AmyOlivia

London Embassy: The Interview

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AmyOlivia said:

My life has been on hold since we decided to pursue this Visa, and now it finally feels like it's in the 'Play' position again!

This ^ x 100. We decided to apply for a K1 in December 2017, but had to wait for a 2 year divorce to complete 😫 - so I’ve had my life on hold since then (career-wise, home-wise, even down to the things I buy)...can’t wait to hit the play button again! 

Huge congratulations to you! 

Congratulations!!!! 🎉

I have been in your exact position, but i read your words & imagined every moment in my head; very clearly written & pictured

I honestly would advise NOT to book flights until your visa in physically in your hand, you will go into Administrative processing (which is normal for everyone) but you don't know how long it will be, could be a few days, to weeks, to months (not trying to worry/scare/upset you, just giving advice which i had when i was at the point your currently at)

My timeline gives a clear outline from interview date to visa in hand if you want a rough estimate!

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

23 minutes ago, Meisha&Jake said:

Congratulations!!!! 🎉

I have been in your exact position, but i read your words & imagined every moment in my head; very clearly written & pictured

I honestly would advise NOT to book flights until your visa in physically in your hand, you will go into Administrative processing (which is normal for everyone) but you don't know how long it will be, could be a few days, to weeks, to months (not trying to worry/scare/upset you, just giving advice which i had when i was at the point your currently at)

My timeline gives a clear outline from interview date to visa in hand if you want a rough estimate!

Thank you so much! ❤️

I understand; the general consensus is that the Visa documents and such will be back within the 10-14 working day marker, but yes, I absolutely don't want to book something and not get it in time!

I did mention to the interview that we plan on getting married in May, so I hope that this can influence the processing in some positive manner.

I'll keep an eye on our case status and wait eagerly for word as it comes! Fingers crossed!!

3 minutes ago, AmyOlivia said:

Thank you so much! ❤️

I understand; the general consensus is that the Visa documents and such will be back within the 10-14 working day marker, but yes, I absolutely don't want to book something and not get it in time!

I did mention to the interview that we plan on getting married in May, so I hope that this can influence the processing in some positive manner.

I'll keep an eye on our case status and wait eagerly for word as it comes! Fingers crossed!!

It took 8 working days from Interview to visa in hand for me

I dont think you will have an issue atall getting there & Married in May, just hold tight on booking the flights for now!

Spoiler

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

29-June-2018 - Medical

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

CONGRATS!!!! Happy for you :D They asked you so many questions, is that normal? Are they tougher on young people, or what? XD 

My interview is 7th May and I'm a bit nervous haha. Hope it goes as well as yours. I wonder if there's been any denials, I haven't seen anyone post about it so I take it as a no, so that's reassuring 

do you think thats a lot of questions ? seems about typical to me, and should be easy to answer for any genuine relationship. I think the only reason she was asked about the future sister in law is because she is co-sponsor. If i had those questions id be delighted !

Edited by skjourney

On 4/18/2019 at 8:41 PM, AmyOlivia said:

As I sit here now, three days after the fact, I still can't believe that after months of paperwork, waiting and more waiting, my Visa has been approved!!

Obviously, I'm elated and happy beyond belief and wanted to share my experience with you all for a few reasons. Primarily, just to let anybody in a similar situation to mine read over my experience and the like. But I also want to generally share in my excitement with people who truly understand the frustrations of this process, and start some small celebrations while I wait for my Visa itself to arrive!

---

(The following was written in my notebook on the train home from the interview, so I apologise for any poor wording, etc. I'll be editing my terrible written grammar when typing it up here, but won't be making any more substantial edits beyond that. As a writer by trade, I felt it necessary to explain this before jumping in...!)

---

The Day Before...

Finances permitting, I would absolutely recommend for everybody to stay overnight before your appointment. Even though I barely slept, the principal of being close-by was soothing; especially since I actually live in the East Midlands, so travelling to London isn't exactly a quick trip for me!

The hotel that I stayed in was the London King's Cross Royal Scot, an older hotel not too far from Kings Cross Railway station, and it included a full, unlimited breakfast (yum!!). I brought along my best friend of many years (twenty, to be exact...!) to be my moral support and travelling companion, and we both appreciated the large breadth of good food to start our day!

The Big Day!

We made sure to hop on the tube after peak times, and made the necessary changes to the Victoria line before hopping off at Vauxhall. I'd absolutely insist that you take Exit 1, as outlined in the interview guidelines, because the walk along the Thames is absolutely breathtaking if the weather is nice. I was very lucky to experience a sunny, temperate day in London on the 15th.

Not only was it stunningly beautiful, but it allowed me plenty of time to try and calm down. I obviously wasn't 'calm' by any description when arriving at the Embassy, but every little helped when it came to soothing the frayed bundles that I call nerves.

Anyway, back to the scenic walk! You really can't miss the Embassy on this route, thanks to its outside facade. I sat outside for a while with my friend in the sunshine, happy that I chose the 11:30am slot and not having to wrestle with commuters. Because I started to get anxious, I approached the outside Visa desk too early, and was sent away to return at 11:10am. Hold your nerve and head up to get your documents checked later rather than sooner; you'll get sent straight on through to security regardless.

