SM84

N-400 Help: Different spelling of name on Birth Certificate and Passport

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I wanted to know how to complete the N-400 as there is a section that asks for the current legal name which apparently should be as per the birth certificate (BC). While applying for residency, it was never asked to provide this name from the BC, instead I was asked to provide as per my passport, so the name that I've used since then is always the name on my passport.

Now the issue is like this. Let say I was born Mathew, but my passport had my name Matthew and I've always used the name in my passport as my legal name. I have all the passports from the time I was born to show the difference between my BC and the Passport.

Now, what is the best way to enter my name on the application without causing too many problems?

18 minutes ago, SM84 said:

Hi guys,

I wanted to know how to complete the N-400 as there is a section that asks for the current legal name which apparently should be as per the birth certificate (BC). While applying for residency, it was never asked to provide this name from the BC, instead I was asked to provide as per my passport, so the name that I've used since then is always the name on my passport.

Now the issue is like this. Let say I was born Mathew, but my passport had my name Matthew and I've always used the name in my passport as my legal name. I have all the passports from the time I was born to show the difference between my BC and the Passport.

Now, what is the best way to enter my name on the application without causing too many problems?

1. Current Legal Name: Use the name on your ID. Some people changed their last name to after they got marry. 

2. Your Name Exactly as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card: Very clear

3. Other Name you have used Since Birth: BC name or maiden name.

12 minutes ago, samuelam said:

1. Current Legal Name: Use the name on your ID. Some people changed their last name to after they got marry. 

2. Your Name Exactly as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card: Very clear

3. Other Name you have used Since Birth: BC name or maiden name.

Do we have to provide proof of name change? In the case where people's last name changed due to marriage, there is a usually a court decree or similar name change document (I assume)

In my case I do not have any such document, hence the reason for my concern.

2 hours ago, SM84 said:

Does anyone know what needs to be done if there is no proof of that change as stated above? Can someone please help?

You could use your marriage certificate. 

If you only changing or adding your spouse surname USCIS shouldn't send you a RFE for proof of name change.

6 minutes ago, samuelam said:

You could use your marriage certificate. 

If you only changing or adding your spouse surname USCIS shouldn't send you a RFE for proof of name change.

I am not taking the surname of my spouse. In this case, I am the husband :)

The issue is just like what I described above, on my BC, my name is Mathew (with a single 't') and on my GC, Passport, Drivers ID it is Matthew (with two 't''s). There was never a real change of name, one letter was added. Essentially, the name can be written both ways just as the example with Matthew or Mathew. 

I hope this makes sense.

Edited by SM84

1 minute ago, SM84 said:

The issue is just like what I described above, on my BC, my name is Mathew (with a single 't') and on my GC, Passport, Drivers ID it is Matthew (with two 't''s). There was never a real change of name, one letter was added. Essentially, the name can be written both ways just as the example with Matthew or Mathew. 

I hope this makes sense.

I think you need to put  Mathew with the single "t" on item 3 -Other Name you have used Since Birth

• 2 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 3/18/2019 at 11:06 PM, SM84 said:

I hope this makes sense.

I'm on the same boat and had the same question. I have an E on my last name as per the BC, but all my life I've used A and consequently all my IDs contain A. I was wondering what you ended up filling the form with and how was your experience with that approach? Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My birth certificate says last name Dey, but everywhere De.   During interview , I told them that I dropped "y" when I applied passport and they did not say anything.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.