14 posts in this topic

Hey, Everyone! 

Just asking for for some advice about after the whole GC process? I have my card it was a really quick process which I was very pleased about. I have searched for some advice online about what to do next after receiving my GC but I have only found the information about removing the conditions. Do I have to do any updating? My SSN Card has “Work purpose only” do I have to update this? 

Any my advice or to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 minutes ago, CannonTop90 said:

Hey, Everyone! 

Just asking for for some advice about after the whole GC process? I have my card it was a really quick process which I was very pleased about. I have searched for some advice online about what to do next after receiving my GC but I have only found the information about removing the conditions. Do I have to do any updating? My SSN Card has “Work purpose only” do I have to update this? 

Any my advice or to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks! 

After I received my greencard, I went to Social Security and my state DMV to update my records to show I was a permanent resident. I was issued a new SS card and a new driver license because they said the name had to match USCIS records (my greencard name). There was a middle initial that had to be added in order to match. They both asked if I had waited 10 days for USCIS records to be updated. Not quite 10 days, but the record of my LPR status was there. The exact same thing happened after naturalisation. New card/license because my certificate had a full middle name instead of initial.

13 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

After I received my greencard, I went to Social Security and my state DMV to update my records to show I was a permanent resident. I was issued a new SS card and a new driver license because they said the name had to match USCIS records (my greencard name). There was a middle initial that had to be added in order to match. They both asked if I had waited 10 days for USCIS records to be updated. Not quite 10 days, but the record of my LPR status was there. The exact same thing happened after naturalisation. New card/license because my certificate had a full middle name instead of initial.

Great! Thank you so much for that information. I’ll get that done ASAP! 👍🏻

I sort of did the opposite and by that I mean I did nothing, after I got my green card. The only thing I did was to complete another I-9 at work and gave them a copy of the green card. My SS card still had the “Valid to work with INS authorization only” (it’s not a typo, it’s that old). I finally got a new SS card after I got naturalized because the SS people had a table outside of the courtroom so it was convenient. Otherwise I despise going to the SS office.

1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

I sort of did the opposite and by that I mean I did nothing, after I got my green card. The only thing I did was to complete another I-9 at work and gave them a copy of the green card. My SS card still had the “Valid to work with INS authorization only” (it’s not a typo, it’s that old). I finally got a new SS card after I got naturalized because the SS people had a table outside of the courtroom so it was convenient. Otherwise I despise going to the SS office.

Yeah I know what you mean about the SS office it’s a nightmare. I think it will be best just going in to get a new card anyway so it will save any trouble in the future. May I ask, my GC is valid for 2 years and I have heard a lot of people talking about waiting 5 years before naturalization, is this correct?   

Timeline
13 minutes ago, CannonTop90 said:

Yeah I know what you mean about the SS office it’s a nightmare. I think it will be best just going in to get a new card anyway so it will save any trouble in the future. May I ask, my GC is valid for 2 years and I have heard a lot of people talking about waiting 5 years before naturalization, is this correct?   

You are eligible for citizenship three years from the date printed on your greencard IF you remain married to the USC spouse that your marriage-based greencard was based on. If you do not stay married to that spouse, you wait 5 years from the date on your greencard before you are eligible.

14 minutes ago, CannonTop90 said:

No. If you have a 2 years conditional GC, at the end of the 2 year, you have to file form I-751 removal of conditions. It is vital that you do that prior to your GC expiration. 

If you live in marital union with a US citizen for 3 years after you receive your GC, you can apply for naturalization at the end of that 3 years. If not, you have to wait 5 years.

4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

you remain married to the USC spouse that your marriage-based greencard was based on.

Just a minor side note: the 3 year rule doesn’t care how the green card was obtained. As long as the person has a green card and stay in marital union with a US citizen, that person is eligible to apply under the 3 year rule.

For example: I got my GC from my employment, but I applied under 3 year rule because my wife is a US citizen. 

59 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You are eligible for citizenship three years from the date printed on your greencard IF you remain married to the USC spouse that your marriage-based greencard was based on. If you do not stay married to that spouse, you wait 5 years from the date on your greencard before you are eligible.

Great! Thanks again. So happy that the process is going smoothly. Without this website I would be so lost you guys are a great help. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, accumbyte said:

Did they check the code on the back of the GC. Usually the front just has the middle initial but USCIS records have the full middle name. In the example below the middle name is "Void":

Green_Card_FrontBack-thumb-225x297-611.j

They did not examine the card. They (SSA and Texas DMV) both use the SAVE database. At both places, the ladies typed on their computers then said we have to issue you a new card/license. I assumed that came from the database. My previous had no middle initial. 

Edited by Wuozopo

22 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Until I have my Green Card in the US will I not be able to get my SSN from the social security office?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
22 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Just a minor side note: the 3 year rule doesn’t care how the green card was obtained. As long as the person has a green card and stay in marital union with a US citizen, that person is eligible to apply under the 3 year rule.

For example: I got my GC from my employment, but I applied under 3 year rule because my wife is a US citizen. 

^^^^^^^^

I got my green card based on marriage, got divorced, remarried, and am almost able to apply under the three-year rule at the same time as the five-year rule.

Doesn't have to be the same USC who petitioned originally, doesn't even have to be a marriage-based petition.

20 minutes ago, Apelcina said:

Until I have my Green Card in the US will I not be able to get my SSN from the social security office?

If you entered on the immigrant visa and checked the box that you wanted SSN on the DS-260, things should happen automatically. 

Give it 4-5 weeks. If no SSN arrives in the mail, go to the SS office with your passport/visa. They should be able to tell if there is a number issued for you, or if there is a problem

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.