All I needed at the outside desk was my appointment confirmation/ instructions email and my passport. I fumbled about with my DS-160 for no reason! Have it ready just in case, but I was never asked by anybody to see that piece of paperwork.

After another check at the desk at 11:10 this time, I was sent up to the security entrance where a security guard checked the same paperwork as stated above, and sealed the deal with a high-five and fist-bump to wish me luck. One thing I'll say with absolute certainty is that the staff you encounter when going through with the interview process is absolutely critical, and this interaction was such a relief to experience. Glimmers of humanity!

I benefited from leaving my luggage with my best friend, because I was through security in less than a minute. I only took my phone, coat and documents, and I'd absolutely recommend travelling as light as possible. Less to faff around with is always better.

Once inside, I queued like a good Brit, and was soon met with the Embassy staff asking for anybody doing immigration Visas. In spite of the K Visa technically being of the non-immigrant variety, you absolutely fit into the immigrant category. The guy checked my confirmation email and ushered me up to the desk, before checking me off the list and sticking some tickets on my print-out. He told me to go up to Level 1, turn left and left again; insisting that I don't follow any other instructions. I was confused by this insistence of his until I reached Level 1 and Embassy staff tried to direct me over to the non-immigrant side. If not for this initial point of contact I had, I would have likely slipped over to the non-immigrant side without a second thought.

And so, I did just as I was told; turned left, and then left again. I found myself in a smaller, somewhat secluded waiting area for immigrant visa interviews and had barely sat down before my ticket number flashed up on the screen (the ticket will be stuck to your confirmation print-out when heading inside). What followed was the document collection portion of the appointment, and I nearly had a heart attack.

The man who saw me was very pleasant and I chatted with him for a while before we got down to business. Then, my organisation started to pay off. He asked for my confirmation email/ instructions sheet, followed by my passport and birth certificate. He specifically wanted the original, even though I had taken photocopies just in case. Then he asked if I had been married before (no), adopted (no) or if I had lived anywhere else since turning 16. This led into him asking for my original ACRO, the police certificate. I had all of this information paperclipped in corresponding order within my document wallet, so I was quick with giving him whatever he needed, and I was starting to feel pretty great about the whole process.

But then came my worst fear: the Affidavit of Support, that dreaded form I-134.

This document has been the bane of my existence from the start of this year. My fiance was in the midst of changing careers this year, with an income $100 below the requirement last tax year. As such, we turned to his sister to be our support because of her high income, long history with her employer, and close proximity to our address. After much agonising, back and forth and contradictory information as to whether we'd need Affidavits from both the sponsor and fiance, I had it all compiled. The general consensus within the VJ community was that London weren't bothered by who the sponsor was, as long as the income requirement was met and evidence provided.

The minute I handed over the documents, however, the previously cheery, talkative man frowned.

"We still ask for an Affidavit from your fiance."

What?! I started to panic and barely held myself together, calmly explaining our decision and the circumstances around it. My fiance didn't earn enough last year due to a fluctuating retail job, his new job is less than a month old... etc. The document collector became quite stern and said that the interview officer would review it all and decide what needed to be done, which, as you can imagine, wasn't a lot of reassurance.

I honestly couldn't breathe. He took copies of my Visa photographs (I took four 2x2 images) and then told me to take a seat.

Never has a wait felt so long.

It probably wasn't much longer than 15 minutes, however, and my turn came. I positively bolted up, said a few prayers, and went to meet my interviewer. She was a nice, softly-spoken American lady. I could feel that she was quite stern as she politely asked me to raise my right hand and take the oath, but the questions she asked were conversational and easy. These questions are as follows:

"Have you had any previous US Visas?"
"Have you overstayed any of them?"
"When did you meet your fiance? How did you meet? How long have you been together?"
"How often have you seen your fiance since getting together?"
"What does your fiance do?"
"What does your future sister-in-law do?"
"What do you plan to do for a career in the United States?"

As always when I'm nervous, I felt like I babbled a little too much, but I was honest and kept a semblance of cool. I'm not honestly sure what brought the approval specifically, but I sensed a somewhat positive reaction when I explained how long my fiance and I have been together, with specific recollection of long visitations with one another, and my chosen career path as a Teacher.

So, even though the document collector scared me half to death, my app was approved rather swiftly. I probably only stood in the booth/ window for less than five minutes!

I almost burst into tears of joy on the spot, thanked the interviewer a thousand times, and practically skipped out of the Embassy! Now I need to wait for the arrival of my passport and the famed BBE, big brown envelope, and I'm US-bound!

Even though it didn't end up mattering or delaying my approval, I would recommend that those of you with a sponsor also get your fiance to fill out an Affidavit. It'll save you a lot of stress and anxiety after getting an ominous reception from the document collector, that's for sure!!

