minglevi

My family member had interview and decision can not be made yet because of address

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

She passed civic and English test but officer has problem with address proof.

She temporarily moved to NJ and she was in NJ 3 months before the application.

She provided bank statement , USPS change of address (temporary which was expired on date of interview) and health insurance coverage from provider in NJ (amerihealth)

But officer said this is not your permanent address.

So decision was - 'decision can not be made yet about your application.'

What should she now?

I am wondering why they did not say anything about it before they scheduled interview ?

IF they had problem ..they  asked before interview and she could have submitted.

Btw when will they notify for further action?

This does not mean they have denied application but it means it is pending correct?

and is it possible that after further review they might accept the application without any further proof/info from her?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

yes, as is states, they are reviewing the case, it is pending, the officer wants to make sure, that they have jurisdiction over her case since she moved from another state, and you have to wait 3 months from the move to apply for citizenship

She applied in October and she moved to NJ in May 2018.

So yes she was more than 3 months resident of NJ before she applied.

She was still a resident of NJ on the date of interview but I think only problem was...usps change of address (mail forwarding) was only for 6 months.

Mail forwarding started in May 2018 and ended in Nov. 2018. Officer said to her ..this USPS change of address is temporary and expired. When she said you have NJ health insurance and bank statement ..he said those documents can be faked.

Do you think this expired change of address which was temp ...was the problem.

I thought they would consider NJ health insurance and latest bank statement.  

Do you think she should try to get NJ state issued ID? (non driver)

5 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

well if she doesn't drive she can get a state ID, if she does drive, she should have all her ID's with her new address

Yes she can get non driver state ID but I am asking if she should get the ID right away or she should wait until she hear something from USCIS? either email or regular mail.

She said officer asked for state issued ID but she did not have it ..she offered her health insurance card and bank statement but officer said this can be faked so he did not accept those.

Now what will they do ..they will send her a letter explaining the reason why it was not approved or they will not send anything at all?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would suggest that she get a NJ official state ID now so that if they ask for more evidence you can send it to them right away.  And if she gets approved without it, she'll have it for future use anyway.  An in-state driver's license or state ID is always good to carry, it comes in handy for many purposes.

Well I just found out that her case is transferred to another uscis field office for review.

We dont know which filed office yet but I am assuming it is Seattle office. 

Because during interview officer said it looks like your stay in NJ is temporary.

She agreed to that during interview and said my permanent residence is WA state.

That brings another question...they have transferred to Seattle office ...what will they require ?

She is living in NJ since May 2018 so Seattle office will ask her to file a new application ?

And she has to reside for at least 3 months before she can file new application?

It looks like state issued ID was mandatory.

Officer asked her to show ID but she never made it.

She was following instruction on interview notice and state issued ID was at all mentioned.

If they mentioned that in the interview letter..she had enough time to make one.

Is this new norm for USCIS not to mention about state issued ID in the list of documents recommended?

What does NJ law state? When is she deemed a resident? Why would she say her permanent residence is in WA if she lives in NJ?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

16 minutes ago, NikLR said:

What does NJ law state? When is she deemed a resident? Why would she say her permanent residence is in WA if she lives in NJ?

She has been in NJ for  more than 183 days so ..to my understanding she is already a NJ resident but she did not provide state issued ID.

That changed officer's mind. 

All her tax returns filed were from WA state ..I think that is why I think officer said WA is your resident state.

6 minutes ago, minglevi said:

She has been in NJ for  more than 183 days so ..to my understanding she is already a NJ resident but she did not provide state issued ID.

That changed officer's mind. 

All her tax returns filed were from WA state ..I think that is why I think officer said WA is your resident state.

But she agreed.  Therein lies an issue.  If you say my permanent residence is WA then they say okay bye. Whats done is done.  She'll have to interview in WA. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.