FaintSpartan

Affidavit of Support - Do we have enough?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So, my fiancee and I are in a bit of a pickle. Initially we were going to use her mom has a co-sponsor for the K-1 visa,  however my fiancee got a new job and is far beyond the poverty line now. 

But, here's the catch. She's only been on this job for a few weeks, and she fully intends on staying there for as long as she can. It's a godsend as it makes us immensely more financially secure ( 100% Medical Insurance for her, 50% for me. etc). Her last job (what's on the tax receipt and W2s etc) was barely breaking $10k a year, part time at a furniture store.

Now, while she does technically qualify as someone who can sponsor me financially alone, I'm not sure what we can do to prove to London that she's got the income. So far we've collected the following:

1. Letter confirming her employment, signed by her boss.

2. First paycheck.

3. Bank statement showing the direct deposit as setup from the company.

Is that going to be enough to prove to London of her income? I'm also not sure where that puts us for co-sponsoring because technically we don't need a co-sponsor anymore. We want to have her moms financial details ready as a sponsor just in-case but it's a confusing situation, and we don't want to mess it up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Where are you in the process?  Is the interview imminent?  If not, then I would assume your fiancé will have additional paystubs before the I134 is required.  Does the letter from her employer state that the position is permanent?

Overall, I would probably go with just your fiancé at this point.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, Bill & Katya said:

Where are you in the process?  Is the interview imminent?  If not, then I would assume your fiancé will have additional paystubs before the I134 is required.  Does the letter from her employer state that the position is permanent?

Overall, I would probably go with just your fiancé at this point.

Good Luck!

It's a permanent position, full time. It states so on the letter.

Interview will be at the end of the month, she's paid bi-weekly and we'll only have the one paystub, unless she scans and I print out the second one if she gets it in time. 

1 hour ago, FaintSpartan said:

So, my fiancee and I are in a bit of a pickle. Initially we were going to use her mom has a co-sponsor for the K-1 visa,  however my fiancee got a new job and is far beyond the poverty line now. 

But, here's the catch. She's only been on this job for a few weeks, and she fully intends on staying there for as long as she can. It's a godsend as it makes us immensely more financially secure ( 100% Medical Insurance for her, 50% for me. etc). Her last job (what's on the tax receipt and W2s etc) was barely breaking $10k a year, part time at a furniture store.

Now, while she does technically qualify as someone who can sponsor me financially alone, I'm not sure what we can do to prove to London that she's got the income. So far we've collected the following:

2. First paycheck.

Is that going to be enough to prove to London of her income? I'm also not sure where that puts us for co-sponsoring because technically we don't need a co-sponsor anymore. We want to have her moms financial details ready as a sponsor just in-case but it's a confusing situation, and we don't want to mess it up.

In my opinion I would still use a co sponsor since your have little time on the job. In the eyes of the CO it may appear that you only started working just to pass the poverty line temporarily. i am not saying that is what you did. But you have to cover ALL off your bases to ensure you pass the 1st time around. That is my opinion.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, FaintSpartan said:

It's a permanent position, full time. It states so on the letter.

Interview will be at the end of the month, she's paid bi-weekly and we'll only have the one paystub, unless she scans and I print out the second one if she gets it in time. 

In that case, I would agree and probably still ask the mother to co-sponsor. 

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, FaintSpartan said:

2. First paycheck.

Is that going to be enough to prove to London of her income? 

Yes, based on 10 years of reading what London has accepted, I think it will be enough. They aren't suspicious (like thinking she only got the job to qualify then will quit). That is totally overthinking it. You won't need a bank statement showing it got deposited. They aren't going to to try to pick it apart. Besides the deposit is only her net income after taxes and (probably) her health insurance were held out. It doesn't prove her gross salary. She has a job and makes a good salary as proven by an employer letter. Done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.