Moofy

Traveling with Phillipines Passport (soon to expire) and US Green Card

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

Have you considered renewing her passport from the US?   We did ours from Mexico City and Mary had her new one in about 2 weeks.

I think we are going to do that - just take the trip, come back and renew. I believe we'll end up going to the Vancouver BC embassy to do it since we're in Bellingham. My understanding is we can't "mail" it anywhere. The closest embassy in the US to us is the Bay Area, but I don't want to have to pay hundreds of dollars just to fly there to renew a passport.

So I think Vancouver is our best option.

06.12.2016 | Met Online
06.25.2016 | Flew to Philippines to meet
07.04.2016 | Returned home
07.15.2016 | Submitted K-1 to USCIS
09.01.2016 | Submission Approved
10.02.2016 | Manila Case Assigned
10.06.2016 | Interview assigned (10.25.2016)
10.13.2016 | Medical (Passed)
10.25.2016 | Interview | 221(g) requiring chat logs & remittance
10.27.2016 | 221(g) materials delivered
10.27.2016 | CFO Class Taken
11.22.2016 | K-1 Visa Approved
11.23.2016 | K-1 Visa Issued
11.24.2016 | Visa in hand
11.25.2016 | Flight to SFO | Approved Entry
02.12.2017 | MARRIED!
08.15.2017 | 2 year Green Card approved!

Everything is Fantastic!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Moofy said:

Thank you to everyone for your feedback.

Thank you Hank - so the question is will she encounter an issue coming back to the US (since her passport expires in less than 6 months) even though she has a valid Green Card? I would assume not.

I'm shocked how much confusion there is around all of this - in my day, things were fine until expired. Now it seems they've created all the rules no rational person could know about without discussions like this. Crazy - and unnecessary. :(

Assuming is such a bad thing ;)      Just the same, I am with you in the thinking that because of the green card she will not have an issue, but some airlines can get very picky.

I would err on the side of caution.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

How about NO passport!!??    Do read the last paragraph, 2nd sentence just for S & Gs .    So th short answer is .. YES your wife can travel back to the USA will less than 6 months of validity on her passport.

And I will include links to official government website

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/~/traveling-outside-us---documents-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

What documents, identification, and paperwork does a Lawful Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) Green Card holder need to travel internationally?

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card", Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States.

United States (U.S.) LPRs do not need a passport to enter the U.S. as per 8 CFR 211.1(a), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements.

While CBP does not require the passport as noted above, the airlines may have their own requirements, please check with your airlines prior to travel. Also, travel documents for LPRs do not need to be valid for any certain amount of time. Your LPR card only needs to be valid on the day that you are entering the US.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

How about NO passport!!??   

Nobody  has ever suggested to travel with NO PASSPORT.  The entire discussion has been about 6 month validity or not.

YMMV

7 hours ago, payxibka said:

Nobody  has ever suggested to travel with NO PASSPORT.  The entire discussion has been about 6 month validity or not.

I think the confusion--at least as I read the thread--is whether DFA would take her current passport when she applies for the new one. Some indicate that they will, some indicate they won't. However, if DFA does keep it, then she is left with no passport and I imagine that would be a bad thing ;)

OP: I would suggest a visit to Vancouver after she returns. I don't mean to open another can of worms, but what does she need in order to enter Canada to visit the embassy there?

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

I travelled to another country (Canada) with my passport expiring in 2 months, no problem coming back... the officer  at the airport (in US) told me I should come back before it expires... Going back to US, again no issue, they just checked if it’s still valid.

i just renewed my passport and they took mine. I explained to them that I needed it but they told me they can’t release my passport if I don’t give it back...Well I did and they sent it back along with the new one.

when my friend renewed it, they never took hers. I guess it will depend on the officer renewing your passport

Edited by anikkandtim

21 minutes ago, anikkandtim said:

I travelled to another country (Canada) with my passport expiring in 2 months, no problem coming back... the officer  at the airport (in US) told me I should come back before it expires... Going back to US, again no issue, they just checked if it’s still valid.

i just renewed my passport and they took mine. I explained to them that I needed it but they told me they can’t release my passport if I don’t give it back...Well I did and they sent it back along with the new one.

when my friend renewed it, they never took hers. I guess it will depend on the officer renewing your passport

Thanks for the info!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Timeline

Traveling to Canada is not an issue with the Philippines passport as long as the person has their Green Card.   With just the Philippine passport a visa would be needed.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, Moofy said:

Her passport isn't expired; it expires in July. But she won't have time to wait for the new one during her trip (she's actually in PH only 11-12 days and can't get an appt until the middle of her trip). So the question is can she get her new passport and travel back to the US on her old one while we wait for them to ship the new one to our address here in the US?

Or does she just forego the entire passport thing and we take a trip to Vancouver when she returns? (the closest embassy)

When she renews her passport, the only way for the 'old' passport to stil be used while waiting for the new one is if choose to PICK up the new passport in person at DFA. If she chooses 'delivery' they will punch 2 holes on the passport, nullifying it.

So if she can still travel back to US on her July 2019 expiring passport better she dont renew her passport anymore if she cant wait for the new one to be issued and just renew it at the closest consulate when she return.

14 hours ago, I and G said:

When she renews her passport, the only way for the 'old' passport to stil be used while waiting for the new one is if choose to PICK up the new passport in person at DFA. If she chooses 'delivery' they will punch 2 holes on the passport, nullifying it.

This is the most logical answer but not what happened to Mary.  She applied at the Embassy in Mexico City and she kept the old passport and the new one was delivered.   The old, unexpired one, was not punched.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
1 hour ago, Paul & Mary said:

This is the most logical answer but not what happened to Mary.  She applied at the Embassy in Mexico City and she kept the old passport and the new one was delivered.   The old, unexpired one, was not punched.

That is different.  Consulate in LA took the old passport, returning it with the new passport .. hole punched.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 5/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, Stevephoto said:

I don't mean to open another can of worms, but what does she need in order to enter Canada to visit the embassy there?

Not an issue: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

If you fly to or transit through a Canadian airport

You need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). You don’t need a visitor visa.

An eTA:

• costs $7 CAN
  • is electronically linked to your passport

Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you’re asked to submit supporting documents.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/apply.html

If you drive a car or arrive by train, bus or boat

You don’t need an eTA, but you need to bring the right travel documents. You don’t need a visitor visa either.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

I assume OP would travel by land (or water).

Timeline
5 hours ago, treppenwitz said:

Not an issue: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

I assume OP would travel by land (or water).

OP has a green card .. nothing special is needed, to enter Canada.     Passport + green card ... have a nice day.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

6 hours ago, Hank_ said:

OP has a green card .. nothing special is needed, to enter Canada.     Passport + green card ... have a nice day.

Yes, since its a ~80 minute drive from OP's city to Vancouver, BC, odds are they'll drive. Thus, only a Passport + green card needed.

Let's say they lived in Portland, OR instead. An 80 minute flight and 5.5 hour drive are the top options. If they choose to fly-in then an eTA is also required: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp [Answer the following]

What document are you travelling with?

passport

Select the country code that matches the one on your passport.

PHL (Philippines)

Are you a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and have an alien registration card (Green Card)?

Yes

You may need an eTA, depending on how you travel to Canada

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.