Lights

Tell me about your experience bringing your parents over

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know somebody about the same age and her Insurance is $1,000 plus of course deductible and uninsured items plus co-pays etc.

So I assume they will want to allocated say $30k and sounds like they have they money to take care of this.

Post 65 buy into Medicare etc well I know the costs now, in the future who knows.

Pretty sure Medicare does not cover care homes etc.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

OP is lucky because her parents are from close by and a country that is very similar to the US.  Language will not be a problem and they have the resources to buy insurance.  They will likely blend in very quickly.  We get a LOT of Canadians here in Florida for the winter and there never seems to be any issues. 

My inlaws are here from Russia just visiting... for 2 1/2 months.  They have been here before so this is not new for them, but they were never here quite this long.  They don't speak English.  They don't drive.  I work and my wife has been suffering from some health issues so we have not been able to do as much with them as we have in the past.  They are getting kind of bored, and mother in law is used to spending time with friends and doing various activities.  Now they must stay at (our) home.  I'll bet they won't be back, at least not for this long a visit.

My inlaws are also in their 70's and I worry about their health and the possibilities of an accident/sickness that could be VERY costly.  They would NEVER be happy living here, and they would drive me nuts!

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Wouldn’t be the first, won’t be the last! Immigrants with an independent income definitely have a luxury in work choice that many don’t. 

I know we are very lucky to have that.  I believe if it wasn't for seeing my grandparents struggle, even in the Canadian healthcare system (although this was like 15 years ago), we may not have had the exposure to have foresight.  

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I know somebody about the same age and her Insurance is $1,000 plus of course deductible and uninsured items plus co-pays etc.

So I assume they will want to allocated say $30k and sounds like they have they money to take care of this.

Post 65 buy into Medicare etc well I know the costs now, in the future who knows.

Pretty sure Medicare does not cover care homes etc.

Wow!  But I believe it.  When I did an initial quote with my agent, I got Bronze at $1483 (there's Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum) and as high as $3050 for platinum (though the price is for both).  This policy would be for blue shield.  I hadn't looked into exactly what's different but I told him whats important to me is the "catastrophic" incidences.  My parents are very proactive with their health (well, my mom more so than my dad but he's not bad). If we had to pay the co-pays for multiple appointments, that's okay.  If we have to pay a bit on prescriptions, that's okay.  But we'd like for our insurance to cover us (knowing that premiums will be higher) if something happened that required more extensive care.  We're still looking around at this point because we haven't even filed the paperwork yet and things will likely change. 

Medicare I don't believe cover care homes.  Same thing with our province in Canada.  Assisted living facilities under the government would still be majority of pension and/or income (insurance doesn't cover it).  I guess it would be the 'cheaper' option if they had to go to assisted living to pay that in Canada... but again it goes back to it's lesser in Canada, but still out of pocket, and the fact they would be there alone... especially when one passes before the other.  It's a hard one for me. 

30 minutes ago, Neonred said:

OP is lucky because her parents are from close by and a country that is very similar to the US.  Language will not be a problem and they have the resources to buy insurance.  They will likely blend in very quickly.  We get a LOT of Canadians here in Florida for the winter and there never seems to be any issues. 

My inlaws are here from Russia just visiting... for 2 1/2 months.  They have been here before so this is not new for them, but they were never here quite this long.  They don't speak English.  They don't drive.  I work and my wife has been suffering from some health issues so we have not been able to do as much with them as we have in the past.  They are getting kind of bored, and mother in law is used to spending time with friends and doing various activities.  Now they must stay at (our) home.  I'll bet they won't be back, at least not for this long a visit.

My inlaws are also in their 70's and I worry about their health and the possibilities of an accident/sickness that could be VERY costly.  They would NEVER be happy living here, and they would drive me nuts!

Yes, definitely!  I felt very lucky when I moved here because I adjusted well and easily.  The only difference was that I got a lot more warm weather than when I was in Canada :P.  I live in Southern California and it's a melting pot.  When they are out and about, people never think they're tourists.  We still use "we're Canadian" when someone tries to get us to sign up for a department store credit card, though.  Haha! 

LOL that's really where I'm getting at.  My parents, love them to bits, but can definitely drive us nuts.  Our current home has a little bit of separation currently, so they'll feel like they have some space versus being confined to a bedroom.  The good thing is that they are independent so issues with language and getting around (i.e. them getting their drivers license etc) isn't a problem.  It will likely be the first thing my dad does because he loves driving around.

Edited by Lights

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I brought my parents to the US and it works out well for me, but I have very strong support system. I would not be able to do it alone without my supportive spouse and his parents. 

TimeLine

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2007-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) : none

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-30

NVC Received : 2007-11-05

NVC Left : 2007-11-06

Consulate Received : 2007-11-09

Packet 3 Received : 2007-11-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-11-23

Packet 4 Received : 2007-12-16

Medical Taken : 2008-01-03

Medical Passed : 2008-01-04

Interview Date : 2008-01-11

Interview Passed : 2008-01-11

Visa Issue : January 18th 2008

USA ENTRY : January 23rd 2008

POE Entry : Seattle Washington

Wedding : February 9th 2008

Social Security Card Received: February 19th 2008

Civil Surgeon I693 signed : April 14th Vaccinations Complete.

AOS: Sent on April 15th 2008 USPS Confirmed . April 17th 4:56 Am

AOS: Hard Copy Received NOA1 April 22nd all 3 arrived same day.

Biometrics : Received Appointment Letter Today April 27th = May 23rd 2008 10 am appointment

Transfered CSC June 4th

EAD: Approved June 13th 2008

EAD: Recieved Card June 18th 2008

AP: Approved June 13th 2008

AP: Received June 18th 2008

AOS:touched :Card ordered July 26th

Approval: AOS : Aug 4th

Green Card :Received : Aug 5th with Welcome Letter . 2 years Dated July 26th

Thank You USCIS

Thank You Visa Journey...........................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, hope2018 said:

I brought my parents to the US and it works out well for me, but I have very strong support system. I would not be able to do it alone without my supportive spouse and his parents. 

My spouse is very supportive as well.  We're very lucky to have found someone who understands family the way we do. 

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have been lucky nothing of consequence for decades my Brother less so but he is in the UK so not an issue, well a financial issue, I know he still can not get his head around the US way. However many times I try to explain.

Supportive family is of course good, but the medical costs...

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.