Edward Becnel

How long between Medical Exam and Scheduling Visa Interview in Manila

17 posts in this topic

I need to schedule my fiance's visa appointment in Manila but I have to make sure her medical exam has been cleared and the results reported to the US embassy in Manila. What is the maximum number of days it will take between the time the medical exam is performed and the time the results will be reported to the embassy? I am asking because I want to make sure that the date we pick for her interview isn't too early (we want to be sure that by the time she goes to the interview that the medical exam has arrived at the embassy).

Edited by Edward Becnel

I may be mistaken. It appears that the medical exam results are given to the visa applicant by the doctor when the exam is completed. I just read this at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL_Manila.html#medical_exam_instructions
But I still  want to make sure that I can schedule my fiance's interview immediately following the exam (such as a day or two after the exam). It seems like it would be best to pick a date for the interview and have my fiance attempt to get her medical exam perhaps 2 days prior to the interview just to make sure she gets in for the medical exam as I understand that there is a long line to get in for the medical exam (it's best for the visa applicant to arrive at St Luke's hospital at 2am because it opens at 4am just to make sure she can get in for her exam).

Edited by Edward Becnel

*~*~*country-specific question moved to Philippines regional forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Edward Becnel said:

I need to schedule my fiance's visa appointment in Manila but I have to make sure her medical exam has been cleared and the results reported to the US embassy in Manila. What is the maximum number of days it will take between the time the medical exam is performed and the time the results will be reported to the embassy? I am asking because I want to make sure that the date we pick for her interview isn't too early (we want to be sure that by the time she goes to the interview that the medical exam has arrived at the embassy).

Exam is a two day affair (assume everything is clear) with results provided on day two to hand carry to the interview 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Edward Becnel said:

I may be mistaken. It appears that the medical exam results are given to the visa applicant by the doctor when the exam is completed. I just read this at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL_Manila.html#medical_exam_instructions
But I still  want to make sure that I can schedule my fiance's interview immediately following the exam (such as a day or two after the exam). It seems like it would be best to pick a date for the interview and have my fiance attempt to get her medical exam perhaps 2 days prior to the interview just to make sure she gets in for the medical exam as I understand that there is a long line to get in for the medical exam (it's best for the visa applicant to arrive at St Luke's hospital at 2am because it opens at 4am just to make sure she can get in for her exam).

No issue with scheduling the interview a couple days after the medical, if all is clear vaccinations will be given on day 2 and she will hand carry the medical file to the interview.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Absolutely no reason to arrive at SLEC AT 4AM let alone 2AM ...    Arrive later at SLEC (8-9-10 AM) and the "overnight" crowd has cleared saves a lot of waiting in line and you will still EASILY be done with day one.   

http://www.slec.ph/us-visa-applicants.shtml#clinic-hours

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/medical---slec.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

My wife arrived at 10:30am and was done by 2pm the first day.  Absolutely no reason to get in line before they open 

YMMV

Timeline

I would lean toward two days after the medical, just in case of any hiccups.    Reason being the embassy requires any cancellation to be 24 hrs (or greater) before the interview, if you have an issue and can't cancel in time is when the embassy can get cranky ..  you won't be able to reschedule until the embassy resets the status.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 3:18 AM, payxibka said:

My wife arrived at 10:30am and was done by 2pm the first day.  Absolutely no reason to get in line before they open 

It really depends. When my wife went, there was a backlog of people due to them having run out of vaccines before. First day was from 6 am until 3 pm. 2nd day was 8 am until 10 pm. If you are doing a tight schedule on the interview, showing up early may well be a good thing in case something like this happens. I understand this is not the norm, but if you have spent any real time in the Philippines. You start to understand why the Filipinos stand in lines.

Timeline

Vaccines are administered on day 2,  which doesn't affect day 1 medical process.   Showing up at 0' dark-thirty is a waste of time, unless you like standing in lines.  

