to it. 

Everyone does go through AP though, so don't freak when you see that status at some point. But some last a few days, a few weeks, and so on. Some sit for years... so yeah not wanting to scare you but just not put yourself in jeopardy because of something not forseen happening.

02/03/2017 - Married 

The ds160 once submitted cannot be amended. 

Was the resignation from the job voluntary, or forced? There are no guarantees a friend's approval in similar circumstances would lead to OP's approval. No two cases are alike. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Just now, WeGuyGal said:

The ds160 once submitted cannot be amended. 

Was the resignation from the job voluntary, or forced? There are no guarantees a friend's approval in similar circumstances would lead to OP's approval. No two cases are alike. 

I was talking about creating a new DS-160 itself and updating the new application number in my ustraveldocs account.

It was voluntary.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

My visa application was approved.  😁

In the end, I extended my notice period to cover the interview date as well so that I could go ahead with the same DS-160 application. The interview process itself was quite straightforward and was completed in 2 mins.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

On 6/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, eloel said:

Hello everyone,

My visa application was approved.  😁

In the end, I extended my notice period to cover the interview date as well so that I could go ahead with the same DS-160 application. The interview process itself was quite straightforward and was completed in 2 mins.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

My friend mailed ustraveldocs for help he needed regarding his application and just got this response..  I think it'll help others who are in a similar situation looking for a definitive answer.

We would like to inform you that, the information on the DS-160 application form should be current and accurate. If you wish to correct and/or update some information, you can select “Retrieve an Application” option at https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Default.aspx, enter the previous visa application ID, answer the security questions and then click on “Create a New Application”. The applicant's personal information will then populate in the new application. In the new form update the information and proceed further.

Please note that, if you are unable to retrieve the DS-160 application form, we request you to disregard the old one and create a new form. You can access the DS-160 form in the website https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/. Additionally, follow the link: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/forms/ds-160-online-nonimmigrant-visa-application/ds-160-faqs.html for queries related to DS-160.

If the applicants have filled a new DS-160 form post scheduling the appointments, they are required to carry both the old and the new DS-160 confirmation pages at the time of the biometrics appointment.

• 2 years later...
On 5/14/2019 at 1:49 AM, Ben&Zian said:

i have mistaken ds160 .i didn't mansion last five years work experience .visa officer ask me what are you doing last five years .i didn't answer .now can i show work new ds 160 .it will be problem 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

old thread locked - should one have questions on the subject, please start a new thread.

charles

vj moderation

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.