Lucre

What is the marriage process to get married in Argentina to be able to apply for the CR-1 after?

23 posts in this topic

I want to get married in Argentina because it is easier for us to do so and then apply for the CR1 visa. I asked the court house and they day I need both birth certificates but I need his translated and apostilled by the consulate. Does it means he need to go to the Argentinian consulated to get it translated or just apostilled?

When I got married in Dominican Republic, I sent my birth certificate to get apostilled in the state that I was born.  When I got there (DR) I got it translated in their language. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lucre said:

I want to get married in Argentina because it is easier for us to do so and then apply for the CR1 visa. I asked the court house and they day I need both birth certificates but I need his translated and apostilled by the consulate. Does it means he need to go to the Argentinian consulated to get it translated or just apostilled?

Are you saying you spoke to the courthouse where you live in  the US .. or in Argentina ? 

If you get married in Argentina then you need to comply with Argentinian laws regarding the marraige process .. US has no involvement. As long as the marraige is legal in the country where it is conducted , the marraige is recognised  in the US.  For the CR1 process you will need the marraige certificate at least translated. The I 130 form and instructions will give you clear instructions. 

Edited by Lil bear

2 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Are you saying you spoke to the courthouse where you live in  the US .. or in Argentina ? 

If you get married in Argentina then you need to comply with Argentinian laws regarding the marraige process .. US has no involvement. As long as the marraige is legal in the country where it is conducted , the marraige is recognised  in the US.  For the CR1 process you will need the marraige certificate at least translated. The I 130 form and instructions will give you clear instructions. 

In Argentina. But as expected, they don't really know how it's done because it's an uncommon case. So they told me my fiance needs to get his birth certificate apostilled and translated in the consulate. But I was wondering if someone had a similar experience just to be sure because, again, they didn't really know and told me what they think

5 minutes ago, MrsRamirez said:

When I got married in Dominican Republic, I sent my birth certificate to get apostilled in the state that I was born.  When I got there (DR) I got it translated in their language. 

Thank you. I'll try to keep asking if it's the same here in Argentina

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lucre said:

In Argentina. But as expected, they don't really know how it's done because it's an uncommon case. So they told me my fiance needs to get his birth certificate apostilled and translated in the consulate. But I was wondering if someone had a similar experience just to be sure because, again, they didn't really know and told me what they think

Thank you. I'll try to keep asking if it's the same here in Argentina

My mistake. I had you in the US not the other way round !! 

Try posting in the regional sub forum ... might get a better response there. 

Edited by Lil bear

17 minutes ago, Lucre said:

May want to check these two sites out

https://ar.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/notaries-public/

https://www.argentina.gob.ar/legalizar-o-apostillar-un-documento

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

4 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

yes! can I ask where did you get that info? I'll need to google like I live in Buenos Aires even though I live in a different city

Birth Certificates issued by a State must be authenticated from the same State.  For example, if you were born in the State of California, your California Birth Certificate will need to be Apostilled from the California Secretary of State.  There is no exception to this rule.  So if you were born in the USA the state that you were born has to do the apostille. (I found that online)

Edited by MrsRamirez

2 minutes ago, MrsRamirez said:

Birth Certificates issued by a State must be authenticated from the same State.  For example, if you were born in the State of California, your California Birth Certificate will need to be Apostilled from the California Secretary of State.  There is no exception to this rule.  So if you were born in the USA the state that you were born has to do the apostille. (I found that online)

ok, so he was born in Indiana. According to your experience he would need to get it authenticated (apostilled) by the State of Indiana and then I can translate it and that should be it?  

Just now, Lucre said:

ok, so he was born in Indiana. According to your experience he would need to get it authenticated (apostilled) by the State of Indiana and then I can translate it and that should be it?  

Yes.  I googled where to send my birth certificate to get the Apostilled.  They had me send in a stamped envelope with my return address so that they could just but the document on it and mail it back.  My husband had someone there translate it in Spanish and we were good to go.  i

Don't use that website though because the rates are too expensive.  research you own state and then they will let you know how much it cost.  That website says starting at $75 and it was not that expensive doing it yourself. 

Apostille/Authentication

How to obtain an Apostille or Authentication

1. Make sure the document is a current, certified copy or notarized by an Indiana notary.
    1. Birth/Death Certificates require state certification. Identification of this version is done by locating a multi-colored signature stamp on the bottom of the certificate.  If the certificate does not consist of the said stamp, contact Indiana Vital Records to obtain this version before submitting to us.
    2. Marriage/Divorce Documents are required to be signed by the current clerk of courts in the county of which the event took place. To confirm the current clerk of each county visit https://www.in.gov/judiciary/files/court-directory.pdf . Once the correct version is obtained, an apostille or authentication can be granted.
    3. School/College Documents need to be notarized by an Indiana Notary. Mentioning these documents need to be notarized for apostille or authentication at the time of request from the school may be beneficial as some schools have a process in place that eliminates some mailing time.
    4. All Other Documents are required to be correctly notarized by a current Indiana notary. Do not know where to find a notary? Start by asking a local bank to notarize the document(s).
  2. Prepare a request form/cover letter. This may be obtained from our website, typed, or handwritten. When creating a request form/cover letter, please include:
    1. Submitter name
    2. Phone number
      1. The phone number included will need for the person we can contact in case of any questions we may have.
    3. Return mailing address
      1. Please make sure to include the city, state and zip code along with the mailing address.
    4. The destination country
      1. The destination country is the country of which is requesting the document(s). If turning them to an embassy, do not list the location of the embassy but the actual country.
  3. Stamp and address a return envelope.
    1. If mailing out of the country, please be sure to include all the correct and required postage.
  4. If applicable, prepare payment of $2 per document. The following documents are exempt from charges:
    1. Birth/Death Certificates
    2. Marriage/Divorce Documents
    3. School/College Documents
    4. Adoption Documents
  5. Package up the request form/cover letter, document(s) needing authenticated or apostilled and the return envelope and send to:

Indiana Secretary of State

Attn: Authentication Dept.

302 West Washington Street Room E-018

Indianapolis, IN 46204

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.