Orientalelf

DS-160 and eligibility, stressed I'll be questioned?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone, me again (sorry to keep opening new threads) but our case is now "ready" at the embassy and I'm having a bit of panic attack with the DS-160.

The DS-160 asks for my parents addresses and my current employer. As of right now those two things will be "Thailand". I'm stressed the officer is going to question why that is and the reasons for doing the interview in London OR deem me ineligible for London (as I do not currently live at the residential address provided). I travel back and forth but the last time I was in London wasn't long enough (for the 6 month mark they have to say I'm a resident again etc.). Should I ask London whether I am eligible again? I e-mailed them prior to the transfer but didn't state I was currently still in Thailand, I just provided a residential address and proof of citizenship and they said I was eligible :(  

Will the officer be concerned of where I'm working at the moment, where I've been living or how long I've been in the UK? 
Will they be suspicious as to how I'm earning money or how I'm living in the UK without a job? 

Any help would be more than appreciated!

Edited by Orientalelf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I travel back and forth but the last time I was in London wasn't long enough (for the 6 month mark they have to say I'm a resident again etc.).

Who is "they"?  Who did you ask?

As of right now those two things will be "Thailand". I'm stressed the officer is going to question why that is and the reasons for doing the interview in London 

What is your reason?

52 minutes ago, Orientalelf said:

Hello everyone, me again (sorry to keep opening new threads) but our case is now "ready" at the embassy and I'm having a bit of panic attack with the DS-160.

The DS-160 asks for my parents addresses and my current employer. As of right now those two things will be "Thailand". I'm stressed the officer is going to question why that is and the reasons for doing the interview in London OR deem me ineligible for London (as I do not currently live at the residential address provided). I travel back and forth but the last time I was in London wasn't long enough (for the 6 month mark they have to say I'm a resident again etc.). Should I ask London whether I am eligible again? I e-mailed them prior to the transfer but didn't state I was currently still in Thailand, I just provided a residential address and proof of citizenship and they said I was eligible :(  

Will the officer be concerned of where I'm working at the moment, where I've been living or how long I've been in the UK? 
Will they be suspicious as to how I'm earning money or how I'm living in the UK without a job? 

Any help would be more than appreciated!

Did you provide your address, or a random residential address?

Timeline
13 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I travel back and forth but the last time I was in London wasn't long enough (for the 6 month mark they have to say I'm a resident again etc.).

Who is "they"?  Who did you ask?

As of right now those two things will be "Thailand". I'm stressed the officer is going to question why that is and the reasons for doing the interview in London 

What is your reason?

(1) The part about residency is in accordance to gov.co.uk, I'm a citizen by rights of the UK being my home country, but I'm not a "resident. I have to be in the UK for at least 6 months first and was concerned that it would be a problem come interview time. 
(2) Reasons for questioning is that things don't add up? 
- I'm putting down a UK address as my current home address.
- My workplace and parents addresses are for Thailand.
> Thus the officer might say, how long have you been living at this UK address? Do I say I haven't been or do I put a Thai address down? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Orientalelf said:

Thus the officer might say, how long have you been living at this UK address? Do I say I haven't been or do I put a Thai address down

My common sense answer because I have no memory of anything exactly like yours...

I would answer truthfully. If you live and work in Thailand, then so be it. You aren't really dealing with gov.co.uk and what they define as residency. It's the American government and you're a British citizen interviewing in London. I don't think they'll be arsed about the rest. 

A couple of examples I do remember. A Pakistan citizen in overstay on his expired student visa in the UK  interviewed in London. They weren't bothered that he was in England illegally at that point by UK government rules. The Americans aren't the enforcers for UK visa rules. Not their job.  Another (I can't remember specifics) was an African national who had been in the UK but had left. She came back to London as a tourist and stayed with an uncle for her interview. I know she had asked permission from the embassy and they said "no problem". 

You didn't say why you want England over Thailand. If it's not an intent to commit fraud or hide something, then you're probably fine. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

My common sense answer because I have no memory of anything exactly like yours...

I would answer truthfully. If you live and work in Thailand, then so be it. You aren't really dealing with gov.co.uk and what they define as residency. It's the American government and you're a British citizen interviewing in London. I don't think they'll be arsed about the rest. 

A couple of examples I do remember. A Pakistan citizen in overstay on his expired student visa in the UK  interviewed in London. They weren't bothered that he was in England illegally at that point by UK government rules. The Americans aren't the enforcers for UK visa rules. Not their job.  Another (I can't remember specifics) was an African national who had been in the UK but had left. She came back to London as a tourist and stayed with an uncle for her interview. I know she had asked permission from the embassy and they said "no problem". 

You didn't say why you want England over Thailand. If it's not an intent to commit fraud or hide something, then you're probably fine. 

Thank you Wuozopo, I hope no questions are raised but just for good measure I've e-mailed the embassy. 
We transferred because Thailand wouldn't allow co-sponsers for students. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 8:36 AM, Orientalelf said:

Thank you Wuozopo, I hope no questions are raised but just for good measure I've e-mailed the embassy. 
We transferred because Thailand wouldn't allow co-sponsers for students. 

I can't quite find the post now and I've been digging. But somewhere in the UK forum (could have been generic K1 one also though :() is a person who lives in France I believe, but has a UK passport, is a UK citizen. I didn't see any issues on his posts so all been well it'll be the same. 

You've been honest, if they ask, you work and spend a lot of your time there? That doesn't mean that you're not a UK Citizen, hopefully the embassy is ready to reply with additional information for you. 

Edited by LukeU

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Timeline
On 4/10/2019 at 9:51 PM, LukeU said:

I can't quite find the post now and I've been digging. But somewhere in the UK forum (could have been generic K1 one also though :() is a person who lives in France I believe, but has a UK passport, is a UK citizen. I didn't see any issues on his posts so all been well it'll be the same. 

You've been honest, if they ask, you work and spend a lot of your time there? That doesn't mean that you're not a UK Citizen, hopefully the embassy is ready to reply with additional information for you. 

Thank you so much for this LukeU, I actually got a response from the embassy directly that I was permitted to do it in London as long as I was a citizen, didn't matter if I have lived in the UK or not! Very happy and excited to complete this final stage :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.