---

Thank you all for reading my ramblings, and for helping with all of my previous questions along the way! This approval is a huge weight off my chest, and now I can't wait to get myself out to the States. My life has been on hold since we decided to pursue this Visa, and now it finally feels like it's in the 'Play' position again!

In peoples' experiences, how long does it take for the documents to arrive with you? I have paid for courier delivery to my home, so I'm unsure if that will speed up the delivery once everything is processed (which I know takes between 7 to 10 working days... curse you, bank holidays!!).

I know that it isn't recommended to book a flight until you HAVE the documents, but flights are already looking expensive right now. I want to safely book a flight which will ensure the arrival of my documents in time, and won't bankrupt me for a one-way trip, so it's a difficult balance to strike. My absolute ideal would be for me to jet off as soon as possible; I've been away from my fiance for too darn long as it is!!

First and foremost, congratulations!!  

It is good to know that some of them like to see an affidavit from the fiancee also! 

Absolutely your life is back in play mode, maybe a little slow-mo until the visa is in hand but then it skips straight to fast-forward. 

With regards to the visa being returned to you, I had my interview at 9:30am on the Monday 11th and my visa was ready to collect  the evening ofThursday 14th (I didn't realise it was open until 8pm or I'd have gone and gotten it Thursday), I collected it Friday morning!

I have to admit, I broke the cardinal rule. I got approved on the 11th and on the 12th slammed my notice down on the directors desk with an audible "I GOT APPROVED!" and that was that, I booked my flights the next day I believe. But again, I advise against it lol but excitement completely beat down my logic. 

There should be some sales these coming weeks (depending when you want to fly). Also with regards to a one way, just book a return as far in the future as you can (I think my return leg is at the end of January 2020 and that alone saved me £1,000 on the cost of a one way).

Edited by LukeU

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

14 hours ago, VanillaCats said:

CONGRATS!!!! Happy for you :D They asked you so many questions, is that normal? Are they tougher on young people, or what? XD 

My interview is 7th May and I'm a bit nervous haha. Hope it goes as well as yours. I wonder if there's been any denials, I haven't seen anyone post about it so I take it as a no, so that's reassuring 

If the OP's interview was anything like mine although on 'paper' it seems a lot of questions. It's really only a few because from my experience the interview is more like a flowing conversation. Imagine a nosy dinner lady, "Oh and how did you meet?" "What do they do?" "Oooo cool, how long have they done it for?" "You say they live where? Oh okay, how long for?" 

It's more one leads into another and I can't stress it enough. I mean I'm not saying imagine the interviewer wearing a hair net but it may help...  😉

Summary:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring a relative inside the embassy with us? Or do they have to wait outside? I obviously don’t expect them to come up to the interview window but is there a waiting area they can wait in?

13 hours ago, skjourney said:

do you think thats a lot of questions ? seems about typical to me, and should be easy to answer for any genuine relationship. I think the only reason she was asked about the future sister in law is because she is co-sponsor. If i had those questions id be delighted !

True. Good luck for your interview this week! Let us know how it goes! :D 

6 hours ago, VanillaCats said:

Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring a relative inside the embassy with us? Or do they have to wait outside? I obviously don’t expect them to come up to the interview window but is there a waiting area they can wait in?

I believe there's a form on the website you can complete to request it, but I don't know if that is purely for US Citizens to go in with you.

I didn't see any waiting area as such, other than the one with the booths in for you to have the interview. Everyone seemed to be in there alone or just had their younger children with them. 

Summary:

7 hours ago, VanillaCats said:

23 minutes ago, LukeU said:

I believe there's a form on the website you can complete to request it, but I don't know if that is purely for US Citizens to go in with you.

I didn't see any waiting area as such, other than the one with the booths in for you to have the interview. Everyone seemed to be in there alone or just had their younger children with them. 

Cant bring a relative in unless its the fiancé/spouse  (you have to contact embassy beforehand to let them know you want your fiancé/spouse to attend)

My mum came with me on the day & sat outside by the fountain, she also went to Waitrose for a coffee whilst she waited :)

Spoiler

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

29-June-2018 - Medical

Spoiler

Just now, Meisha&Jake said:

Cant bring a relative in unless its the fiancé/spouse  (you have to contact embassy beforehand to let them know you want your fiancé/spouse to attend)

My mum came with me on the day & sat outside by the fountain, she also went to Waitrose for a coffee whilst she waited :)

Thank you :) Thought I'd seen somewhere that someone's relative had but didn't know if it was partner or not :)

Especially in the coming week or so it'd be lovely to take someone as the weather is meant to be absolutely lovely and it's a gorgeous area 

Summary:

1 minute ago, LukeU said:

Thank you :) Thought I'd seen somewhere that someone's relative had but didn't know if it was partner or not :)

Especially in the coming week or so it'd be lovely to take someone as the weather is meant to be absolutely lovely and it's a gorgeous area 

Np!

Oh yessss, my mum's been telling me on the phone how they've had a scorcher back home, very nice for April :energy:

Spoiler

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

29-June-2018 - Medical

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.