Laura Hartman

Do I have to complete the medical examination required form I-693 for AOS interview?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi there,

I recently got a letter stating that my interview for AOS will take place on April 16th. I was quite excited to hear from USCIS after such a long time since the last time I heard any updates about my case was over a year ago however, I read the list of all the paperwork I need to put together for the interview within a month and I just started to stress out about it. I've got so many questions and I don't know how I'll manage to get this done with such short notice (the interview is in 20 days) but I was wondering whether I had to complete the medical examination or not. As usual, I've got mixed information from the form instructions and USCIS agents. I had a medical examination before I was admitted to a K-1 visa holder. I filed my Form I-485 within one year of my overseas medical examination. The instructions for the form I-693 states that you are not required to have another medical examination if you filed within one year of your overseas medical examination however when I called USCIS, I was told on the phone by one of their agents that I still require a medical examination since it's been over a year since I applied. I'm not sure about this one and I've already scheduled the appointment. If that's the case, I wonder what the appointment is going to be like, how long, what kind of questions will the doctor ask, if it's going to be like my medical examination overseas where the doctor only saw me for like 10 minutes, did a quick q & a and everyone who went before me was like just answer what they want to hear. Then I got a vaccination record in like 5-10 minutes. Also, the day before the appointment I got a chest X-ray, blood and urine test which did not take more than 10 minutes. I have no idea what to expect from this medical examination if there are going to be unexpected screenings and tests that I am not aware of and will cost me more money than planned as well. Thanks for any further tips, details or recommendations.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The I693 is just a vaccination record to show you have the required vaccinations. You shouldn't have to do blood test, urine, or any x-rays again from my understanding. You have to check where your getting the exam done. I have heard lots of times the doctor will just transpose your vaccination records from your first medical over to the I693 without doing the full medical exam, and of course the cost will be less, then again some USCIS doctors are a little money hungry and will make you do the full medical for around 300 dollars. As long as your original medical vaccinations we're marked complete you shouldn't need to redo a medical. A quick search on VJ will show you what you need to look for on your original medical to make sure it was marked complete, they even have some good photos of the examples of complete and not marked complete.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

The I693 is just a vaccination record to show you have the required vaccinations. You shouldn't have to do blood test, urine, or any x-rays again from my understanding. You have to check where your getting the exam done. I have heard lots of times the doctor will just transpose your vaccination records from your first medical over to the I693 without doing the full medical exam, and of course the cost will be less, then again some USCIS doctors are a little money hungry and will make you do the full medical for around 300 dollars. As long as your original medical vaccinations we're marked complete you shouldn't need to redo a medical. A quick search on VJ will show you what you need to look for on your original medical to make sure it was marked complete, they even have some good photos of the examples of complete and not marked complete.

Actually, the DS3025 is the vaccination record, the I693 is the results from the medical exam. 

To the OP, since the K1 medical is now over a year old, it might be required by the IO when the AOS interview comes up. 

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you are filing Form I-485 under the nonimmigrant fiancé(e), asylee, or refugee category, see the Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, Instructions for more information on whether you need to submit the full Form I-693 or only certain parts because you already had a medical examination overseas.

3.  What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder  and already had a medical examination overseas? If you were admitted as a: A.  K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or B.  K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and C.  You received a medical examination prior to admission, then: (1)  You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination; and (a)  The panel physician did not find a class  A  medical condition during your overseas examination; or (b)  The panel physician did find a class  A  medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility, and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver. (2)  Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements.  If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the  Part 9.  Vaccination Record completed by a designated civil surgeon.  In this case, you must submit  Parts 1.,  2.,  3.,  4.,  6., and  9

First section is from USCIS policy. Second is from the I693 instructions, no where does it say the medical expires as long as you file within a year of overseas medical.

So, double check the DS 3025

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.