freaque

Case termination

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So. Me and my husband failed to finish NVC part and havent contacted NVC in a year. That's what termination letter says:

The Department of State's National Visa Center (NVC) advised you of the necessary steps to prepare for an appointment to file
a formal application for an immigrant visa. Our records indicate that to date you have not contacted the NVC in more than a
year. If our records are in error and you have, in fact, contacted NVC within the last year, or if you have not yet contacted
NVC but still wish to pursue your immigrant visa application, please follow the instructions below immediately.
Completion of these steps is mandatory for the filing of an application at the time of interview. No visa can be issued unless
these steps have been completed.
Section 203(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act requires the Secretary of State to terminate the registration of any alien
who fails to apply for an immigrant visa within one year following notification of the availability of a visa number. THIS
LETTER SHALL SERVE AS YOUR NOTIFICATION THAT A VISA NUMBER IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE.
FAILURE TO PURSUE YOUR VISA APPLICATION BY COMPLYING WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW WILL
COMMENCE PROCEEDINGS TO TERMINATE YOUR IMMIGRANT VISA REGISTRATION ONE YEAR FROM THE
DATE OF THIS LETTER.
To pursue your immigrant visa application and avoid termination of your registration, you must immediately notify the
NATIONAL VISA CENTER AT THE ADDRESS ON THE NEXT PAGE. Upon receipt of your letter, the National Visa
Center will send you information on applying for your immigrant visa. If you do not request information on applying for your
immigrant visa within one year of the date of this letter, your immigrant visa registration will be terminated.
If you are no longer interested in pursuing your immigrant visa application for any reason, please complete the attached sheet
and return it to the National Visa Center at the address given.
If you have any questions or are experiencing difficulty in complying with the above instructions, please contact the
NATIONAL VISA CENTER AT THE ADDRESS ON THE NEXT PAGE or call (603) 334-0700 between the hours of
7:00am to midnight Eastern Time.
Sincerely,
Director
National Visa Center

My husband moved to my place, we have a sponsor now and we wanted to file DCF, but Moscow USCIS field office closed by the time we decided to go back to our immigration process. 

We're trying to find out what to do. Russian Federation is now under jurisdiction of Greece, we emailed them, but those guys don't do I-130 petitions and sent us back to USCIS Lockbox. We emailed them but they say we have to wait up to 30 business days for their answer and most likely are not gonna be helpful because they only respond about processing cases and our is not anymore. 

So we also contacted NVC some days ago and no respond. We also scheduled an appointment at Moscow Embassy next week.

We're trying to contact whoever we can so I thought maybe someone knows something or was in the same situation here and could give advice what else we could do except for starting it all over again.

Thank you.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You already have an approved I-130, so there is no need to file another one by DCF.  

Contact the NVC and keep the case going.  That's all you have to do. 

When do you think you will be wanting to immigrate to the US?

Timeline
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

You already have an approved I-130, so there is no need to file another one by DCF.  

Contact the NVC and keep the case going.  That's all you have to do. 

Thank you, Aaron. That's what was attached to termination letter as well, and that's why I'm wondering:

(Please check one:)
[ ] Yes, I wish to pursue my immigrant visa application, please send me
information on applying for my immigrant visa. I understand I will have to
resubmit all required fees and documents in order to continue the immigrant visa
process.
No, I do not want to pursue my immigrant visa application for one of the following
reasons:
[ ] I have adjusted status. (Please send a copy of both sides of your alien
registration card.)
[ ] I have received an immigrant visa through another petition and am now a
permanent resident. (Please send us a copy of both sides of your alien registration
card.)
[ ] I am no longer interested in immigrating to the U.S.
[ ] Other. (Please explain.)

(Signature)
Please inform us by returning this page to the address below:
National Visa Center
Attn: MFL
31 Rochester Avenue, Suite 200
Portsmouth, NH 03801-2915

Timeline
6 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Well, it's not that we're in a hurry. It's just hard for my husband to find a job here in Russia. All his relatives and the dog are there too. Plus, having a medical education it looks like there's more opportunity for me in the US. I only want to get prepared for moving, save some money for rent and my daughter's school, make sure that I can find a job. DCF was really a good option because I could have started working soon as we move instead of applying for work permit and wait for months til I can get a job.

Edited by freaque

Timeline
Just now, aaron2020 said:

Well, you see your choices in the letter.  You can make your choice and send back the letter.  If you don't return the letter, your case will be closed.  

Yeah, we're just trying to make sure there's no DCF option for us before mailing them. 

9 minutes ago, freaque said:

Yeah, we're just trying to make sure there's no DCF

There is no DCF option as the USCIS office in Moscow is closed unless you have extenuating circumstances.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
15 minutes ago, freaque said:

Well, it's not that we're in a hurry. It's just hard for my husband to find a job here in Russia. All his relatives and the dog are there too. Plus, having a medical education it looks like there's more opportunity for me in the US. I only want to get prepared for moving, save some money for rent and my daughter's school, make sure that I can find a job. DCF was really a good option because I could have started working soon as we move instead of applying for work permit and wait for months til I can get a job.

With the immigrant visa, you can start work immediately upon entering the US. The immigrant visa you get through DCF is no different than the one you get going through the NVC, it's just a different process. They both result in an immigrant visa which becomes a green card upon entry to the US.

17 minutes ago, freaque said:

DCF was really a good option because I could have started working soon as we move instead of applying for work permit and wait for months til I can get a job

If you are CR1/IR1 then you can work right away.   Only K1 waits for a EAD.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

If you are CR1/IR1 then you can work right away.   Only K1 waits for a EAD.

6 minutes ago, tsabbas said:

With the immigrant visa, you can start work immediately upon entering the US. The immigrant visa you get through DCF is no different than the one you get going through the NVC, it's just a different process. They both result in an immigrant visa which becomes a green card upon entry to the US.

Oh really. I guess somehow I got it wrong, we should reconsider finishing our process if possible.

Thank you, everyone

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
22 minutes ago, freaque said:

Yeah, we're just trying to make sure there's no DCF option for us before mailing them. 

Trump is closing all USCIS offices abroad.  DCF will not be an option soon.

Once again, when do you intend to immigrate?  That will inform whether you should continue the current case with yearly communications or just abandon it.   

Timeline
2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Trump is closing all USCIS offices abroad.  DCF will not be an option soon.

Once again, when do you intend to immigrate?  That will inform whether you should continue the current case with yearly communications or just abandon it.   

It's sad.

Like I said there's no rush but we def wouldnt want to go through the entire process again. I'd like to have some months to get stuff done, but I guess if we continue we have plenty of time because all this tax filing and joint sponsor stuff seems a long and complicated process. 

Edited by freaque

6 minutes ago, freaque said:

I'd like to have some months to get stuff done

It is going to take time to finish the NVC and Interview.   You can enter the US within 6 months of the medical.    You can also travel right away with the spousal visa - in case you need to go back to Russia.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

It is going to take time to finish the NVC and Interview.   You can enter the US within 6 months of the medical.    You can also travel right away with the spousal visa - in case you need to go back to Russia.

Well, I'd expect at least 6 months for my husband to finish the process. I did my best before nvc step and we got approved, but i know nothing about filing  us taxes, i don't think i can help a lot with joint sponsorship either. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.