Day 2 they give you an appointed time to return.  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
7 hours ago, George & Richelle said:

It really depends. When my wife went, there was a backlog of people due to them having run out of vaccines before. First day was from 6 am until 3 pm. 2nd day was 8 am until 10 pm. If you are doing a tight schedule on the interview, showing up early may well be a good thing in case something like this happens. I understand this is not the norm, but if you have spent any real time in the Philippines. You start to understand why the Filipinos stand in lines.

Absolutely nothing in your explanation is a reason to queue up on day one in the middle of the night.  

Also,  don't make assumptions about time spent in country 

YMMV

31 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Absolutely nothing in your explanation is a reason to queue up on day one in the middle of the night.  

Also,  don't make assumptions about time spent in country 

Whatever..... There was a time this site was decent. I even used a few years ago to help a friend fill out their fiancee visa. Those days are gone. Kudos to you!!! BTW how many years have you lived here straight? Not just a visit. No is a big part of the culture here. It is not uncommon to run out of a vaccine, need a pregnancy test, or a psych evaluation. Heck if you told me they ran out of the brown envelopes it would not be surprising at this point. All of those things are a real possibility, beyond the fact that it can take a long time just due to the numbers. It is irresponsible to tell people to show up late. Especially if they are on a tight schedule. This is the reality of the Philippines. Yeah some people get out in two hours, but my wife would tell you that is not the norm. I would agree 4 am is too early, but 5-6 would be okay. Especially if you stay close to there.

Timeline
1 hour ago, George & Richelle said:

Whatever..... There was a time this site was decent. I even used a few years ago to help a friend fill out their fiancee visa. Those days are gone. Kudos to you!!! BTW how many years have you lived here straight? Not just a visit. No is a big part of the culture here. It is not uncommon to run out of a vaccine, need a pregnancy test, or a psych evaluation. Heck if you told me they ran out of the brown envelopes it would not be surprising at this point. All of those things are a real possibility, beyond the fact that it can take a long time just due to the numbers. It is irresponsible to tell people to show up late. Especially if they are on a tight schedule. This is the reality of the Philippines. Yeah some people get out in two hours, but my wife would tell you that is not the norm. I would agree 4 am is too early, but 5-6 would be okay. Especially if you stay close to there.

Irresponsible?  Hardly.  Tight schedule?  What does that have to do with anything.   It is a two day affair regardless if you queue up at 3 am or 5 am or arrive at 9 am on the first day.  You still complete the first day exam ON the first day 

YMMV

7 hours ago, George & Richelle said:

My fiance and I didn't want to take any chances whatsoever, but I left the decision up to her, so she chose to go to St. Luke's early in the morning. Now we have a separate issue we are dealing with. Her visa was denied because the embassy wants evidence that her son is her biological son. It appears that the official birth certificate isn't enough. So, I paid nearly $600 for the DNA test in a US-based lab and we're waiting for her appointment to go back to the embassy for the test. Yet more time, yet more money (DNA Test + round-trip flight + hotel + ground transportation/etc.). But it will all be well worth it to have her and her son here with me and we start our new happy family! Thanks to everyone who has responded to my inquiry and others here on visajourney.com. You are ALL such gracious and kind folks!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Edward Becnel said:

My fiance and I didn't want to take any chances whatsoever, but I left the decision up to her, so she chose to go to St. Luke's early in the morning. Now we have a separate issue we are dealing with. Her visa was denied because the embassy wants evidence that her son is her biological son. It appears that the official birth certificate isn't enough. So, I paid nearly $600 for the DNA test in a US-based lab and we're waiting for her appointment to go back to the embassy for the test. Yet more time, yet more money (DNA Test + round-trip flight + hotel + ground transportation/etc.). But it will all be well worth it to have her and her son here with me and we start our new happy family! Thanks to everyone who has responded to my inquiry and others here on visajourney.com. You are ALL such gracious and kind folks!

Visa wasn't denied.  You were given a 221g for additional documentation.   I know of two or three others that had to complete the DNA .. one was very completed .. longer story.  All are in the states now.

You would not believe how many people in the Philippines "adopt" a child at birth .. claiming it to be their child.  It is fairly common and easy to do.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.