samandcarol

Proof of Spousal Relationship (Living outside of US)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I'm preparing to file the I-130 form and want to make sure that I have enough proof of spousal relationship.  My wife and I have been married for 15 years and live in Taiwan at present.  We have a marriage certificate that has been translated into English, but not sure what other proofs we can provide.  Has anyone used a Household Registration as proof?  Any other good proofs that anyone can recommend?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

We used my wife's household registration along with a copy of my ARC as one piece of evidence.  We also used our Taiwan marriage certificate, personal affidavits, pictures,.....We lived in Taiwan for 7 months before I relocated back to the US to start the Green Card process for my wife.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

@missileman Thanks for the reply!  You say that you relocated back to the US to start the Green Card process.  Do you think that's absolutely necessary, or would doing it from Taiwan work well enough?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, samandcarol said:

@missileman Thanks for the reply!  You say that you relocated back to the US to start the Green Card process.  Do you think that's absolutely necessary, or would doing it from Taiwan work well enough?

You can certainly start the process from Taiwan.  You just have to provide credible evidence of your intent to establish domicile in the US.  Some consulates even allow you to undergo DCF (Direct Consular Filing) directly with the consulate......but I don't think it is available for AIT in Taiwan.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
On 3/24/2019 at 11:13 PM, samandcarol said:

I'm preparing to file the I-130 form and want to make sure that I have enough proof of spousal relationship.  My wife and I have been married for 15 years and live in Taiwan at present.  We have a marriage certificate that has been translated into English, but not sure what other proofs we can provide.  Has anyone used a Household Registration as proof?  Any other good proofs that anyone can recommend?

Hi, I'm Taiwanese wife. Me and my husband (in the USA) just got approval for I-130. Besides marriage certificate & household registration, we also included health insurance, photos to prove our relationship and with each other's family, flight tickets confirmation (we are in long distance), and letter from his parents & friend of knowing and support our marriage too. Hope above information could be useful for you. 

We live together in the Netherlands and provided:

- Marriage certificate

- Joint apartment lease contract

- Joint bank and savings account information

- Joint Insurance information

- Photo's

Feb 14 2019: Send I-130(a)
Feb 19 2019: Delivered

Feb 21 2019: Received NOA1 assigned to Nebraska Service Center

Oct 2 2019: Send I-129F

Oct 7th 2019: Delivered

Oct: 11th 2019: Received NOA1

March 30th 2020: I-130 Approved 

April 13th 2020: Case received by the NVC

May 1st 2020: NVC Welcome email received

May 1st 2020: Paid Bills, processed on May 5th 2020

May 15th 2020: First initial submission

May 26th 2020: Final submission

June 1st 2020: DQ NVC

Waiting for interview letter..

18 hours ago, samandcarol said:

@Rosie91Thank you for your input.  May I ask, was your information in English already, or did you have to get it translated?

No it was not, we had to translate everything. Since I am native dutch and my English is good enough to translate it we did it ourselves.

Just make sure you add a note to each translation document. It takes a lot of time, but to have it professionally translated is very expensive and unnecessary 

Note example:

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

hope this helps! :)

Timeline

@Rosie91Wow, thanks for the information!  That is very helpful.  Translating the documents myself is definitely simpler.  That is what I'll plan to do then, since you've mentioned that self-translated documents are acceptable.

5 minutes ago, samandcarol said:

@Rosie91Wow, thanks for the information!  That is very helpful.  Translating the documents myself is definitely simpler.  That is what I'll plan to do then, since you've mentioned that self-translated documents are acceptable.

Your welcome!

Quick question for you, are you moving back earlier than your wife so you can be her sponsor? or do you have some one in the US to be her sponsor?

We are discussing this now at home, what is the best option etc...

let me know!

Timeline

@Rosie91To be honest, I'm just getting started with this whole process, and trying to figure out how it all works, so I haven't really thought about all the details.  So unfortunately I don't have a good answer as far as sponsor goes.  I hadn't planned to go back sooner, but this is also based on having a small child at home.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 6 months later...
Timeline
On 4/1/2019 at 2:22 AM, Sharon & Thomas said:

Hi, I'm Taiwanese wife. Me and my husband (in the USA) just got approval for I-130. Besides marriage certificate & household registration, we also included health insurance, photos to prove our relationship and with each other's family, flight tickets confirmation (we are in long distance), and letter from his parents & friend of knowing and support our marriage too. Hope above information could be useful for you. 

Did you guys apply yourself or had help from a lawyer/immigration agency? I’m struggling as to weather I should fill the forms myself or pay for a lawyer.

Timeline
1 hour ago, islandereden said:

Did you guys apply yourself or had help from a lawyer/immigration agency? I’m struggling as to weather I should fill the forms myself or pay for a lawyer.

We applied ourselves, but we are still waiting for I-130 approval, so I can’t really judge whether it is effective.  But I have read the available information from here and other sites to get an idea of what the best practices are, and I don’t feel like a lawyer could have given us much more help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.