Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
babbitt

looking for experience with VAWA (split)

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blunt said:

how can we help..we can be of help too we help ourselves on here 

Sure.  My ex-wife filed for and received relief under VAWA.  It's a long story and I don't want to get into details, but her claims of abuse during divorce were weak and refuted to the point that the court was satisfied to award me full custody of the children.  

 

I'm interested in marrying a filipina; we are looking at both K1 and CR1 and I understand the pros and cons of each.  

 

However, I do not know how the VAWA claim will affect my application.  Impact on the K1?  Impact on the CR!?  

 

If there is an impact, can I address it proactively somehow?

 

I've never filed for an immigration benefit, other than the I-130 for my ex-wife nearly twenty years which sat in limbo because of our immigration quagmire.

Edited by babbitt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, babbitt said:

Sure.  My ex-wife filed for and received relief under VAWA.  It's a long story and I don't want to get into details, but her claims of abuse during divorce were weak and refuted to the point that the court was satisfied to award me full custody of the children.  

 

I'm interested in marrying a filipina; we are looking at both K1 and CR1 and I understand the pros and cons of each.  

 

However, I do not know how the VAWA claim will affect my application.  Impact on the K1?  Impact on the CR!?  

 

If there is an impact, can I address it proactively somehow?

 

I've never filed for an immigration benefit, other than the I-130 for my ex-wife nearly twenty years which sat in limbo because of our immigration quagmire.

i dont think it will have any effect on your petition for your fillipina wife..where is she presently ..if shes in america it would be easier...where is she?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blunt said:

i dont think it will have any effect on your petition for your fillipina wife..where is she presently ..if shes in america it would be easier...where is she?

Thanks.  My filipina is in PI.  We haven't decided where to marry yet.  I'm in favor of the CR1 because I think the timelines between the two aren't meaningfully different at the moment.  She is aware of the VAWA claim, at least what about the claim I'm aware of, and she's aware of the legal issues I've had with my ex-wife and their outcome.  So nothing truthful would come as a surprise to my filipina should she be asked.  

 

So, would you recommend that I just don't mention the VAWA claim?  I would have to disclose the prior I130, but leave it at that?  Would anyone reviewing the application ask me how the I130 was resolved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, babbitt said:

Thanks.  My filipina is in PI.  We haven't decided where to marry yet.  I'm in favor of the CR1 because I think the timelines between the two aren't meaningfully different at the moment.  She is aware of the VAWA claim, at least what about the claim I'm aware of, and she's aware of the legal issues I've had with my ex-wife and their outcome.  So nothing truthful would come as a surprise to my filipina should she be asked.  

 

So, would you recommend that I just don't mention the VAWA claim?  I would have to disclose the prior I130, but leave it at that?  Would anyone reviewing the application ask me how the I130 was resolved?

with my best knowledge why do you wanna discuss about the vawa claim..that has nothing to do with you atall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Blunt said:

with my best knowledge why do you wanna discuss about the vawa claim..that has nothing to do with you atall

I don't want to discuss it; my prerogative would be to leave it unsaid.  I had heard, albeit from a source with unknown reliability, that it may present a problem in sponsoring a K1 or CR1.  

 

Unless I hear concrete information otherwise, I'll just disclose the I-130 and leave it at that. 

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, babbitt said:

I don't want to discuss it; my prerogative would be to leave it unsaid.  I had heard, albeit from a source with unknown reliability, that it may present a problem in sponsoring a K1 or CR1.  

 

Unless I hear concrete information otherwise, I'll just disclose the I-130 and leave it at that. 

 

Thanks.

@babbitt Just FYI this thread is for VAWA petitioners to share stories/timelines, get and give advice and support. Your post should be in the Effects sub forum as its own thread- not part of the VAWA thread. I can ask a mod to move it for you.-

 

Anyway- you do not need to mention your previous spouse had a VAWA claim that named you as the abuser. The VAWA case she filed means USCIS makes a ruling on whether or not she was/is a victim of abuse- NOT a ruling of whether or not you are an abuser. It sounds like mincing words but its actually a very specific legal distinction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Post and related replies split off to its own thread. Please do not derail the VAWA thread as it is very specific thread.~~


Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×