Isabel&Will

K1 Visa 1-134 Cosponsor?

8 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hey guys, so we're in the final stretch of the K1 visa process, just waiting for June interview slots to open up. When I was going over my Packet 3, I noticed that the I-134 evidence requirements had been updated, and I recall reading somewhere that the new form is required for a date sometime mid-May 2019 onwards, which would definitely apply to us.

My fiance (the petitioner) is in the military and his pay grade meets the requirements, however the new evidence requires information about his bank accounts in addition to the statement from his employer on business letterhead about his salary, date, and nature of his employment. To be frank, my fiance does not really have much in the way of savings to show, so we would mainly have to rely on them being ok with the letterhead. We should theoretically be fine because his income is high enough and the military provides the Basic Housing Allowance and Basic Allowance for Subsistence which would cover our food and housing, but I don't know if the consulate necessarily takes those into account, and if they do, how exactly we would be able to provide evidence of those services?

I remember from all my research back at the start of this process that a cosponsor could fill out an I-864 for me to bring to the interview, and that I could potentially use this if the consulate decides that the I-134 evidence is insufficient. I'd like to have this ready just in case. However, I'm not sure if this is actually still possible or even accurate. Would anyone be able to provide any information, especially first-hand experience with the Montreal consulate?

Edited by Isabel&Will
Wrong I-form number

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Hi :) I am sure someone more capable will come back to you but just how we are doing it (we are waiting for the interview date right now). My fiancé is also military that is why it peaked my interest!

We have:

• I-134
  • his tax return (I read on here that is one of the most important supporting evidence) and as military I am sure he has one from this year
  • letter from his employer - just have him to ask his CO to write him one
  • banks statements
  • earnings statement (also getting from military)

As my understanding - the most important are I-134 and tax return. If he is meeting the requirements, it should be fine. The letter from his CO could be also sufficient.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there, I am using a co sponsor as well and my interview will be on the 22nd may and this is what I plan to bring to my interview. My co sponsor is *not* in the military but makes well above the poverty guideline.

1) Tax transcripts from 2016, 2017, 2018.

2) W-2's for 2016, 2017, 2018

3) Pay Stubs from January 2019 - April 20, 2019

Also has $180K ish in the bank but didn't bother printing out statements since the tax transcripts are way above the poverty guideline I didn't feel it was necessary.

__

After asking many people, and research many hours I found that Montreal does accept co-sponsors. Their main goal is to be sure you won't become a public charge and use government assistance when you go to USA. I never heard of them "requesting" bank statements, I would only provide it if you don't make over the $21K they would slash your savings in 3 so if you had 6000 in savings then they would see it as 2000. So lets say you had $19K of income and $6000 in savings they'd see it as $21000 total.

Edited by purem4g1c

Timeline
3 hours ago, Eva_AJ said:

Hi :) I am sure someone more capable will come back to you but just how we are doing it (we are waiting for the interview date right now). My fiancé is also military that is why it peaked my interest!

We have:

• I-134
  • his tax return (I read on here that is one of the most important supporting evidence) and as military I am sure he has one from this year
  • letter from his employer - just have him to ask his CO to write him one
  • banks statements
  • earnings statement (also getting from military)

As my understanding - the most important are I-134 and tax return. If he is meeting the requirements, it should be fine. The letter from his CO could be also sufficient.

Good luck!

Thank you! Yes this is likely what we will be doing as well

I-134 isnt legally binding anyhow.  Your husband being in the military means 100% the poverty guidelines vs the traditional 125%. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
7 hours ago, NikLR said:

I-134 isnt legally binding anyhow.  Your husband being in the military means 100% the poverty guidelines vs the traditional 125%. 

Thank you, I hope that is still the case for this version of the form. I feel like we'll be ok but I want to be as sure as possible since there's no going back once I'm at the interview unless they allow for more evidence to be submitted RFE style

Edited by Isabel&Will

After interview if they want a co-sponsor they will give a 221g for one.  It isnt a flat out denial. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

After interview if they want a co-sponsor they will give a 221g for one.  It isnt a flat out denial. 

Ah I see, I remember reading about people receiving a 221g, but I couldn't remember what it was called or if it could apply to this. I suppose it would still be best to try and avoid that though, due to the delay it would cause

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.