BabiiMarii

Lost GC, Social and Passport

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello.

I recently lost my vital documents. I have been a permanent resident since 2005 and my GC is not supposed to expire till 2025. 

I filed for a GC replacement this week but received a job offer and need to work. I know that USCIS issues I-551 stamps on unexpired passports but what can i use to show legal status if i do not have a passport right now. 

Am i able to show my Notice of Action to my employer?

Please help!

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

That is a good question. You could fill out the new I-9 if you have a picture of your old GC.

I am not sure how legal is that....

I couldn't use my Notice of Action as proof for my EAD, needed to wait for the plastic card to arrive. It might be the same for GC too...

Best would be to ask your employer's legal department what they think about it....

How long would be to obtain a new passport from from your consulate?

Timeline

Yes, I do have a copy of my GC. Maybe you are right, I will ask my employer and see what they have to say.

I am not planning on applying for a replacement passport  because the process is lengthy and i would need to apply for a national I.D. If push comes to shove i will unfortunately have to remain without work till the GC comes in.

Check the list of acceptable documents for an i9 on line.  You need either one item from list A, or one item from list B AND one item from list C.  If you drive,  obtaining a duplicate license should take less than a week, and if you have lost your SS card, you may visit the office and obtain a letter stating that you have applied for a duplicate card.  This may be the easiest way to satisfy the requirements. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, De&E said:

Check the list of acceptable documents for an i9 on line.  You need either one item from list A, or one item from list B AND one item from list C.  If you drive,  obtaining a duplicate license should take less than a week, and if you have lost your SS card, you may visit the office and obtain a letter stating that you have applied for a duplicate card.  This may be the easiest way to satisfy the requirements. 

OK, this sounds like it will work. I do have my drivers license..am I able to get a SS card by showing my license and showing that i have applied for a GC replacement?

3 minutes ago, BabiiMarii said:

OK, this sounds like it will work. I do have my drivers license..am I able to get a SS card by showing my license and showing that i have applied for a GC replacement?

All you will need is a photo ID.  It takes 7 to 10 days to get the card in the mail. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, De&E said:

All you will need is a photo ID.  It takes 7 to 10 days to get the card in the mail. 

Ok. I will go monday morning. Last question: Is this for sure because I thought Non-citizens must show proof of legal status? 

Have you done this yourself ? I do not want to get my hopes up.

12 minutes ago, BabiiMarii said:

Ok. I will go monday morning. Last question: Is this for sure because I thought Non-citizens must show proof of legal status? 

Have you done this yourself ? I do not want to get my hopes up.

I just checked the website. They will not accept a photocopy of your GC or receipt from applying for a replacement. So I think you may have to wait for your replacement GC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.